How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Electrical: How to install Activation LED on a Meth Injection System

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install Activation LED on a Meth Injection System

OK I was bored at like midnight and I just finished installing my AIS Stage 1 Trunk System yesterday (picked it up from another member for 250 brand new) and I have been sitting here thinking of ways to monitor what boost pressure it activates at.

As we all know it comes preset to activate at 10psi but I was kind of stupid and decided to mess with it a little and got it all out of whack so i didn't know when it was set to activate. I tried trial and error by putting all the windows up and radio off and just gunning it in second and tryin to watch the boost gauge and listen for the pump to activate but i found it very difficult to hear the pulsing of the pump over the engine and exhaust even with the cab sealed and everything (radio and air vents) turned off. So after i called Rodney at AIS, who is a very good guy to talk to if you have questions or concerns about meth by the way, and asking him about my LED idea he said it sounded fine. I dont know if anyone else on this site has ever done this I am sure it has been done before because it is so simple i dont see how anyone could not have thought of it but anyway on to the how to... I decided i wanted to install and LED up front near the boost gauge so i could visually see at what boost level the pump was activating.

I picked up a four pack of little red leds at advance auto (they make red, blue, green, and white) here is a pic of one

next i took out the a pillar and unhooked my boost gauge which is pretty simple im sure anyone can figure this one out.

Using a 3/16 drill bit (I used progressively larger bits until the led fitted through the hole but was still held in the back by the little flange) and picked my location that i wanted the LED to protrude. The brand i bought is pretty bright so it really lights up the boost gauge face bright at night. Sorry i couldnt get a pic of it lighting up but its midnight and i would have to get to atleast 12psi and wake up the whole neighborhood but i guess you guys can imagine what a red led looks like for now. Now just stick the LED Through the hole and find some wire to run back the trunk (or wherever your pump is mounted).

Now the pump has two positive connections right next to each other, the one on the AIS kit that you want to connect the positive wire for the LED is the one on the bottom of the boost switch. you can see where i connected in this pic

Next hook up your ground, i just spliced into the ground wire for the pump like below.

I just used some 18 gauge speaker wire i had laying around the house for the power and ground connections on the led because its already stuck together and its easier to hide than two wires that are seperated but its up to you i guess cuz these LEDs dont really require much power at all. This mod is sort of simple but i have never seen anyone with it so i figured i would make my first how to on this. If anyone has already posted this you guys let me know but i can tell you its a great simple way to monitor your meth systems pump and to tweak your psi that you want it to activate at. Let me get some feedback on everyones thoughts of this...

Last edited by TommyP; 05-17-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend drilling from the front of the pillar instead of the back. It will prevent the drill burring and give you a cleaner hole.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM

NOICEEE!!! i was thinking the same thing haha case i didnt wanna have to hook it up to hp tuners or anything. great job man. ill def be doing this once i get my meth kit in
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 PM

I wired up an led to my AIS fender mount system a while back, its really simple, and I just put mine in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel where the trunk release is. It definately helps tell when it comes on.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I would recommend drilling from the front of the pillar instead of the back. It will prevent the drill burring and give you a cleaner hole.
Yea after i snapped that pic i put the bit throught from the front side and got the burrs of plastic off there. It works awesome and it super easy to adjust this way.

Originally Posted by AjSS
I wired up an led to my AIS fender mount system a while back, its really simple, and I just put mine in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel where the trunk release is. It definately helps tell when it comes on.
yea i was surprised no one had done one on here at least that i have seen..

Last edited by scampbell; 07-23-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 PM

I just jumped off the boost switch and ran a test light out from the hood and put it on my wiper blade and drove around. Just hooked up ground to it and hot off the boost switch and it worked like a charm. Mine sprays at 7.5psi. I turned the knob 1/4 turn more sensitive from the 10 psi it came stock at.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26
I just jumped off the boost switch and ran a test light out from the hood and put it on my wiper blade and drove around. Just hooked up ground to it and hot off the boost switch and it worked like a charm. Mine sprays at 7.5psi. I turned the knob 1/4 turn more sensitive from the 10 psi it came stock at.
Hmm..I talked to rodney at AIS for a good little while about my setup and i see your mods are almost exactly the same as the ones i am running right now. He told me that we should set the pump to activate between 2/3 and 3/4 full boost so im runnin about 15.5 psi so im settin mine to kick on between 11 and twelve psi right now but i dont think it will really hurt anything for you to spray that early but with the way i drive i would be wastin a lot of fluid pumpin that early. I just had to order a throttle body spacer from OTT performance because my meth and water mixture was puddlin up pretty bad right before the throttle body because of the accordian lookin part of the stock upper intake tube was collectin a lot of water when the pump was shutting down.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM

The SnowPerformance Stage 1 kit i have comes with an LED for that...it hooks to the relay with all the other stuff. I need to find a 12V switched under the hood for the boost switch...
Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM
n8g

Great idea. If I install my kit, I WILL do this. Just don't get it confused with a shift light.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by n8g
Great idea. If I install my kit, I WILL do this. Just don't get it confused with a shift light.
Yea that could be confusing if you werent paying attention.. If i get a shift light i will probably get a different color light and it will probably be alot brighter.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this a while ago. but good write up.
works great.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics of it lit up?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Pics of it lit up?
I unhooked the system yesterday because im on vacation and the factory intake was causing the meth/water mix to puddle up right before the throttle body because of the little ridged section ( the part that kinda looks like an accordian right before the t/b) and i went ahead and ordered a t/b spacer and some new fittings to switch the check valve up to before the nozzle and they didnt get to my house in time before i left for vacation. I will post some more up when i get home and hook the system back up because of course the parts came to my house like a couple hours after i left...
Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 AM

click
Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
click
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 PM

very nice!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Sub'd
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM

anyone have a write up on installing a meth kit and what is preffered? Snow Performance, Devils Own Injection, or Alcohol Injection Systems?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Anybody knows how to do this on the devils meth universal kit?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by rcorona8
Anybody knows how to do this on the devils meth universal kit?
all you do is tap the positive side of the light into the power wire for the pump. then ground the other side.