General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

New to the Site, Cobalt SS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Site, Cobalt SS Questions

Hey, I'm new to the site and just looking around for information.

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang now and I am looking to get a new car. Ive looked the Dodge SRT-4, Subaru WRX, VW GTI 20th Anniversary, and now the Cobalt SS. So far it seems like the Cobalt SS is going to be my best bet. Its going to be the cheapest to insure out of the bunch. But I have a few questions about the car first off.

I know about the G85 package, but is it only for the '06 models or the '05 too? If its only for the '06, then did any '05 come with a LSD? For those without the G85 or the LSD, how is driving? Is it just an open differential then with only 1 wheel getting power?

What exactly is wrong with the doors and cats?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:36 AM

There are 2005s with the g85 package. I do not have it and the only time I notice it was in snow and if you take a turn while accelerrating hard on slippery conditions. To get from point A to point B, I don't see it as a neccessity. But if I had to do it all over again, I would get one with g85.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:54 AM

the LSD is good too have but not really a must(atleats i think) but the g85 is worth getting even if you dont want the LSD only because of the seats!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by strickensix
Hey, I'm new to the site and just looking around for information.

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang now and I am looking to get a new car. Ive looked the Dodge SRT-4, Subaru WRX, VW GTI 20th Anniversary, and now the Cobalt SS. So far it seems like the Cobalt SS is going to be my best bet. Its going to be the cheapest to insure out of the bunch. But I have a few questions about the car first off.

I know about the G85 package, but is it only for the '06 models or the '05 too? If its only for the '06, then did any '05 come with a LSD? For those without the G85 or the LSD, how is driving? Is it just an open differential then with only 1 wheel getting power?

What exactly is wrong with the doors and cats?
Lets not get back on the G85 comparo again. stickensix, to answer some questions; G85 was in some 05's, but few. The doors, passanger door panels material around the switch bezel is pulling up on most(cosmetic), bezel needs to be larger, GM working on a fix. The cats going bad, this has happened on a very few and is rare, not much to worry about. In reallity, if one car has a problem then it's the end of the world to most . You will always hear about the negatives of something before the positives.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Yeah i had a probelm and still do have a problem with the cat but i still love my car. It is the best one i have bought. Going through 3 cars and only being 19 I would have to say that I love my cobalt and do not see myself upgrading for another 3-4 years. G85 is nice because of the seats. The LSD only works around corners so if you are going to Auto-X then you should get it.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM

Today I went out and test drove the 2005 Cobalt SS S/C and I was impressed. Unlike the SRT-4 I went to test drive, I got to drive these SS for a long time. I got use to get, after the test drive, when I got in my Mustang, I thought I was still driving the Cobalt . The interior was pretty nice, especially the seats. The driver door handle bezel had some paint chipping. Other than that, the car was great. It was definetly more than I expected. The interior is really really quiet and well built, I had a hard time even telling the car was on when I was at a light. Great car.

The next step, take the parents down and have them test drive it.