How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

All Engines: Chaos Six Dual Pass

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaos Six Dual Pass

I've seen these around but they don't go in depth as to what fittings are used, what drills, or what size taps. Nor does anyone give the torque rating of the bolts for the endplate. (from what I can find.) Hope someone finds this useful...here it is!

DISCLAIMER: I am not liable for what YOU do to YOUR car! This walkthrough is for, and only for, the fitting shown below.
The fitting! From frozenboost.com

Liquid to air fittings

Okay so first step is remove blower.
Second, take off the intake manifold.
(there are how-to's for these)
Remove your endplate from the side of the intake manifold (Seven 10mm bolts)

If you've never had it off before it will take a little force but it will come off. Be prepared to pull the funny looking O-ring out with it.

PLEASE: Do NOT do what I did! O-ring fell out and I was like "ooh, STRETCH!" Don't do that. Leave it how it is unless you plan on paying 60 bucks for a piece of rubber.

So once you pull the endplate off you'll have the 4 laminova cores exposed. It should look like this:
Name:  r8A2SzG.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  67.0 KB

To pull these laminova cores out, do not use anything hard against the core itself. You'll damage it for sure. My cores pulled out with my fingernails. For those who can't get them out this way. Use a rag or towel, grab the core and pull and twist at the same time. I've also done it this way and it works. Go from the previous picture to this:

Name:  8R25Kn6.jpg
Size:  44.2 KB

Once you've got the cores arranged as shown, you're ready to move on to your endplate. You're going to want to drill as far forward on the top bump as you can. Not doing this will more than likely result in clearance issues with the oil filter canister. For this step I used a hammer and center punch to mark where I want to start drilling. Here's a pic: (ms paint lol) Just don't hit the punch too hard. Remember this is cast aluminum!

Name:  uPM6Zhv.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  104.0 KB

This process takes THREE DRILL BITS! The first two doesn't matter what size as long as you're stepping up the sizes each time you drill. For the first time use a smaller sized bit. Drill the hole right where you made your punch mark. Step up a few sizes to a larger drill bit. These two bits obviously must be smaller than 1/2" Once you get the second hole drilled, it's time for the final drill. This drill size is the one that matters. Find a 45/64" drill bit and drill the hole out. There! Now we've ruined a perfectly good endplate. but have no fear, the thread tap is here! Using a 1/2" 14 NPT (Natural Pipe Thread) tap, tap the hole you've just drilled until you're 3/4's up the tap. DO NOT go further. Remember we want a snug fitting, not a loose one that will roll around inside the threads. Some lubricant here helps. I just used 3 in 1 oil. I'm sorry I don't have pics of this process. Before you tap the fitting in, use some thread sealer or at the very least some teflon tape. If you tapped it correctly there should still be 2-3 threads of the fitting sticking out until you can't tighten the fitting down any more. You don't want the fitting flush to the surface of the endplate. Why? It will leak. Maybe not right off the bat, but it will. It's common practice to leave a few threads out.

Name:  BNRClz5.jpg
Size:  29.7 KB

And you're done! If you really want, use some quiksteel around the base of the fitting for some extra leak prevention. Put your endplate back on and tighten down your bolts to 89 inch pounds. Throw your intake manifold back on, plumb the dual pass and BAM! Dual pass complete!