General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

What motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What motor

Would be a good swap that would be comparable to an ss to swap into my ls. I was hoping there would be some ss motors but unfortunately it's just too new of a car to have a lot of salvage titles or junkyard motors. So what would another good motor be.

And secondly, what is the type of transmission that is a 5speed, I want a manual to get better mileage. Or if anyone knows of an engine/manual combo that would be cool too.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 AM

a chevy small block...haha
Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 AM

Yeah but would it fit. Because I could try and throw a 350 in there, but well I know that wouldn't fit.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:10 AM

305 fits.

or so im told.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 AM

Whats wromg with your motor now?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
Whats wromg with your motor now?
MORE POWER VROOM VROOM!!! Cause the power of the 4 angry squirrels is amazing
Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 AM

Why didn't you just get the SS?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:26 AM

It was sort of bought under protest.

See I had my jeep but the title was in my parents name, and I was making payments to them every month.

But I had to move to Sacramento to go to school and we all agreed that I needed a car that's easier on the gas.

My cousin just happened to be selling her ls so my parents bought it and then told me that they bought it.

So unfortunately because neither title is/was in my name till I pay off the cobalt, I didn't have much choice.

You see, I wouldn't really mind it much but my cousin cant drive a stick to save her soul. So it's also an automatic, if it was a manual it would have been easier.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:25 AM

I helped with a manual-automatic trans swap in a 1 ton, but I've heard horror stories about going the other way, costs a fortune apparently. If it's the same A/T as in the SS/NA(2.4L) you might be able to swap that out, but I'm not sure what kind of work that entails, I've only done small block swaps, none of this ECU crap Good luck to you whichever route you take, but for the money a swap would cost you you'd probably be able to turbo the 2.2.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by tyrant1014
Would be a good swap that would be comparable to an ss to swap into my ls. I was hoping there would be some ss motors but unfortunately it's just too new of a car to have a lot of salvage titles or junkyard motors. So what would another good motor be.

And secondly, what is the type of transmission that is a 5speed, I want a manual to get better mileage. Or if anyone knows of an engine/manual combo that would be cool too.
Doing both an engine swap and a trans swap would waste a lot of money and a lot of time.

You'd be better off trading your car in for a ss/tc or another car with a stick and work from there. The autos take more work the make faster due to their transmissions gearing.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 AM

lol... wow... this would be alot of work but so would putting a 350 in a ranger.. so i guess i cant complain lol...

why not go all out...? RB26!!!!!

Last edited by sick06cobalt; 08-03-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM

get the v6 3800serie motor from a gtp or impala or even the 5.3 liter from an impala ss
Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Motor swaps on newer cars isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. Especially if you're going with an engine that wasn't designed for the car. The electrical would be a friggin nightmare.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

For the time being, anyone got some tuning tips. Low funds, moved to sac to go to school and still no job, i fixed tires at my last job and I can't even get a job at lesSchwab
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM

It was sort of bought under protest.

See I had my jeep but the title was in my parents name, and I was making payments to them every month.

But I had to move to Sacramento to go to school and we all agreed that I needed a car that's easier on the gas.

My cousin just happened to be selling her ls so my parents bought it and then told me that they bought it.

So unfortunately because neither title is/was in my name till I pay off the cobalt, I didn't have much choice.

You see, I wouldn't really mind it much but my cousin cant drive a stick to save her soul. So it's also an automatic, if it was a manual it would have been easier.
so grow some ***** and go get ur own car loan....

Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
lol... wow... this would be alot of work but so would putting a 350 in a ranger.. so i guess i cant complain lol...

why not go all out...? RB26!!!!!
302 in a ranger can be done in 24 hours.

Last edited by kingg5; 08-03-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by maverick0716
Motor swaps on newer cars isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. Especially if you're going with an engine that wasn't designed for the car. The electrical would be a friggin nightmare.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Clearance issues don't help either.

Tranny swap? Um...just forget about that.

For the time being, anyone got some tuning tips. Low funds, moved to sac to go to school and still no job, i fixed tires at my last job and I can't even get a job at lesSchwab
Do well in school and get a better job.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-03-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by kingg5
so grow some ***** and go get ur own car loan....

302 in a ranger can be done in 24 hours.
Kind of hard to get a loan when you don't have a credit rating.

Originally Posted by theneelster
Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Clearance issues don't help either.

Tranny swap? Um...just forget about that.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass though... trying to find a job to pay for food while I'm in school for 8 hours a day is hell. I put in an app at pep boys and am going to go talk to the hiring manager on monday.

Last edited by tyrant1014; 08-03-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM

good luck.

i have 1 full time, 1 part time, and 14+ credits\semester. sleep is something that quickly becomes a memory rather than a habit.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Your not too smart. Les Schwab is a amazing job. My entire family is there or in the police. My dad and grandfather are both managers who make 119+k a year. They start you out at 10 anywhere, so no fuss with minimum wage. I worked there for a year, made great money. Plus you get retirement, 401k, profit sharing, contract pay outs per month as assistant or higher, private meetings all over the world, great benefits(one of the best healthcare companys to date), and my personal favorite, discounts on tires, rims, brakes, lift kits, alignments, shocks, etc. Its alot better then Discount Tire, and other places.

Now why don't you get hired? What store are you applying at in Oregon? Not Bend, or Prinville I hope. You have no chance of starting there, those are the top stores in Les Schwab basically.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM

Kind of hard to get a loan when you don't have a credit rating.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass though... trying to find a job to pay for food while I'm in school for 8 hours a day is hell. I put in an app at pep boys and am going to go talk to the hiring manager on monday.
Yeah...you have to start building one.

We've all been there...you just need to find something in the meantime to get things rolling like starting your own business. I remember when I was in school that's what I did and did alright, but it was really time consuming. Trying to find a decent job is a pain in the ass to begin with

Originally Posted by Fire_Starter
Your not too smart. Les Schwab is a amazing job. My entire family is there or in the police. My dad and grandfather are both managers who make 119+k a year. They start you out at 10 anywhere, so no fuss with minimum wage. I worked there for a year, made great money. Plus you get retirement, 401k, profit sharing, contract pay outs per month as assistant or higher, private meetings all over the world, great benefits(one of the best healthcare companys to date), and my personal favorite, discounts on tires, rims, brakes, lift kits, alignments, shocks, etc. Its alot better then Discount Tire, and other places.

Now why don't you get hired? What store are you applying at in Oregon? Not Bend, or Prinville I hope. You have no chance of starting there, those are the top stores in Les Schwab basically.
Hehehe...yeah...right. If you like cars and want to work on them in the future be a mechanical engineer not a retail manager. Any retail job is a pita regardless of where you work or the package you get because the customers all treat you like ****; if you want to go through life regretting waking up every morning then by all means help yourself. Sometimes I regret not sticking with engineering but not often; it was biomedical engineering and a top 5 program...yep I'm a complete idiot

Last edited by theneelster; 08-03-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 PM

TURBO, might be more $ than a swap (I cant confirm that), but you keep drivability, increase hp, keep gas milage with sensible driving, and IMO, has been a proven mod. Stay in school, get good grades, get good job= contribute to society in a + way.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Hehehe...yeah...right. If you like cars and want to work on them in the future be a mechanical engineer not a retail manager. Any retail job is a pita regardless of where you work or the package you get because the customers all treat you like ****; if you want to go through life regretting waking up every morning then by all means help yourself. Sometimes I regret not sticking with engineering but not often; it was biomedical engineering and a top 5 program...yep I'm a complete idiot
First off, if you cry about customers, obvisouly you have terrible people skills. Sucks for you really. No one I know wakes up "regretting" their job at Les Schwab. I have had nothing but retail, sales, and resturant jobs. I can handle people who bitch. Maybe thats why I get promoted where ever I go? No one cares about your degree, or top 5 people job either, my dad never attended college nor did my grandfather, and they both have big houses, nice things, and great paying jobs. For no college waste making as much as many doctors, I think they have more smarts then most. So not a yeah right. If you are going to try a pissing match with me, you will lose. So end the argueing you little forum troll and let it be.

Now back on topic, as for a engine swap, and a transmission, I would say better to buy a new car eintirely, the amount you will shell out will not be worth it at all.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fire_Starter
First off, if you cry about customers, obvisouly you have terrible people skills. Sucks for you really. No one I know wakes up "regretting" their job at Les Schwab. I have had nothing but retail, sales, and resturant jobs. I can handle people who bitch. Maybe thats why I get promoted where ever I go? No one cares about your degree, or top 5 people job either, my dad never attended college nor did my grandfather, and they both have big houses, nice things, and great paying jobs. For no college waste making as much as many doctors, I think they have more smarts then most. So not a yeah right. If you are going to try a pissing match with me, you will lose. So end the argueing you little forum troll and let it be.

Now back on topic, as for a engine swap, and a transmission, I would say better to buy a new car eintirely, the amount you will shell out will not be worth it at all.
My plan was/is to turn the cobalt into a show car small steps at a time Like my first plan is to get some blue/ black faux leather and sit down at my sewing machine and go to town. But that is a bit of a problem with no money to spend on said leather.

However, on the job thing, it's all about what you put into it, if you work hard then you can be very good at what you do without a high-school diploma. Allbiet a bit harder, but it could still be done. Both have valid points but in the end getting a degree or diploma is only half the battle.

Right now I'm in tech school, and some kids are in here thinking they are the best and then they are going to get a huge reality check when they realize that even with tech school graduation they still have to start out sweeping floors.

I have about six more weeks before I will have my associates in specialized technology, the ultimate goal is to have my own high performance/off road shop. Already have a name picked out "Die Trying Motorsports" It's all about goals. This shop probably won't even be a feasible possibility for 10 or even 15 years. Mostly because I want to know the in's and out's of the field. Not just book training but practical knowledge... Crap, now I forgot where I was going with this.

But to me it will never be about chasing the dollar, it will be about doing what I love for the rest of my life. I am a gear head that needs a little more direction and guidance.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM

You will make money with a drive like that.