General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New to the cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the cobalt SS

Well Im new to this forum and Im going to pick up my 2007 cobalt SS/SC on saturday . I own a 2002 grand prix GTP with I/E/3.4 pulley/ awesome tune/ 3" downpipe/ SS intercooler and a few other mods . The car dynoed at 253 whp before my second tune and cutout .

Well anyway it all started by me watching videos on many superchared cobalt SS cars racing random fast cars and winning. It just amazes me that a stock cobalt can go stay side by side with my car from a roll . These cars are like (In my own words) a 4 cylinder LS1 camaro/firebird in its own diffrent class .What I mean is the ss cobalts have rediculous topend power for what it is . Im just so impressed with it . This is the reason im buying it .

BUT .............dont get mad at me but I have never driven a stick car but only once in my life . Im 21 years old and am paying for this car all on my own . How hard is this car to drive ? I dont plan on flooring it AT ALL until I get 1500 to 2000 miles on it . I AM JUST THRILLED ABOUT THIS CAR !!!!!

Next .......Im also getting the Stage 2 package done next monday and am getting a good deal through the dealer since im buying the car . Should I throw in the GM intake too or should I just put in a drop in filter ? Is an intake actually gonna give me alot more HP than a drop in filter for these cars ? I also have no plans of throwing on an exhaust either unless its very cheap and VER Y quite .

Let me know what you guys think ... Thansk
Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GM doesnt make an intake for the 2.0sc

take your time learning to drive stick. its gonna be tough on an ss/sc
Old 06-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
GM doesnt make an intake for the 2.0sc

take your time learning to drive stick. its gonna be tough on an ss/sc
I plan on taking my time and learning to drive it . I will get it .....it just takes time .

So what can I do about an intake for the car ?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 PM

An intake will give you a little bit of power, but will really make your car scream.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art
An intake will give you a little bit of power, but will really make your car scream.
What about a K&N drop in filter ? Will that give a power increase ? Will I be able to hear the supercharger with the drop in filter ?

Thank you for helping me out
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan07SS
Well Im new to this forum and Im going to pick up my 2007 cobalt SS/SC on saturday . I own a 2002 grand prix GTP with I/E/3.4 pulley/ awesome tune/ 3" downpipe/ SS intercooler and a few other mods . The car dynoed at 253 whp before my second tune and cutout .

Well anyway it all started by me watching videos on many superchared cobalt SS cars racing random fast cars and winning. It just amazes me that a stock cobalt can go stay side by side with my car from a roll . These cars are like (In my own words) a 4 cylinder LS1 camaro/firebird in its own diffrent class .What I mean is the ss cobalts have rediculous topend power for what it is . Im just so impressed with it . This is the reason im buying it .

BUT .............dont get mad at me but I have never driven a stick car but only once in my life . Im 21 years old and am paying for this car all on my own . How hard is this car to drive ? I dont plan on flooring it AT ALL until I get 1500 to 2000 miles on it . I AM JUST THRILLED ABOUT THIS CAR !!!!!

Next .......Im also getting the Stage 2 package done next monday and am getting a good deal through the dealer since im buying the car . Should I throw in the GM intake too or should I just put in a drop in filter ? Is an intake actually gonna give me alot more HP than a drop in filter for these cars ? I also have no plans of throwing on an exhaust either unless its very cheap and VER Y quite .

Let me know what you guys think ... Thansk

Its not to bad driving, launching the car is tough though. Just like anything practice will make perfect. Good luck and welcome to the club

What about a K&N drop in filter ? Will that give a power increase ? Will I be able to hear the supercharger with the drop in filter ?

Thank you for helping me out
To answer your question, yes.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 06-12-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Id avoid K&N
these cars have a very picky mafs and computer....
the oil from an oiled filter tends to throw cels and cause idling issues.

try and stick with a dryflow type filter.

I have a K&N intake...because the quality is great, and it comes with a hydroshield...but i threw an AEM dryflow filter on to avoid oiling the mafs
Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM

like i said in other new member threads, if the front end starts to bounce, get off the gas if you like your axles
Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Pretty damn cool guys ! Im really exited now ! Thank you so much for the advice
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM

you can do the airbox mod frees up that STUPID BOX! just use a dryflow fileter and i'd switch it back if you take it the dealer. https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ghlight=airbox
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Id avoid K&N
these cars have a very picky mafs and computer....
the oil from an oiled filter tends to throw cels and cause idling issues.

try and stick with a dryflow type filter.

I have a K&N intake...because the quality is great, and it comes with a hydroshield...but i threw an AEM dryflow filter on to avoid oiling the mafs
That is such crap lol. I have the injen CAI and it works awesome. I'm living proof that the injen is very good. I have the fastest stage II time on the site and never had a single problem with my car. No cels or anything. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but honestly if you know how to clean the filter correctly and re-oil it its fine. Over 7k miles with mine on.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 PM

What do cobalts usually run with the stage 2 kit plus a drop in filter . Ive tried searching but ive gotten mixed results . Also what kinda traps could I expect with those mods . There is a guy over on clubGP.com with a cobalt SS with the stage 2 running 13.8 and trapping 106 MPH !! That is a freaking sweet trap speed . That would kill my GTP from a roll lol .
Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
like i said in other new member threads, if the front end starts to bounce, get off the gas if you like your axles
This is very good advice.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Welcome aboard, bring your shield and flame suit for a while.. and get used to "USE THE SEARCH OMG!!" .

So what color SS/SC you planning to get? With the high wing or the low pro wing? Gunmetal or polished wheels?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
That is such crap lol. I have the injen CAI and it works awesome. I'm living proof that the injen is very good. I have the fastest stage II time on the site and never had a single problem with my car. No cels or anything. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but honestly if you know how to clean the filter correctly and re-oil it its fine. Over 7k miles with mine on.
dude you cant post 1 opinion to prove something is true.
you cant have 500 people say its great....if 300 say they got cels from it...
and therefore not say a word about the cels...
over the long period ive been watching this issue..about half of people who have an oiled filter have issues with them.

sure its not a huge issue....and its easily fixed for the most part....
but some people dont want to deal with that.
and its at least our job to pass on that information.

sure, lots of people do great with them.
I didnt say your garunteed to have a problem....and oiled filters are ****.
Oiled filters have been around for years, and have been a huge part of performance engines for a long time.
but the simple fact is, our sensor/computer are picky as hell, and they dont like oil.

Im just giving him a heads up, because some people dont want to deal with CELs at all.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
Welcome aboard, bring your shield and flame suit for a while.. and get used to "USE THE SEARCH OMG!!" .

So what color SS/SC you planning to get? With the high wing or the low pro wing? Gunmetal or polished wheels?
I usually do search its just ive been getting mixed results with 1/4 mile times and traps . Im buying a black SS with the high wing and polished wheels .

The only thing is that im not sure if mine comes with the LSD . Could this possibly be a bad thing and what does the LSD do for us ?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Welcome, Don't pick on us SS/NA and LS/LT guys.
We can dish as well as we receive.

Happy modding!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM

I usually do search its just ive been getting mixed results with 1/4 mile times and traps . Im buying a black SS with the high wing and polished wheels .

The only thing is that im not sure if mine comes with the LSD . Could this possibly be a bad thing and what does the LSD do for us ?
LSD is a great option to have. When I bought mine it was only 1500 extra well worth it. It would cost more to get it later. Search LSD and someone has wrote up a nice expination about what it does and how it works.

dude you cant post 1 opinion to prove something is true.
you cant have 500 people say its great....if 300 say they got cels from it...
and therefore not say a word about the cels...
over the long period ive been watching this issue..about half of people who have an oiled filter have issues with them.

sure its not a huge issue....and its easily fixed for the most part....
but some people dont want to deal with that.
and its at least our job to pass on that information.

sure, lots of people do great with them.
I didnt say your garunteed to have a problem....and oiled filters are ****.
Oiled filters have been around for years, and have been a huge part of performance engines for a long time.
but the simple fact is, our sensor/computer are picky as hell, and they dont like oil.

Im just giving him a heads up, because some people dont want to deal with CELs at all.

I agree and disagee. Its all about how you install it. One imperfection and your computer will go nuts. Those 300 people with problems had a problem installing plain and simple. People have had cels with dry flows too you know. It can always be a combo of things also.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 06-12-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 PM

I agree and disagee. Its all about how you install it. One imperfection and your computer will go nuts. Those 300 people with problems had a problem installing plain and simple. People have had cels with dry flows too you know. It can always be a combo of things also.
hes 100% correct, most of these intakes are from big name manufacturers, they know what their doing, if it was a design flaw...it would get addressed to protect their reputation

if installed/oiled right the oil filters wont mess up your maf
Old 06-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
hes 100% correct, most of these intakes are from big name manufacturers, they know what their doing, if it was a design flaw...it would get addressed to protect their reputation

if installed/oiled right the oil filters wont mess up your maf
Thanks for backing me. +rep. Ok, done jacking this thread its so easy to do. Sorry new guy. I'll answer your question.

You asked me how I run with stage II and intake. I'm not sure on those mods.

Mod List:
Stage II
GMP Exhaust
Injen CAI
Ingall's ETD

13.6 @108 People tried to call BS on it but other members seen me run that in MD and they seen my mods. I also posted slips. I honestly think the balts run very very quick over here on the east coast and with the right conditions. I think with traction a balt with all GMP can run high 12s. That is with some type of slick or drag radials. I hope this helps. Also keep in mind. I do not always run 108 traps. That was my best and only did I hit it once. I normally trap around 106-107.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM

you mean like the design flaws that still exist with quite a few of the "big name" manufacturers?

I know what your saying and I agree for the most part that the oiling/install/reoiling process has alot to do with it.

but, you have to realise that this guy is new to the car, and whether its install/reoiling, or whatever the reason, generally the numbers of people having issues with an oiled setup, are higher than dryflow.

like i said. Im not knocking it as a setup, hell i have a K&N CAI.
I just feel its 1 less thing to worry about to go with dryflow.

its not like im telling him not to buy Injen, or K&N CAIs.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks for backing me. +rep. Ok, done jacking this thread its so easy to do. Sorry new guy. I'll answer your question.

You asked me how I run with stage II and intake. I'm not sure on those mods.

Mod List:
Stage II
GMP Exhaust
Injen CAI
Ingall's ETD

13.6 @108 People tried to call BS on it but other members seen me run that in MD and they seen my mods. I also posted slips. I honestly think the balts run very very quick over here on the east coast and with the right conditions. I think with traction a balt with all GMP can run high 12s. That is with some type of slick or drag radials. I hope this helps. Also keep in mind. I do not always run 108 traps. That was my best and only did I hit it once. I normally trap around 106-107.

Thanks for that ! Pretty damn cool , these freakin cobalts are definetly underated . Do I really need exhaust to trap that high ?

Also ....Im alittle confused now on to what drop in filter I should buy ? What is the name brand and where can I get it ? thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 PM

you mean like the design flaws that still exist with quite a few of the "big name" manufacturers?

I know what your saying and I agree for the most part that the oiling/install/reoiling process has alot to do with it.

but, you have to realise that this guy is new to the car, and whether its install/reoiling, or whatever the reason, generally the numbers of people having issues with an oiled setup, are higher than dryflow.

absoutly, if somone asked me what intake id get, id say aem cause i prefer the dryflow, just saying most people who have problems is from over oiling, or a loose connection
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks for that ! Pretty damn cool , these freakin cobalts are definetly underated . Do I really need exhaust to trap that high ?

Also ....Im alittle confused now on to what drop in filter I should buy ? What is the name brand and where can I get it ? thanks

I have to ask, if you had a GTP I'm guessing you have some exp. with cars. Can you install simple things like intakes and exhaust? If so I think a intake would be a good start. That was my first mod. Also to answer your question, yes I think you should or need exhaust to trap that high. You can get a nice GMP catback set up for around 400 bucks. Stainless and everything. As for the intake, I hear good things about Injen, and the drop ins are ok too. I personally like the injen and Fujita or w/e its called.

I agree with you on that one. That is a very true statment. I think he has some exp with cars and modding if he had a GTP though.

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 06-12-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ryan07SS. Congrats on the SS/SC and have fun modding.

Quick Reply: New to the cobalt SS