General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

The Next Miata

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Next Miata

These latest photos, taken at the German race track Nürburgring, capture a prototype of the next generation Mazda MX-5 Miata.

The overall shape and size of the new Miata is so close to the current model that at first it appears to be the current model with little disguise on it. Looking more closely, however, one can see that this is an entirely new car. The most apparent clue that this is indeed a new car is the shape of the doors and the side windows. The rear edge of the current Miata's doors is nearly vertical, while the doors on the prototype have an angled rear edge. Also, the current Miata has a large triangular section of fixed glass at the leading edge of the window, behind which is a rectangular retractable window. The new Miata has a very small triangle of fixed glass, behind which is an enlarged window that is tapered at the front to fit against the windshield pillar.

At the rear the gas filler of the new Miata is located further to the rear, and the rear fenders are more rounded on top. Taillights are also entirely new, with the clear plastic over chrome look now used on several other Mazda cars.

The disguised front end is also completely new, with a flatter hood and a higher cutline between the hood and the front bumper/grille. All these changes will bring the Miata a modern look, while still leaving the car instantly recognizable.

A rotary engine is expected as an option on the new Miata, due in dealerships late in 2005.

pictures and original article here
http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...8&article=7662
Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

not bad i guess it looks ok. Though i'm not really a fan of the Miatas. Every year when my friends and I go to the....dealers auto show (i don't know what to call it) he tries to see if he'll fit in a Miata, but never happens cause he's to tall. So maybe this time he'll fit. I hope it'll be at the pittsburgh auto this year i look forward to seeing it.
Like i said its an ok car IMO.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

I can't fit in Miata's either. Well I can, but very uncomfortably. I've never really liked the styling of the Miata either, but it's popular, maybe because it doesn't really have any direct competition. Hopefully the Solstice can change that, IMO it has a good chance since its an all-around bigger and better car from what we've heard of it.