General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Warranty Denied...all read

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Denied...all read

im just curious of how many cobalt ss/sc's are out there and are broken and have been denied warranty work. id like to know why, what u did, and what GM said. my transmission is stuck in 2nd gear and my transaxle broke and they denied me warranty work because of 'driver abuse'. now they didnt say what caused the problem, nor did they look into it. they just said 'driver abuse' and now im screwed. i sent letter to Better Business Bureau and also a local news channel to see if they would investigate it for me. please post with ur experiences. my car broke on 9/18/06, they didnt touch my car till 9/22/06. they call me on 9/23/06 saying it wont be covered. ive been without my car for a little over a week and they didnt even give me a loaner car.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 PM

sue lol

BBB is the wayt to go mang
age also has to do with it.... been there
Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usually any problems w/ the transmission on any occasion the dealer will try to deny you coverage..... epecially if your under 25. I blew my axles and tranny mounts w/ 3 thousand miles (long story)
any ways they tried to say since i had barely any tire tread on the front tires i was doing burnouts or something.... i went online and got reviews for the stock dunlop sp sport 9000s and they has a 2 out 10 rating for tread wear people said on there cars they were having to replace them after 4k. So i brought that into the dealer they said "O" then they said its because i dont know how to drive stick (which at the time was true) just got my 1st manual lol..

so i ended up paying 1300 bucks rather than fighting the dealer because i didnt feel like waiting anylonger my beautiful car!

what did i learn from this **** dealerships when it involves transmissions anything else i love them
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 PM

nah . i had to take my car today to the dealership for my check engine light. they told me it was throwing codes cuz of the in-dash dvd player and playstation and system being hooked in there. They wouldn't reset the codes without me giving them 90 bucks. even after they said that the codes weren't correct because everything was fine that the codes were going off for.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM

yo im in li too what dealership did u buy it from? Huntington Chevy was very helpful for me try them.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

a lot of times if you take a car in for a warranty claim, the warranty company will send an insurance adjuster out to take pictures and look it over and crap. if they see anything aftermarket they will deny it and it will become a customer pay deal. that could have been the case here.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jeremie
a lot of times if you take a car in for a warranty claim, the warranty company will send an insurance adjuster out to take pictures and look it over and crap. if they see anything aftermarket they will deny it and it will become a customer pay deal. that could have been the case here.
Maybe the adjuster guy saw the timeslips from Englishtown and Atco raceways...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM

my car is back to stock except for a downpipe and a k&n filter. im not paying for this crap and i will take GM to court if needed. the gm rep cant just 'look' at my car and deny it. ill make him pull it out, open it up and PROVE it was abuse. so much for thinking if i buy a new car i wont have to worry bout repairs....shouldve just bout a used supra, sti, or evo. even at the tracks, i never really beat on the car...nice easy roll off launches.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:25 PM

Read this my Freind

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/looking-some-advice-warrenty-33012/

I was completly shut down for warrenty, matter is 100% closed.
car is 6 weeks old, and I got treated like dirt, they still have possesion of the car, along with the keys, hope they have fun with it
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by inhale
my car is back to stock except for a downpipe and a k&n filter. im not paying for this crap and i will take GM to court if needed. the gm rep cant just 'look' at my car and deny it. ill make him pull it out, open it up and PROVE it was abuse. so much for thinking if i buy a new car i wont have to worry bout repairs....shouldve just bout a used supra, sti, or evo. even at the tracks, i never really beat on the car...nice easy roll off launches.
I don't think you got a 13.8 doing easy roll launches...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 PM

yea i ran a 13.8 with an ez launch. my 60' was a 2.5x so i def. didnt leave hard. incog, im thinking bout doing the same thing. my credit was horrible 7 months ago. i bought the new car to help it out but i dont really care if i ruin my so called credit right now because its not too much better. i feel like just throwing the keys at them and telling them to 'f off'. im SERIOUSLY thinking bout getting a different car....a car that is actually covered under warranty. im going to make gm pay for all my so called missed days of work, a fake tranny replacement bill, buy me an extended warranty, plus money for wasting my time and giving me a headache. id rather pay a lawyer 3k then give it to GM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 PM

You guys are scaring me, I think the clutch is going bad after I got stage one and aftermarketed to stage two+, I never beat on my car either or I wouldn't be getting 30 mpg+ intown and hiway, Now im not so sure that the tranny isn't F'ed up. did these just snap or was there wierd noise leading up to the total failure of the parts?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 PM

Screw gm and there bullshit warranty. I will never let them touch my car ever again.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 PM

yea i ran a 13.8 with an ez launch. my 60' was a 2.5x so i def. didnt leave hard. incog, im thinking bout doing the same thing. my credit was horrible 7 months ago. i bought the new car to help it out but i dont really care if i ruin my so called credit right now because its not too much better. i feel like just throwing the keys at them and telling them to 'f off'. im SERIOUSLY thinking bout getting a different car....a car that is actually covered under warranty. im going to make gm pay for all my so called missed days of work, a fake tranny replacement bill, buy me an extended warranty, plus money for wasting my time and giving me a headache. id rather pay a lawyer 3k then give it to GM.

It sucks that your car broke but from your sig it seems you fucked the trans up at the track so it's really not a warrenty issue. Putting your car back to stock and taking it to the dealership is FRAUD, so I can't see how you can be that upset. The point of a new car warranty is not to sponsor your racing career.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 PM

Side note I have been completely shut out from ever getting my wheels warrentied again for the pealling paint issue on the 05 balts. I had them replaced at 11,000 with a little arguing and at 20,000 the new wheels are pealling again. I told the dealer and the call GM in frount of me and the told them no way the first set was abused so they are not even refunding the dealer for the warrenty work....not the dealers that are the problem GM's warrenty department.... I now have 29,000 on my 05 and the car is being limped around cuase i am afraid to step on the gas with clutch issues, no fun driving like that, but I now see all the trans failures sounds to me GM won't stand behind there cars.. Bumper to Bumper my @ss.... This is the Last GM I buy!!!!!! My family use to Buy all GM's too but this car is really making them think about changing loyalties!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 PM

GM won't take you to court. If it gets to that point they'll most likely just fix it for you to avoid the legal process. It isn't worth their time and money to fight you over a relatively simple repair. When you speak to the people at the dealership just be sure to be polite and professional. They will be much for frightened of "Alright sir well if you can't help me I'm going to have my lawyer give you a call, his name is..." rather than "Listen up motherf---er I'm going to sue your ass muahahahahah"
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 AM

I was very polite when I was over there, I gave them my lawyers name, and his exact words were " we dont need that from you, she can call us ", that blew my mind, I said in return " ok, thanks for your help, and I handed him the keys.

I was kind of thinking about what you just said, they will avoid court to save themselves the money and time, now im my case, he quoted me over 5 grand (can), thats a good solid chunk of money, would they save them selves from that ? I dont know, such a massive corperation you would think not, I dont know, hard to say....
I wish they would just stop playing around, face they facts and honor my warrenty.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 AM

You need to call them out. There's a time to be calm and a time to not be calm. Sometimes their worst nightmare isn't gaining/losing the money of one person.

Think about it, you go into a service department in the middle of the day and they say "I'm sorry sir/ma'am but we're denying your warranty claim." The last thing they want, especially in a service department full of other customers, particularly within earshot of the showroom is someone calling attention to the fact that this dealer is denying a warranty claim.

I'm not saying to go in there screaming and yelling like a maniac, but be loud and assertive. They want the image of "We bend over backwards to make our customers happy" not "Buy from us and we'll bend you over without the luxury of Vaseline."

To equate it to a criminal case, the dealership, NOT YOU, has the burden of proof. You are the one that's innocent until proven guilty. Tell them to show you exactly how it happened and exactly how your actions caused the malfunction. Get loud if you have to, but demand that they provide proof of abuse that relates DIRECTLY to the failure of the part.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 AM

I smell a class action lawsuit here. With so many people having issues, has anyone thought about speaking to a lawyer about it? Christ almighty, I can't even get our dealer to install the rings on the door cups for the pulling fabric. And now our CD player is beginning to skip on store bought cd's occasionally.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 AM

I took my car to the dealer for a check engine light. They come back and are like "well it looks like you got some bad gas somewhere so we are going to have to replace the injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter and the sending unit...oh and btw you might want to talk to your insurance company casue thats not covered under warranty so you have to make an insurance claim or pay cash". Mind you I drove the car in there and if that stuff was bad, it wouldnt run. Needless to say I took the car back, and I now have no light. I just put sea foam in the car and ran it and it took care of the problem. $12 of seafoam < $956 at dealer.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
damn man.. number 1 delete your sig.... number 2... just hand em the keys... take your plates off in front of them... and make sure you let the other customers in the dealership know whats going on..... anybody interested in buying a cobalt... I just tell em not too... mind you I was prepared to be tearing my car apart and replacing most of the drivetrain anyway. but I didn't expect it to go so easily and quickly.... they def put in bottom shelf parts to make a cheap ass wannabe sports car... they are def low quality parts and everyone I"ve showed em to were like WTF kinda garbage is that... soo I'm sending my stuff out to a few race shops I"ve dealt with in the past and having everything beefed up... axles are being made now and should be ready early next week... and I"ll be sending either mikes or the spare out to a friends tranny shop to find the weak parts and make em stronger.... but yeah... gm is definatly screwing people on warrantees I saw at least one cobalt at everydealership I passed with either a blown axle, clutch, tranny or a combination of all three... so there is def a prob and they are def aware of it... I guess they are just trying to avoid it... but I tell you one thing.... people are not going down with out a fight
Old 09-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Let me be the voice of reality here. Your car was modded right? You were going to the track with it right? Your warranty is worthless and there is nothing you can do about it. If you don't think for one second that the mods you did to your car and racing your car aren't reason enough you are lying to yourself and so isn't almost everyone on this site.

I'm sorry fellas, but if you add 1 horsepower to this car they can tell you that the warranty is no good because the car from the factory is designed for 205hp not 206. I'm not trying to be a dick here I 'm just telling you the truth.

Also going around flaunting your mods and your track times aren't going to help you at all. Did it ever occur to you that GM may have people trolling these boards or the tracks out there looking for this stuff. Mitsubishi does, why not GM? I think GM is desparate enough right now to do anything to save money so I don't think it's out of their rhelm to do that.

I'm sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news and I wish you and everyone here with problems the best of luck getting them fixed but I think your all screwed when it comes to the warranty.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
there actually was a gm tech at the track and a few other guys from gm there... I'm betting they took our plate numbers and sent them in.... I'm personally not worrying about it I knew my warranty was voided from day one.... just didn't realize how weak the car really was... unfortunately a lot of locals guys have seen/heard our problems and are now trading their cars in.... looks like I'm gonna be one of the last still holding on to the cobalt.. I personally like the car, researched its shortcomings before buying it so I was kinda prepared for what I was gonna have to do to make it fast and reliable... I just feel bad for for the rest... and for those that actually take care of the car and still have problems
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
there actually was a gm tech at the track and a few other guys from gm there... I'm betting they took our plate numbers and sent them in.... I'm personally not worrying about it I knew my warranty was voided from day one.... just didn't realize how weak the car really was... unfortunately a lot of locals guys have seen/heard our problems and are now trading their cars in.... looks like I'm gonna be one of the last still holding on to the cobalt.. I personally like the car, researched its shortcomings before buying it so I was kinda prepared for what I was gonna have to do to make it fast and reliable... I just feel bad for for the rest... and for those that actually take care of the car and still have problems

I do feel bad for those having problems. Especially the ones who are taking care of their car. The half assed modders I don't feel for them so much. You have to mod your car right if you are going to mod and with a car like this we all know the clutch and axels suck, so that is something everyone should look at right off.

The thing that really bugs me is that all these people who abuse, miss mod, or just tear up their car go around bad mouthing it and GM like it's the cars fault they drive like fools.

Maybe I have the one gem out of the bunch but my car is running perfectly. I don't abuse it but I do have fun with it. I just pick my spots and am extra careful. There aren't too many performance cars out there that you don't have to baby. This is especially true on the lower end of the price scale because the companies make the cars just stout enough to take the stock abuse and power. However the same is also true on the high end with Ferraris. You have to baby them or they will break. It all comes down to the owner really.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 AM

threaten with court and they will budge. trust me. i did it and got a completely new engine out of it.

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied...all read