General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

SS\SC Price Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS\SC Price Question

I've went in to order an 06 ss\sc, and of course the employee discount price doesn't apply, but they went down to 1,000 over invoice which is about 700 off of MSRP. Do you think other dealers in the area would do better than that, or do you think that is about as low as it will go since it has to be ordered. There are very few ss\sc's that have even been in this area at all for sale. Ended up being like 24,400 with everything except XM and retail is like 25,300.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

Hey man, glad you came on here and posted before buying the car. If you're not well informed, dealerships will take advantage of you.

As for the price - seems much too high, unless you are getting the Performance Package with the Limited slip diff and Recaros. Don't believe the BS dealers will tell you about the employee discount not applying, it damn well DOES apply, and to ALL the Cobalt models. Make them well aware that you know this fact, and if they still won't give you the ED, walk right out, no questions asked.

I went on CarsDirect for you, and priced out a Cobalt SS S/C as close as I could from what you described. With everything but the G85 Performance Package and XM, it comes to $21,626. Thats much better than the $24,400 you were quoted. If you did in fact order the G85, then the CarsDirect price is $22,931.

I got all the priced from this site: www.carsdirect.com They include all factory rebates, as well as the GM Employee Discount.

Just go on there, build you car with the options you want, and then print it out and bring it to the Dealer. If they won't watch the price, then you can just walk out and go to another dealer. You can also send a price quote to the dealership through the CarsDirect site, and ten the rep from the dealer will call you back if he is willing to match the price.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with
Old 07-26-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Don't believe the BS dealers will tell you about the employee discount not applying, it damn well DOES apply, and to ALL the Cobalt models.
WRONG!! I got this right off of gm.com

GM Employee Discount for Everyone Event

From now until August 1, 2005, enjoy the GM Employee Discount on almost all 2005 GM vehicles across all divisions.* For the first time in history, everyone in America gets the GM Employee Discount.

It only applies to 2005 models ONLY. Do you honestly think a car manufacturer is going to give discounts on new models only to have their current year models sit on dealer lots ready for the recycling bin? Sorry, but if you want a 2006 you're going to have to pay. As for the dealer offering a $1000 over invoice, take it!!! I think you need to determine what invoice is first in order to be sure you're getting a good deal.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 PM

Thanks Guys!

I looked at carsdirect and they couldn't do an official quote on an '06 with performance package.

That, and the weather is so nice I had to get the car tonight so I went and ordered it.

Got a silver SS\SC, with sunroof, g85, onstar, side airbags for $24,400 which is just about $1,000 more than invoice (23,516). I probably could have saved a few hundred more by going all over the place, but the sales guy was cool, and I didn't want to wait any more than I have to.

So, if all goes well I'll be in my new ss\sc in about 6-8 weeks. I already can't wait!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:49 PM

i wish i waited for the performance package, it is killing me cuz all i do is spin spin spin..

but at the dealership i went to, the sticker was 23,000 and i walked out w/ it for 21000, xm, red and black leather, that zylon or whatever its called coating, a 6 year 60,000 warrenty..i dont know if that was a good deal or not, but they were the only dealership in walworth county to have one just sittin on the lot for a couple of weeks....i got caught up in the moment and bought it, but eh oh well..i love my car now and nothin is gonna change that...lol
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM

I ordered my 06 SS/SC with XM and sunroof and am getting it for right at invoice. I went in to order it prepared to have to haggle with the guy and didn't b/c that was the first offer he made. He said that since I ordered it he could give me it for invoice.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by KillerNutz
I ordered my 06 SS/SC with XM and sunroof and am getting it for right at invoice. I went in to order it prepared to have to haggle with the guy and didn't b/c that was the first offer he made. He said that since I ordered it he could give me it for invoice.
There are two invoice cost - manufacturer's and dealer's. There is a sizeable difference between the two. You're still getting a good deal regardless if you're not paying MSRP - IMO.