General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

When?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When?!

I had a BAD night with my Cavi last night, and ended up going car shopping today. Drove 4 cars, heres the list.

1. Ion Redline (loved it)

2. Evolution MR Edition (ass woulsn't even let me start it...and he wanted 40k)

3. RX-8 (loved it)

4. 05 Tiburon GT (meh.)

OKAY, so the problem is.... I WANT A COBALT!!!!!!!!! But, since I need a car, I can't have one right now.

And I keep hearing different times when the SS will be here. I've heard everythign from February to June!

Anyone can hook the Mekanic up with some facts, I would be very happy.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:08 PM

It looks like Feb or end of Feb.

They are starting to be seen around in Michigan.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/2-black-cobalt-sss-ann-arbor-mi-part-2-a-883/
Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 PM

I might be able to hold off if it comes in Feb. But after driving that Redline, I'm having some doubts on what the Cobalt SS will be.

And from that pics in that thread, it looks mean from the back, but it also looks like a chunk, like they did the sheet metal tall, but not wide enough. Oh well, if we hear something from Chevy I will know then, weather it will be Redline, SS, or RX-8
Old 01-08-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mekanic
2. Evolution MR Edition (ass woulsn't even let me start it...and he wanted 40k)

That reminds me of one time back in 2000 when I went to a car dealership with a friend and he spotted a mid-'90s turbocharged Eagle Talon. The salesman wouldn't let him drive it. That's somewhat understandable considering my friend does drive cars rather hard :P, but I don't see why some car salesmen can expect to sell cars without allowing test drives.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:38 AM

Gofor the RX-8 or just get a cheep ass car and drive it for a month or two till the SS comes out.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:32 PM

Of course i see couple Cobalt SS already 2 black SS and 1 blue SS and ton of Cobalt 4 door but no coupe yet and im sure it gonna be out here for sale around january. i live michigan and i saw couple so i dunno how i get that SS. i think they might have order it but im not too sure. i talk to the dealership about cobalt SS and they say it should be here anytime soon so he gonna give me a call. But for those of who live south and west US it won't be there around late feb or later. sorry bout that guys. good thing i live michigan so that i can get it SOON!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 07:36 PM

ugh, I dunno! Every time I think I have it figured out something else happens! "I'm gonna get the redline" 5 minutes later "But the Cobalt is hawt" 5 minutes later "the RX8 is the secks, but the price..." 5 minutes later "i'm gonna get the redline" THATS BEEN GOING ON FOR 2 DAYS NOW!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I feel a little better now. Please excuse my, as my eyes have exploded on the monitor from all this confusion, and I need to clean it up
Old 01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are so indecisive Just wait for the SS, its new and you can be among the first to pimp one out. Besides look at all the attention the SS is getting.
It’s going to be a hot car this summer. Just picture yourself at the cruise-in, chilling next to your SS which is surrounded by a crowd of people wondering what kind of car that is.

I remember the first time kids showed up at the cruise-in’s with Evo’s. Thaye were the center of attention. Time for us to take that place
Old 01-09-2005, 09:28 PM

Get the redline!! It is god!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:48 PM

you should get a truck to beat on ...or an old k5 blazer...you can pickt up an old chevy truck pretty cheap...and just keep it around for winter and buy a cobalt when it comes out and save the truck if you ever run into the same situation or have it for winters...i dont know where you live, but thats what id do in my part of the country...plus you can build up old chevy thrucks pretty sick and cheap if you want something else to mess with on the side
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

I'm a big fan of the Cobalt SS, and I would encourage you that way but I also love the RX-8. Rotary engines are just sooo awesome. I want to rev to 9500 RPM!!! No torque, but it would still be awesome.

However I live in an igloo (well maybe not but it would be warmer than my house right now) so RWD is kinda outta the question unless I can afford two cars.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Are those two cars so similar in price in the states that you can actually choose one or the other? Because in here , the RX-8 is MUCH more expensive

And yes id go with the Rx-8 route, it is an outstanding car with a lot of personality
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 AM

i dont know about in the states but $ wise the rx-8 is in 350Z territory. Get a 350z. Can $$ for a used on is the same as a Cobalt $$ more or less.

unless you really want to wait for the cobalt.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:33 PM

go for Acura RSX Type-S. 6 speed, 200hp non-F/I, Honda Reliability, 8k redline, Nice Interior, nice body styling. Stock 1/4 miles times 14.8@95Mph 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. I was thinkin bout getting a Cobalt SS, but i think i'll have to stick with the Honda REliability of a non F/I car.

Devin72985
Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JonelZ
You are so indecisive Just wait for the SS, its new and you can be among the first to pimp one out. Besides look at all the attention the SS is getting.
It’s going to be a hot car this summer. Just picture yourself at the cruise-in, chilling next to your SS which is surrounded by a crowd of people wondering what kind of car that is.

I remember the first time kids showed up at the cruise-in’s with Evo’s. Thaye were the center of attention. Time for us to take that place
truer wirds have not been spoken.

I'm getting the SS, went to get financed for the RL today, and the assbucket only wanted to give me $500 for my Cavi.

I talked to a guy at the CHevy dealer that my boss buys all our company trucks from (22 a year) and he is putting me on top of the list for the SS, and hes gonna give it to me for invoice + rebates
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Devin72985
go for Acura RSX Type-S. 6 speed, 200hp non-F/I, Honda Reliability, 8k redline, Nice Interior, nice body styling. Stock 1/4 miles times 14.8@95Mph 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. I was thinkin bout getting a Cobalt SS, but i think i'll have to stick with the Honda REliability of a non F/I car.

Devin72985

isnt honda having some reliablility problems with its newest cars? 1.7L engine and the crv mostly?

maybe honda reliablility is an urban legend.

sorry to sound like an ass but how many times did you say honda reliablility? None of todays cars are truly more reliable than any others in the same class. Its all perception and preference.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by s113
That reminds me of one time back in 2000 when I went to a car dealership with a friend and he spotted a mid-'90s turbocharged Eagle Talon. The salesman wouldn't let him drive it. That's somewhat understandable considering my friend does drive cars rather hard :P, but I don't see why some car salesmen can expect to sell cars without allowing test drives.
I think it depends how serious a buyer you present yourself as and how the salesman views you. If he thinks you have no interesting in buying the car and just want a free test drive probably aren't going to get that on a high end car like the Evo MR. If you ask on a regular lancer I bet you could get a test drive. If you go in there talk numbers and make the salesman feel confortable that you indeed are going to buy it after a test drive you probably will get one. I know for many motorcycles you can't test ride them at ALL. Sometimes the dealer will have a test model but more often than not the manufacture will come to the area once in a while with some test models that you can ride.

Oh that and the Evo MR is going to sell itself fine without having to be test drove
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 PM

I test drove an MR, nice we tested MR and reg evo 8 back to back, if the fugetards gave me book for my trade I would have bought the MR
Old 01-12-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
I think it depends how serious a buyer you present yourself as and how the salesman views you. If he thinks you have no interesting in buying the car and just want a free test drive probably aren't going to get that on a high end car like the Evo MR. If you ask on a regular lancer I bet you could get a test drive. If you go in there talk numbers and make the salesman feel confortable that you indeed are going to buy it after a test drive you probably will get one. I know for many motorcycles you can't test ride them at ALL. Sometimes the dealer will have a test model but more often than not the manufacture will come to the area once in a while with some test models that you can ride.

Oh that and the Evo MR is going to sell itself fine without having to be test drove
I'm very professional, and I had more cash on me than he would ever know. He was just an ass. A very typical car salesman, you know...the kind stereotypes are made of.

He wouldn't even let me start it. I asked him 3 times and he finally said "fine, MOVE, and I'll do it. "
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 AM

I'm very professional, and I had more cash on me than he would ever know. He was just an ass. A very typical car salesman, you know...the kind stereotypes are made of.

He wouldn't even let me start it. I asked him 3 times and he finally said "fine, MOVE, and I'll do it. "
that's when you turn and run for your freaking life from that lowlife scum dealer, lol

he's not worth your time, remind him its a CAR not the crown jewels
Old 01-12-2005, 10:58 AM

That's when you ask to speak to his boss, go above him, call the owner, or person running the dealership and complain about how you were treated. You will get a test drive then.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

LOL, I know that in the bigger centers salesmen may get irritated by giving out testdrives, but I don't see how they expect to sell cars without a test drive. I may allow test drives to people who are just there for a joy ride when I'm selling cars, but at least I give them the benefit of the doubt and it's panned out for me a lot more then it's burned me.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by osmose
That's when you ask to speak to his boss, go above him, call the owner, or person running the dealership and complain about how you were treated. You will get a test drive then.
I would have, but this Mitsu dealership looked like it was about to go out of buisness anyway.

This dealer is giving out a 10 year 300,000 mile warranty, free tires, and free maintnance for life. Sounds like the kind of theing a place would do to get rid of the cars they have, before they pack up and haul ass.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM

I would have, but this Mitsu dealership looked like it was about to go out of buisness anyway.

This dealer is giving out a 10 year 300,000 mile warranty, free tires, and free maintnance for life. Sounds like the kind of theing a place would do to get rid of the cars they have, before they pack up and haul ass.
yeah ... that's sketchy.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by poolboyz02
Gofor the RX-8 or just get a cheep ass car and drive it for a month or two till the SS comes out.

What he said find yourself a $100 or $500 car drive it untill the SS comes out. Be sure you preorder the SS. Of course if you REALLY want the car of course.