How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

Appearance: How-To: Remove glare spots above cut-off line with 3rd Gen. Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How-To: Remove glare spots above cut-off line with 3rd Gen. Projectors

So I've been told this doesn't show up as well with halogens as it does with HIDs. This post will show you exactly what you need to get rid of the ugly glare spots that you're probably being highbeamed for as you drive.

- A big thanks to EvilSS for giving me this info, I would still be pissed with my headlights if I hadn't found his post!

Tools needed:

- 10mm socket (to remove headlight)
- Philips screwdriver (to remove reflector screw)
- coathanger or something skinny (to hold reflector in place)
- Muffler Putty, high temp silicone, or other filler (to fill the hole left by the screw)
- a pen or something with a flat end (to push the filler into the screw hole)
- patience
- a few beers

So when you first installed your HIDs in your 3rd gens, you were probably all excited, until you saw this

and said WTF?!??!? I tired everything to get rid of this, to no avail, and then one day last week I read a post of EvilSS's which told me what to do. So here it is in how-to form!

The shiny piece in the reflector housing is the bastard which creates the spots:

So let's start. Grab your 10mm socket and get those headlights out. Since you put the new ones in, I'm gonna figure you're not retarded and know how to do it. Hopefully you wired em up so you can disconnect them easily
Take the lowbeam bulb out of the projector and set it aside. Look inside the headlight and this is what you see:

So grab your philips and start unscrewing it. At one point the reflector piece will start to spin, so grab your coathanger, straighten it out, and shove it down inside to stop the piece from spinning around.
If you need to you can look through the front of the headlight to see where the hanger and reflector are. Either way this was a bitch for me, the first light took me 20 min to get the piece off, the 2nd was like 30 secs lol.
The piece should fall off, so start shaking the headlight to get the reflector and screw to fall out. This is what you're left with:

This is the little reflector:

Front of your light should look like this now (reflector piece is missing):

So grab your high temp filler. I grabbed muffler putty from partsource but I don't think you guys have that in the states. Autozone will prolly have some. It cost me about $4 for a tube. It goes on like jelly and hardens up quite fast.. do this part in a shady spot!

Grab your pen or flatheaded object and smear some on the flat side, and press it down into the headlight on to the cut-off shield where the hole is. Try not to get it on the edge of the cutoff shield or itll show up when you turn your lights on. It took me a few tries but I got them both filled:

Make sure theres no filler left on where the bulb sits, I'm not sure xenon lights would like muffler cement

So now you're done! Easy, would've taken me about 30 min if I didn't have to run out and get the putty, I was hoping the screw would just go back in the hole by itself... but no dice.

And the finished result:

I had leftover time since I did this so fast, I did this:

She just needs some wax over where the bowtie was, and one hell of a wash.

I hope this guide helps, any questions or suggestions, PM me. This is my first how-to

Last edited by TommyP; 05-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Epic! Could this be done to second gen ccfl projectors too?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brock.Roberts
Epic! Could this be done to second gen ccfl projectors too?
The 2nd generation projectors shouldn't have such a spot on their light output. (Mine don't)

If you are getting scattered light, it could either be from improper bulb install (The return lead is in the wrong position) or its from those stupid vertical lines that are stamped on the actual lens of the assembly. Post a pic of the light output so we can see if anything is wrong. They are ECE code lamps, so the cutoff should be more of a swoosh rather than a Z cutoff like the OP's.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM

I will have to remember this if i get the 3rd gens.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM

awesome. when i do get the HIDs then i will have to do this. now that i aligned the halogens properly i dont see so much of that glare, like you mentioned. but great write up. thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM

do we need that reflector piece and screw? here's why i ask.....

I got 3rd gen headlights in and of course there are no instructions.... i put them on following the different posts on here but had one head light that looked a little off or could have just been the problem that is mentioned above with the glare. It was only my left front headlight that seemed to be off (or showed signs of glare). Anyways, i have no clue how to "adjust" the halogen bulb, since again, no instructions with the headlights...so like a tard i just started unscrewing that screw and reflector piece. Now they have fallen out of my left front headlight and i continued reading down and see where people say "if i get HID's, i'll remember this"......or "i adjusted my halogens so the glare is gone"

So in other words did i just **** myself by taking that screw and reflector out???

gosh these things are a pain
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM

sub'd
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 PM

I just bought a set of gen 3's. I haven't installed them yet but when I do and if I have this problem then Iwill know how to fix it. Thamks. Quick question with everyone with gen 3's, does anyone have fine scratch like flaws in the lenses that are only visable on certain angles??
Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Just did this yesterday and I am definitely happy with how it turned out. imo, 3rd gens modded like this are the next best thing to retros. good write up man.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM

bump so more people see this. old ass thread but a useful writeup
Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
bump so more people see this. old ass thread but a useful writeup
yes it is, everyone with 3rd gens should do this, it only takes like 10 min, and makes a huge difference.