General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Z28 driver's prospective of the SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z28 driver's prospective of the SS

I finally got the chance to test drive a cobalt ss today. Now this is coming from a Z28 driver's prospective, which may not matter to many of the current owners but I know plenty of people scan this site considering purchasing a SS.

Exterior: For whatever reason, it just doesn't scream mean to me. I know I'm biased, and no means is the car ugly, I think it's a great looking car... but mean looking aggressive is totally different. Something about the RSX-S headlights and the SRT-4 front end that just seems... well whatever. Thats just my opinion. Nothing some aftermarket help won't fix.

Performance: I have never driven a car with a 2.0L S/C, and to be quite honest I wasn't expecting that much going for 400+HP to 205. However, I was definately impressed. The power throughout the powerband was a pleasant surprise. The ease the motor revs and the power it makes definately sold me on the car right there. Get some quality drivers behind the wheel, and I'm positive we'll see some amazing times out of this.

Handling: Now I didn't exactly get to take it to the autocross with the salesguy next to me, but it handled quite well from what I could tell on the road.

Interior: Simply awesome. It's just nice, especially going from a rattling t-top leaking f-body. The sound system is more than enough for me, granted I've never stressed too much importance on shaking windows with my music, but i was still impressed.

Overall: Yeah it's not a Camaro, nor was it ever designed to be. However, it is effectively the Camaro's replacement, being in the same price range, and Chevy's entry performance car. It has the power, the handling, and the styling to sell me. As soon as I can work the numbers, I plan on getting a blue SS coming in this week. This car, despite what many angry disgruntled hardcore chevy fans say, deserves the SS badges. Many praises for the Cobalt SS S/C!!!

Take it for what it's worth, just my opinions, maybe it'll help someone out.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 AM

Nice. Thanks for the insight. I totally agree on the headlights as well. I like more agressive headlights, and I think the SS lights are a little 'buggy.' Take the 2006 RSX for example...very nice sleek thin agressive headlights. It would have been nice to see them on the SS. I really like the headlights on this car better than the Cobalt (Cobalts UK cousin):

Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 AM

I agree, Ihave a Yellow SS on order. My fair weather toy is a 95 Z28 that is Big-time modified. (372 rwhp) For a daily driver though the Cobalt SS has great performance and handling. The best part is you can drive one in the rain and it gets more than 14 miles to the gallon. (It probably wont go 12.50"s though)
Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Awesome write up :yesway:

You know its a good thing when someone goes from 400hp to 205hp and is still happy :yesway:
Old 04-28-2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by YellowSS
The best part is you can drive one in the rain and it gets more than 14 miles to the gallon. (It probably wont go 12.50"s though)
Ouch! Only 14 miles to the gallon on your current car. I think gas is like $2.35+ here in AZ for 87 and at least $2.55 for 91 octane. That must burn a hole in your pocket real fast.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 AM

has anyone checked into the headlights being replaced with the UK cousin's head lights? are the direct replacements, and can you get them in the US? I really think the SS/sc would look great if they had them.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CamaroMuscleZ28
I finally got the chance to test drive a cobalt ss today. Now this is coming from a Z28 driver's prospective, which may not matter to many of the current owners but I know plenty of people scan this site considering purchasing a SS.

Exterior: For whatever reason, it just doesn't scream mean to me. I know I'm biased, and no means is the car ugly, I think it's a great looking car... but mean looking aggressive is totally different. Something about the RSX-S headlights and the SRT-4 front end that just seems... well whatever. Thats just my opinion. Nothing some aftermarket help won't fix.

Performance: I have never driven a car with a 2.0L S/C, and to be quite honest I wasn't expecting that much going for 400+HP to 205. However, I was definately impressed. The power throughout the powerband was a pleasant surprise. The ease the motor revs and the power it makes definately sold me on the car right there. Get some quality drivers behind the wheel, and I'm positive we'll see some amazing times out of this.

Handling: Now I didn't exactly get to take it to the autocross with the salesguy next to me, but it handled quite well from what I could tell on the road.

Interior: Simply awesome. It's just nice, especially going from a rattling t-top leaking f-body. The sound system is more than enough for me, granted I've never stressed too much importance on shaking windows with my music, but i was still impressed.

Overall: Yeah it's not a Camaro, nor was it ever designed to be. However, it is effectively the Camaro's replacement, being in the same price range, and Chevy's entry performance car. It has the power, the handling, and the styling to sell me. As soon as I can work the numbers, I plan on getting a blue SS coming in this week. This car, despite what many angry disgruntled hardcore chevy fans say, deserves the SS badges. Many praises for the Cobalt SS S/C!!!

Take it for what it's worth, just my opinions, maybe it'll help someone out.
Don't downgrade, get an 03/04 Cobra
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted
Don't downgrade, get an 03/04 Cobra
You, my friend, never have anything constructive to add to any post.

I hate trolls.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ToxicPoison

I hate trolls.
In terms of performance, the Cobalt SS is a downgrade from his current vehicle. That is a fact so just accept it.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:50 PM

In terms of performance, the Cobalt SS is a downgrade from his current vehicle. That is a fact so just accept it.
They cant be compared actually they are two different beasts... but like someone said ^^^ up there your worthless to this site
Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ToxicPoison

I hate trolls.
Thats what I was thinking.....Why is he even posting here?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys please don't encourage this type of dialog. I think you know by now that we have a good group of moderators who can take care of this issue.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Archplsm
has anyone checked into the headlights being replaced with the UK cousin's head lights? are the direct replacements, and can you get them in the US? I really think the SS/sc would look great if they had them.

no, but i think they would look badass on my black LS sport coupe
what is that car called?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
They cant be compared actually they are two different beasts... but like someone said ^^^ up there your worthless to this site
Yes, they are different cars, but Z28 performance > Cobalt performance. No way around that.

You're worthless to society.

So if you don't praise the Cobalt you are worthless? How's fantasy land working out for ya?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vendian
Nice. Thanks for the insight. I totally agree on the headlights as well. I like more agressive headlights, and I think the SS lights are a little 'buggy.' Take the 2006 RSX for example...very nice sleek thin agressive headlights. It would have been nice to see them on the SS. I really like the headlights on this car better than the Cobalt (Cobalts UK cousin):

Need to figure out what shape to make but adding eyelids may be an option. Aftermarket companies stepped up w/ carbon fiber & fiberglass overlays for the SRT-4 when people started making their own from vinyl. Something like these by Carbon By Design. I'm sure Carbon By Design will start making parts for the Cobalt; they probably just need somene close by for a test mule.

Someone just needs to get some vinyl sheets, add a little creativity and see what you can come up with.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Yes, they are different cars, but Z28 performance > Cobalt performance. No way around that.

You're worthless to society.

So if you don't praise the Cobalt you are worthless? How's fantasy land working out for ya?
Zinner are you going to take care of this issue?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 PM

If you read up there he wants something with some performance but good gas millage. And he is keeping his Camaro if you could read up above.