General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Purchasing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Purchasing Advice

Hey there. I feel totally out of place here being a Honda driver. However, I am seriously considering the purchase of Cobalt SS Supercharged. I figured that it would be best to ask drivers of this car some questions. First off, a short test-drive did nothing to tell me much about the cars characteristics. I could always go by the magazines, but they play around with the facts too much. Anywho, so how does this car drive. Any and all of your experiences with this car would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should spend more time driving the car to get the best perception.

Asking for advice here you'll get a lot of biased opinions, so my best advice is to do more test driving.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:19 PM

You should talk to ExHondaMan. As the name implies he used to own Hondas, but now has an SS S/C.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM

When you first get it the handling is awsome but over time it gets a little mushy in the turns. i wish i would have gotten the G85 package. the pirellis suck. the rims chip easy. its alot of fun to drive. i'll put some more in later
Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
You should spend more time driving the car to get the best perception.

Asking for advice here you'll get a lot of biased opinions, so my best advice is to do more test driving.
Indeed. That's actually a good call. How about this: after having driven your cars for a while, do you still LOVE it?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
When you first get it the handling is awsome but over time it gets a little mushy in the turns. i wish i would have gotten the G85 package. the pirellis suck. the rims chip easy. its alot of fun to drive. i'll put some more in later
Hm...not a good thing. I was talking to a salesperson at dealer via e-mail, and the guy said that their is no LSD for the cobalt. What's up with that?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoonerOX
Hm...not a good thing. I was talking to a salesperson at dealer via e-mail, and the guy said that their is no LSD for the cobalt. What's up with that?

Then he doesn't know crap. Its available (the ss/SC specifically) with the G85 package. (Recaro fronts and a LSD) don't buy one without it.

I have my 95 jdm sohc swapped coupe still. And I really like to drive both of them, for different reasons, like torque in the ss/sc.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:36 PM

That's what I thought. I'm thinking this guy is an idiot of the worst kind. I swear I read that the car has an available LSD. Seats are cool..the LSD is crucial. Thanks for the info.

And thank God! I'm not the only owner of a Honda here. I thought I was going to be crucified!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM
The Stig

Indeed. That's actually a good call. How about this: after having driven your cars for a while, do you still LOVE it?
Oh hell yeah. I never get tired of it.

As for the handling, I have not noticed any difference from when I bought it. It corners great.

I do not have LSD on my Cobalt but I also have had no problems without it. I would recommend it however.. just because you also get the Recaro seats.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what I thought. I'm thinking this guy is an idiot of the worst kind. I swear I read that the car has an available LSD. Seats are cool..the LSD is crucial. Thanks for the info.

And thank God! I'm not the only owner of a Honda here. I thought I was going to be crucified!

pfft. Hell no. We have a penchant for banning idiots, therefore in general its a nice atmosphere.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 PM

The handling isn't that much worse, just needs a antisway bar in the rear to tighten it up a bit.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Domestics Pwn

Just curious... What kind of Honda/Acura are driving now ? Any mods ?

I think the SS/SC is pretty decent handling... Coming from imports (Honda pretty much) I think the steering sucks... Response is decent but the road feel/feedback is not very good. Suspension is actually pretty good... Stiff but not too stiff... Car doesnt roll too much (actually quite a bit less then my old GSR, stock vs stock).
The nicest thing coming from the "H" to this car is a little thing called TORQUE... the SS actually has some ! Dont get me wrong... I love HP and high reving but for a daily driver the car is awesome.
I really like my SS and would be hard pressed to go back (although the new SI is definitely looking nice)... If there were more power making options RIGHT NOW.. I would be the happiest man alive.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
The handling isn't that much worse, just needs a antisway bar in the rear to tighten it up a bit.

I agree that the handling has seemed to loosen up alittle, but I think it is from pushing it more and more in the turns. I'm debating heavier sway-bar or stiffer springs, the rear seams to lift alittle too much into the turn.

Oh, and as far as the thread starter, I love driving this car more and more everyday! The G85 is still avaliable, someone did post an email they recieved expaining the problem with GM's sight.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:21 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by ExHondaMan
Just curious... What kind of Honda/Acura are driving now ? Any mods ?

I think the SS/SC is pretty decent handling... Coming from imports (Honda pretty much) I think the steering sucks... Response is decent but the road feel/feedback is not very good. Suspension is actually pretty good... Stiff but not too stiff... Car doesnt roll too much (actually quite a bit less then my old GSR, stock vs stock).
The nicest thing coming from the "H" to this car is a little thing called TORQUE... the SS actually has some ! Dont get me wrong... I love HP and high reving but for a daily driver the car is awesome.
I really like my SS and would be hard pressed to go back (although the new SI is definitely looking nice)... If there were more power making options RIGHT NOW.. I would be the happiest man alive.
Torque..now that's a novel concept! I think I'll go to another dealership tomorrow to see if they'll let me get on the throttle a little bit. This last guy didn't let me..on top of telling me that and LSD was not available. Thanks bro.

By the way EROD....This forum is one of the best i've seen. Very friendly with minimal flaming.