General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Stealerships at it again..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TKolb325
The main problem I have with this situation is that bringing in reciepts of purchasing oil proves nothing. After going to the dealership I went and bought 7qts of oil since I will need an oil change in 2k miles, and figured may as well get it now and have the reciept. The receipt says 7 qts of mobil oil. It says nothing about 5w-30. PLUS, just cause I bought it doesnt prove that I even did the oil change. But that isnt the main point.

The reason this situation upsets me is because that the majority of times ive gone in to get warranty work done, the dealership looks for a way to get out of it. But not just looks for a way, but stretches all sorts of bullshit excuses. One of many stories I have is that my axles were clicking a while back. I brought it into the dealership, and they immediately said it was my strut bar. I told them that a friend of mine that has a cobalt had the same problem but doesnt have a strut bar. They told me that their mechanic has been working for 20 years on chevy's and knows his stuff, and he said the strut bar is causing it. I then talk to my buddy who directs me to the dealership he goes to, and they fix the problem in less than 20 minutes. The axles just needed a lube. The first dealership was so quick to dismiss me because of a minor modification that they didnt bother to do their job. AND warranty work is their job. I dont know the inner workings of the disadvantages of warranty work, but everytime i have a problem, they try to blame it on one of very few aftermarket parts that I have.

But back to what you were saying anomolous..

"i find it strange that you think GM doesnt have the right to know wtf you have been doing with your engine before they spend money on it?"

Did i say they dont have the right? No, they can ask all the questions they want. But the impression the tech gave me(and i may have gotten in wrong. we will see when i go in later this week) was that unless i produce the reciepts, they won't cover my warranty. So unless the oil change was done at the dealership, there is no real proof that one was ever done. A jiffylube reciept can be bullshitted, and an autozone reciept for oil doesnt mean i actually changed the oil, or even used the right oil.
I opened this thread with the first conversation i had with the tech. The tech didnt ask me about proper maintanance, or how long its been happening, or if i have any guesses as to what may have caused it. He IMMEDIATELY insinuated it was related to my exhaust. No politeness even though i was extremely cordial. No questions about what exactly was entailed in my exhaust upgrade. He just went straight to diagnosis that it was most likely related to my exhaust. Thats not asking "wtf i have been doing with my engine." Thats telling me that it is most likely not GM's fault. But the best part about that is that this was my second visit to the dealership over the same problem. The first time i went in they said not to worry about the ticking because it wasnt loud enough. I didnt like that answer but fine. But this second time, when i came in and talked to this tech the lady i spoke to on my first visit saw me, came over, and whispered something into his ear. He said "What?" and she said "just look at the notes" refering to the service notes attached to my history record. Thats when he started up with the insinuations. So I barely got out my name before the blaming started. That isnt the way it should be. Yeah, ask questions. You have to ask questions. But dont immediately make accusations that relieves GM of responsibility. The lady even refered to me as Mr. Supercharged.. Yeah, i'm 23 years old, and drive a car with a big spoiler, but that doesnt give you the right to group me in with the kids that demand reflashes that clearly arent warranted, or the kids that go 40k miles without an oil change. All i want is the benefit of the doubt that i may not be a punk ass kid. After all, from what i understand, it is on the dealership to prove that im an *******, not on me to prove that i'm a responsible vehicle owner..

So anomalous, i truly am sorry that you have to deal with crazy kids that expect warranty work that OBVIOUSLY isnt warranted, but in a case like this, like you even said, warranty work is most likely warranted, so i dont think i deserve to be treated like some ******* kid that is asking for the world. I spent alot of money on a vehicle that GM promised was a quality product. And unless they can prove that I have fucked it up, i think they should atleast look into fullfilling their responsibility before they try to blame it on me.

I understand, and i agree with you. but all im saying, is you need to look at it from their side too.
it sounds like they are being a bit **** about it, but they see some pretty stupid ****....
its hard to avoid assuming that people are stupid when you see it day in day out lol.

I dont mean to say you dont deserve warranty, im just playing devils advocate.
they just want to make sure your not another idiot who fucked something up, and expects gm to pay for the problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
I understand, and i agree with you. but all im saying, is you need to look at it from their side too.
it sounds like they are being a bit **** about it, but they see some pretty stupid ****....
its hard to avoid assuming that people are stupid when you see it day in day out lol.

I dont mean to say you dont deserve warranty, im just playing devils advocate.
they just want to make sure your not another idiot who fucked something up, and expects gm to pay for the problem.
Regardless, their job is to be polite to the customer, and take care of things FIRST. THEN if they find out that the customer is a RETARD, they can deny whatever they feel neccessary. NOT the other way around.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

try another dealer

and it doesnt have to be a chevy dealer, i work at a pontiac/bucik/gmc dealer and we do warranty stuff on chevy's as well

Last edited by tkosmen; 02-10-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2008, 12:51 AM

hmm interesting.. i think i will make a few rounds to other GM dealers if i continue to get the shaft at my current one.

thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming if ya got some..
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

Do you have onstar? They keep a record of oil life. I know it's not a receipt but at least it's something.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Damn, no onstar. Thats interesting though. Thanks for the input
Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
My dealer is great, they never give me any problems over warranty work, but then again I used to work there. I'm friends with one of the main techs, and the Service Manager loves me. I took the car up for an oil change last month and the lube tech brought me a golf ball sized wad of rubber and vht from the bottom of my car. He says "looks like you've been having fun" I was standing there talking to my tech buddy and the Service Manager, they both laughed and asked me if I at least won.

I do however take care of the car and they know that. Technically my tune voids the warranty but I talked it over with them before I had it done and they are cool with it. I had the GM Stage 2 but I wanted a little more. They even recommended I get the stage 3 pulley. Hell my tech buddy is trying to talk me into getting a nitrous kit for it. I'm not going that route though, the car runs good, its quick and above all its reliable.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm jealous...