How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How-To: Custom LED Tail Light Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-To: Custom LED Tail Light Retrofit

Next LED Project: Tail Light Retrofit

Step 1 - Opening the Lights
Once you have the lights off the car, bake them in the oven at 200 degrees F for about 20-30 mins just like you'd do with the head lights.

Now my sealant was really dried out and flaky, I had to use a flat head screwdriver to essentially chisel it out.
Messed up the sides a little bit but it sealed back up afterwards perfectly fine.
WATCH THE BLACK STICKY CRAP UNDER THE FOAM!!! ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS AND GETS EVERYWHERE!

Step 2 - LED Placement
Space out where you want to mount your LED's. Use a pencil to make a mark around the ring for each one. Drill your holes and pop in the LEDs. For the reverse lights, I decided to glue them in place at the outer lens to throw more light out the back. You can do this with the red ones if you want as well, but the red plastic gives a nice looking glowing ring look...you'll see

Some hints:
- Watch that you dont drill into one of the clips or plastic screws. Space them so they miss
- Calculate home many LEDs to use based on the resistors needed. For example, I use 220ohm resistors. This works perfectly to equal 3 LEDs per resistor for reds and 2 LEDs per resistor for white. So groups of 3 for red and 2 for white
- Mount the LEDs with the leads ALL in the same positions. All - on one side, all + on one side. Doesnt matter which sides which, but the all need to be on the same side all the way around.
- I used 3mm LEDs. Drill the holes with a smaller bit so they stay in place. a 7/64 bit worked perfect. Takes a bit of a push but they stay snug. I suggest using 5mm or 10mm for better light output during the daytime.
- Double check your spacing! As you can see, I screwed up 2 holes on the one ring and 1 hole on the other. You can't tell once its sealed up again, but you'll always know its there :blink1:
- Add 1 drop of super glue to the edge of every LED. Let it set, then continue.

Step 3 - Resistors
Time to solder!
Choose the right resistors. Solder them in place. Keep a (-) and (+) lead sticking up on each set.

(-)__LED__LED__Resistor__LED__(+) << Just an example

Once theyre all grouped, test each group one by one.
Do the same for the groups glued to the outer lens if youre doing those ones as well.

Step 4 - Wire Them Together
Now that you know theyre all working, solder all the (-) together and all the (+) together.
Add a strip about 8 inches long to one of the (+) and one of the (-) leads Test them again. Now they will all turn on together.

You can tape all the exposed wire with electrical tape if you want. This is isn't needed for the LEDs inside the lens.

Double check theyre all working properly

Step 5 - Seal them back up
Double check them again!
Close the 2 pieces back together and seal them. I use non-shrinking black silicone, the same stuff on my head lights....1 year later and no fogging so it works well.

Step 6 - Tap into you wires
Reverse wires on my car (05 LS coupe) were green and black. Green is your (+), black is (-). Same wires on both left and right lights.

Brake wires on mine were light blue and black. Light blue is (+), black again is (-). I tapped these from the 3rd brake light.

I will get turn signal wires when I do the outer lights and post up pictures here.

Good luck on your build!
:laugh:

Last edited by acoutu; 06-09-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Updated with pics of wires to tap into.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
damn i need to get er done on my car like asap. did u leave the stock reverse bulb as well? i like that led + incandescent
Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
damn i need to get er done on my car like asap. did u leave the stock reverse bulb as well? i like that led + incandescent
Yeah...but only for now. It does look kind of cool with the two tone but you can't tell at night as it goes about 6000k white. I'm going to get projector LED bulbs for the reverse lights to get more light output threw the nightshade

Daylight

Night

Brakes Off

Brakes On

I'm still undecided about hooking the new red LEDs to the turn signal wires rather than the brake wires. Might give it a try and see which I prefer.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i just need more reverse light output period my rear tint is too dark i cant see ****
Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM

can you take a pic of the brake lights on with the trunk down?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dear LORD. So much soldering. I'll pass, but props to those who take the time to do this. DAMN
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bratboy90
Dear LORD. So much soldering. I'll pass, but props to those who take the time to do this. DAMN
Haha, nah its not that much. You should see one of my pcb builds, Now thats a lot of soldering!
This only took about two hours once i got them open and the LEDs glued in place.

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
can you take a pic of the brake lights on with the trunk down?
Ill see what i can do...even i havent seen that yet lol. Ill try to get the misses to come outside and tap the brakes for me. Ill make a video too...if shes not naked in bed when i get home from work... Priorities

Last edited by acoutu; 06-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Night time running lights

Brakes applied

No video, sorry. I had to use a big rock just to get the pics as it is lol
I'm excited to do the outer lights too now! It'll look really good with dual LED rings I'm thinking.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 AM

bump for updated pics!