General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Some Cobalt Questions: Sound system, traction, handling in rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Cobalt Questions: Sound system, traction, handling in rain

This is something that's been puzzling me since July and I can't get a straight answer. On the Chevy.com website when I build my SS Sedan the 7 speaker Pioneer system is already checked and grayed out which leads me to believe that it's a standard item. I am also getting the 4 SPD auto and the sunroof package. I am not getting the 6 disc changer or the XM package.

Yet other websites and the paper brouchure from the dealer say that the 7 speaker Pioneer system is an option.

So, who knows the truth? My dealer said my car will come with it and that it's not an add on to what I am ordering. But initially he wasn't sure and I am not so sure that the Chevy literature he has isn't telling him two different things as well (I trust him and he is knowledgeable about he cars he's selling and he's not a slimeball high pressure guy).

Did any of you order or receive the 2007 SS Sedan with a sunroof package and auto?

Oh, one more thing, is Electronic Power speed-senstive steering and/or traction control, all speed the same as electronic stability control?

Also, how are these things regarding traction and road handling in pouring, driving rain and on very wet and hilly roads?

Thanks for your time and sorry for the ******* questions, but I confess I don't know all there is to know about these sweet little cars.

BTW, Aug. 30 I go in and order it!

Cheers,
Keith
Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 PM

The Pioneer system is pretty much standard on the SS models. The power steering won't feel any different from any other car you've driven. The traction control is a HUGE pain in the ass... it likes to "control" the car by cutting the gas and leaving you with a dead pedal... typically at the worst possible moment. You punch it to get out into traffic... get about 2 seconds of gas (just enough to get you into the first lane) and poof... it goes dead... leaving you punching at a "dead" pedal with oncoming traffic.

Worst feeling in the world.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:09 PM

Does the traction control activate only when one of the wheels is slipping, or going to slip? I take it you have it and that you have an auto trans (is traction control possible in a manual?).
Old 08-26-2006, 05:16 PM

I had a SS/2.4 Coupe w/Auto for 8 months... then traded for the SS/SC.

The traction control activates when one of the tires is slipping... which can happen relatively often if you floorboard the 2.4 from a standstill...

My bad experiences with the traction control all occurred when turning left across multiple lanes of oncoming traffic. Hit the gas.. turn the wheel... get just far enough to be across the first oncoming lane... then bam... dead. Had to lift off the gas, then floor it again, and was thankful that it was another car coming, and not a Mack truck.

That lead me to doing any kinds of "risky" moves like that while keeping the transmission in "L" which turns the traction control off. If you live in a big city where traffic is a pain in the ass, and you'd consider yourself a mildly agressive driver... the traction control will be aggrivating. Thankfully putting it in "L" or getting a ECM tune can disable the traction control.

And no... there is no traction control on the manuals.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I live in the NY metro area, but I'm not an aggressive driver. I'm just doing regualr driving with this car, but I wanted something that looked cool. Can't do maunal due to knee problems.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Heheh... NY traffic... yeah... you should be just fine. The 2.4 is a great car... and I enjoyed mine thoroughly. Got 25MPG... had plenty of power when I needed it... and looked great to boot. The SS Sedans are really nice... too bad they don't make them with the supercharger too LOL.

Have you taken one out for a test drive yet?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:25 PM

The dealers didn't have any when I was shopping around in late July, but the guy I picked to buy one from was very clear to tell me that the engine would be different from the LT that I was test driving. I haven't driven that engine yet, but I know I'll love it, it'll be a totally new experience for me. I have a 4 banger Jeep Wrangler now with no power, so it'll be nice. Plus, I can keep the Jeep for fun and shitty weather.

How's it do in heavy driving rain and on slick/wet surfaces? I live in a pretty hilly/mountainous area (western end of Metro area).
Old 08-26-2006, 05:28 PM

I never had any problems in the rain... and with the extra power it handles hills just fine... no having to struggle up hills with the engine screaming the whole way like with some weaker cars.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 PM

Nice, thanks for the convo man. In regards to the Pioneer system, what's in the trunk and do I lose trunk space?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:35 PM

The pioneer system uses an innovative "free air" design 10" subwoofer. It's mounted in a thin box on the inside of the trunk... you won't lose any cargo space, and this thing really chunks for a factory system. The system also includes two small tweeters that are mounted up on the door.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:37 PM

If you were curious.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks man, you rock!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 AM

Anyone else have a 2007 SS Sedan? How do you like it?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 PM

electronic stability controle is not available on cobalts. I dont even think chevy has ESC, do they. I know its still relativly new to the public.

Yeah whats up with the sound system? last month on the website under cobalt specs it read that pioneer was an option for ss sedan and soupe, but it requires leather seats. I looked at it recently and it reads its standard. I think it really is standard though, because the ss base price has rissen like 1000 dollars. Leaves me to believe they added more standard stuff like MP3 player, pioneer. and whats up with xm standard on sssc?

About handeling in crappy conditions... I would expect it to handle poorly in bad weather, just like any other car.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the input dude. Anyone else have any insights to any of this?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Do any of you live in hilly terraine? How does the car handle on slick and hilly roads? I wont' be used to being so close to the road because I have a Jeep and sit high up.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:11 PM

bump