General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Need some exhaust knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some exhaust knowledge

Ok let me start by saying ive done tons and tons of research on here reguarding headers and exhausts for the LSJ but i have a few unanswered questions and would like some opinions

First i started looking for a header/dp that i would like disreguarding price and came up with:

ZZP long tube/dp combo- some reviews said this header added some what of a 'rasp' and was kind of loud even with stock cat back, good quality, a few mentioned p1133? CEL after installing. (p1133 was mentioned from posts a few years old, potentially non-existant anymore?)

Badmab- A lot of raves about this header but by the sounds many gasket problems with it

vibrant/dp combo- havent found any quality issues but a few mention it being fairly loud, but not much of a 'raspy' loud, price is quite high.

Next, i went on a cat-back search which ended fairly quickly for me listening to sound clips, until today..

ZZP 2.5- again some reviews of it being pretty loud and raspy, a lot of raves on quality

Hahn- quite a few good reviews, but not sure i like the thought of putting a 3" on a stock LSJ (thoughts) love the sound

ARK- not many reviews that i actually found but the few i did made it sound pretty good, loved the sound clips of this exhaust the best by far, extremely high price tag (900+?)

Based on my research im liking the vibrant header/dp and either the hahn or ARK, having a hard time choosing which is why i come here for a few answers i didnt get. I really dont want a lot of loud drone inside the cab since i commute the car quite a bit, but id definitely like a little more sound than stock. Also, i want to keep my mid range power being that i do a lot of street driving and very little high rpm driving. Very much trying to steer clear of rasp or very loud obnoxious sound, and definitely trying to avoid CEL from sitting on (ocd thing?) Car will probably never go turbo or 300+ HP just small mods here and there.

thoughts/suggestions?
best places to buy these setups?
definitely still open to more opinions on setups and brands
Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 PM

My biggest question is do you understand exhaust gas flow ? That is a pretty big factor in deciding what style type or pattern, you will benefit more in the top end from the long tube vs a shorty or "midlength" and sacrifice some back pressure,

I can only speak for Megan racing as I have spent a good deal of money with them and all I can say is positive from their service to quality of products good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bflee
My biggest question is do you understand exhaust gas flow ? That is a pretty big factor in deciding what style type or pattern, you will benefit more in the top end from the long tube vs a shorty or "midlength" and sacrifice some back pressure,

I can only speak for Megan racing as I have spent a good deal of money with them and all I can say is positive from their service to quality of products good luck!
I cant say i KNOW how it works and the benefits and falls of each setup, the only thing i did come across was someone mentioned LSJs not being as sensitive to 4-1 or 4-2-1 and lengths or something because they dont rely on backpressure as much? not really sure, but here to learn thats why im asking before i go buying random stuff without knowing what im getting
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 PM

I have the LT header/dp combo from ZZP with their 3 inch cat-back, I have no rasp at all, just get a catted downpipe, and the resonator for the cat-back and you'll be in business. Yes it's pretty loud at WOT, but have a sexy agressive sound and a nice rumble at idle. It's louder than stock but not raspy. For the CEL, yes I have a p1133 sometime coming out, i'm just erasing it, it's only because of the header. The quality is great and since 1 year, I havent seen any sign of corrosion (I drive it the winter here in Quebec and there's salt everywhere -.-)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDugas
I have the LT header/dp combo from ZZP with their 3 inch cat-back, I have no rasp at all, just get a catted downpipe, and the resonator for the cat-back and you'll be in business. Yes it's pretty loud at WOT, but have a sexy agressive sound and a nice rumble at idle. It's louder than stock but not raspy. For the CEL, yes I have a p1133 sometime coming out, i'm just erasing it, it's only because of the header. The quality is great and since 1 year, I havent seen any sign of corrosion (I drive it the winter here in Quebec and there's salt everywhere -.-)
any idea if the p1133 is a zzp thing or just happens with all aftermarket headers on these things?

and does anyone know where the vibrant header/dp can even be purchased online?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:39 PM

I have ZZP mid length header/ dp combo and their 2.5" resonated cat back.

Absolutely no rasp and it's the deepest LSJ I've heard yet.

If you want deeeep, get a Borla exhaust or muffler.

Shorty, midlength and long tube (from what I understand) is pretty much where you want your power, low end or top end.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Reedy17
any idea if the p1133 is a zzp thing or just happens with all aftermarket headers on these things?

and does anyone know where the vibrant header/dp can even be purchased online?
I'm not sure about this, because I only tried this one on my car, and it's perfect for me, maybe someone else can tell you for the code.