How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

General Suspension: k sport coilover install(56k get a beer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i was wondering about about getting these also but whats the difference between this set and the other coilovers besides the fact that these are cheaper by about 2-3 hundred less dollars....Also what is the problem if i would get these if i would get some rims, something was said about rubbing??? and what about the axles making vibrations and what not like it was said on page 1 or so...Just need some more explanation because i dont wanna buy em and then have problems with them

also, why would you need to get them finely tuned you cant just treat them as regular springs and go get a alignment done and youll be set??
If anyone can answer these questions for me i would greatly appreciate it
thanks max
Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
decent, when my struts start going from the eibachs im gonna sell the eibachs and buy these instead of getting koni's i mean think about it, 200 dollar lowering springs, 600 dollar struts = 800

coilover= 1000.

wow 200 dollars for more adjustability and less headache lol oh well
Old 07-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
so i was wondering about about getting these also but whats the difference between this set and the other coilovers besides the fact that these are cheaper by about 2-3 hundred less dollars....Also what is the problem if i would get these if i would get some rims, something was said about rubbing??? and what about the axles making vibrations and what not like it was said on page 1 or so...Just need some more explanation because i dont wanna buy em and then have problems with them

also, why would you need to get them finely tuned you cant just treat them as regular springs and go get a alignment done and youll be set??
If anyone can answer these questions for me i would greatly appreciate it
thanks max
the biggest difference this set has with most of the rest is that the lower mount is ride height adjustable so you get the full range of motion of the strut, the pther difference is that they come with pillowtop mounts so you can adjust the camber settings. as far as rubbing goes, mine started rubbing when i had the car about 3.5-4 inches below stock, so i raised it up a half inch , and no more rubbing issues. the reason why you would want them tuned by a good shop is because getting them 4 corner balanced is something that a normal alignment shop is not equipped to do, as well as, most alignment shops are not equipped and do not know how to adjust the toe and alignment on a lowered car. i found this out from experience, went to 3 different shop, and none of them could get it right or even close to right. finally i went to a performance tuning shop and they tuned it perfectly.
as far as axle angle anytime you lower the car a lot like mine the angle of the axles will go up, regardless of what you use to do the lowering, fact of life, but mine has no vibration issues from this whatsoever.

hope that helps
jimbo
Old 07-15-2007, 03:52 PM

so by looking for a performance tuning shop how can i honestly find one?? I mean I have never even heard of a toe or nething to that regard sorry about me having no knowledge behind my questions
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
so by looking for a performance tuning shop how can i honestly find one?? I mean I have never even heard of a toe or nething to that regard sorry about me having no knowledge behind my questions
these guys might be able to help you, there in richmond. and if they can't, i'm sure they know who can.:http://www.performanceautosport.com/services.asp

oh yah i wouldn't tell them you own a cobalt, they'll probably laugh at you,it's a strictly mustang performance shop. just tell them you need to know if they can tune a custom coilover kit, and if not who can.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
GTP

Hey did K SPort give you a spring rate on these coilovers? What is it in kilograms or lbs per square inch. The instruciotns or info should show if these at like 10K front or 8K rear etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Looks nice! I take it you have smooth roads? That set-up would be torture where I live!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
GTP

This is the info I found on the K-sports. I inquired about changing spring rates up or down 2k.

Ksport Kontrol Pro Fully Adjustable Coilover Kits provide the ultimate in suspension technology for your street or track car. 36 levels of dampening adjustment allow you to fine tune the ride to your handling and comfort needs. The dampening adjusts compression and rebound simultaneously for ease of adjustment. Pillow ball top mounts in the front and rear on some applications allow you to maintain vehicle manufacturer suspension geometry design. The pillow ball top mounts also allow you a more direct feel for solid driver response. Camber adjustability is included on pillow ball top mounts that allow it for the ability to adjust camber from the actual coilover, instead of a separate camber kit.
Most applications utilize an adjustable lower mount, which means you adjust height without losing suspension travel like some other coilover designs do. With the mounts and most pieces of the coilover being designed for 6061 billet aluminum the kit is lightweight, durable, and rust resistant. The steel shock body is electroplated with zinc to resist rust and the elements. The valving of each set is matched to the springs installed for unmatched ride quality and reliability.

The Ksport system uses a Monotube design in which the oil and gas are separated within the cylinder. When compared to twin tube designs the Monotube dissipates heat better, allows finer dampening adjustments, and requires more expensive design process. Aeration and cavatation are a lot less common in a Monotube design, which results in a better ride.

The Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilover kit has been designed with professional road racing in mind offering extremely high value and performance.

Set Includes:
• 4 Pieces (2 Front & 2 Rear)
• 2 Height Adjustment Wrenches
• 4 Damper Adjustment Keys
• Front Pillowball Mounts & Rear Top Mounts

Key Features:

• Spring Rate Front: 7kg/mm - 390lb/in
• Spring Rate Rear: 4kg/mm - 224lb/in
• Custom Spring Rates Available! Call or email for more info

• Fits all 05+ Cobalts including SS and Non SS.
• 36-way adjustable dampening
• Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness
• Compression/Rebound adjustable
• Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
• Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel
• Pillow Ball Top Mount w/ adjustable camber (not available for some models)
• Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage
• Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust
• One Year Limited Warranty
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM

So how has the coilovers been for you so far. I been thinking of getting these next.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:41 AM

how low can u drop the car on these. i wanna be able to sit my car low. like fender almost touching the tire. im currently running the factory 18s w/ 215 45/18 tires. i have the eibach sportlines but im really not happy with em..
Old 07-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by SS4ME
Looks nice! I take it you have smooth roads? That set-up would be torture where I live!
no the roads here in LA are horrible, when i'm just daily driving, i have the struts at the softest setting.

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
So how has the coilovers been for you so far. I been thinking of getting these next.
very good actually, i still highly recommend them to everyone looking for the best drop/handling .

Originally Posted by Tsa_Performance
how low can u drop the car on these. i wanna be able to sit my car low. like fender almost touching the tire. im currently running the factory 18s w/ 215 45/18 tires. i have the eibach sportlines but im really not happy with em..
i have mine set to zero wheel gap, and i'm not getting any rubbing.

Last edited by jimbos'ss; 07-21-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Doc

everytime I see your car, I wanna go and order the coilovers...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doc
everytime I see your car, I wanna go and order the coilovers...
just do it ...nike
Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Doc

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
just do it ...nike
I have 'other' priorities ...they will come soon enough though.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doc
I have 'other' priorities ...they will come soon enough though.
it's all good starting next month no more mods till hahn comes out with the turbos, so the saving starts now.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the rear shocks adjustable at all?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Are the rear shocks adjustable at all?
unfortunately not, only ride height is adjustable for the rear, i recently decided, i'm gonna switch to the koni struts for the rear so it will be fully adjustable .

updated info: i found that if you lower the rear as much as i have the struts will be almost bottomed out, i tried to see if the factory rear struts did the same and they do, so i'm gonna take the car to a shop and have the lower strut mounts for the rear put about an inch and a half lower. this way i'll retain the full range of motion on the rear struts like the front.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 PM

hey really like the coilovers. i have a 2.2 will that kit for mine being that i dont have struts in the rear? thanx.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Great writeup!!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by jerseyfatboy
hey really like the coilovers. i have a 2.2 will that kit for mine being that i dont have struts in the rear? thanx.
thanks man, it should fit all cobalts

Originally Posted by thedub784
Great writeup!!
thanks

Last edited by jimbos'ss; 10-08-2007 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jerseyfatboy
you do have struts in the rear....its just a different setup than the front...the front uses a coil-over strock setup...the rear is a spring and the strut is behind it...
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by laserblue2006
you do have struts in the rear....its just a different setup than the front...the front uses a coil-over strock setup...the rear is a spring and the strut is behind it...
absolutely true, just look at the pics on page one.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM

ok i see it now guys thanx alot........o nd great write up jimbo
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 PM

mmm.... SEX!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM

i was going to use lowering springs but i have been looking at their coilovers. they look like a nice product. would you say you are happy with them?

Quick Reply: General Suspension: k sport coilover install(56k get a beer)