JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 PM
JBP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssnipes
I want to make as much HP with Stock S/C. I am planning other internal changes. If I do an engine build (pistons, rods, cam timing sprokets, valve springs, THE CAM REGRIND OF TOPIC HERE), and outside supporting modifications (Exhaust, intake, 60lbs injectors and HP Tuners). will this get me to 400 to 500HP? If not will a different cam regrind help?

Basically I am targeting the 400 to 500HP. I dont believe in spending money twice. will the cam regrind be enough to be useful to reach these power levels?
No, you require a custom camshaft to harness this instant. We're considering wild grinds were the customer will require to change just the intake cam gear from stock to adj. This would allow us to come up with wilder grinds in both regrind and billet form.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JBP
No, you require a custom camshaft to harness this instant. We're considering wild grinds were the customer will require to change just the intake cam gear from stock to adj. This would allow us to come up with wilder grinds in both regrind and billet form.
so you mean for that much horsepower he would need a custom camshaft???

because i was going for this much also and i would like to know everything i need for internals

and a core is your stock part that you send back correct???

but what is a blank?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM
JBP
Banned

You have to take several things into consideration. (ie: how is the power going to be made, via how much boost, turbo, supercharger, etc..) Also, you will lose a significant amount of bottom end torque with a custom radical grind, as we would project the powerband up quite a bit to gain more power. This is all done through the camshaft and cylinder head. We've done several LD9s that hit up in around the 500HP mark. For these, the heads were opened up and flowed, as well as the camshaft profile made to match the head. It's mostly paperwork. You also have to realize that custom camshafts would require manditory tuning. But these "off-the shelf" triflows should be more than adequate for those who want to have driveability and be able to make power.

Blanks are "blank" camshafts that do not have a profile (yet) ground into them.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBP
You have to take several things into consideration. (ie: how is the power going to be made, via how much boost, turbo, supercharger, etc..) Also, you will lose a significant amount of bottom end torque with a custom radical grind, as we would project the powerband up quite a bit to gain more power. This is all done through the camshaft and cylinder head. We've done several LD9s that hit up in around the 500HP mark. For these, the heads were opened up and flowed, as well as the camshaft profile made to match the head. It's mostly paperwork. You also have to realize that custom camshafts would require manditory tuning. But these "off-the shelf" triflows should be more than adequate for those who want to have driveability and be able to make power.

Okay so How close will I come to 400HP with m62 SC with a 2.6 pulley, cam grind, 10.5:1 pistons, 60lbs injectors, HP tuned, 3" exhaust and manifold, intake. would a lighter flywheel and rods benefit.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:09 PM
JBP
Banned

Okay so How close will I come to 400HP with m62 SC with a 2.6 pulley, cam grind, 10.5:1 pistons, 60lbs injectors, HP tuned, 3" exhaust and manifold, intake. would a lighter flywheel and rods benefit.

400CHP or 400WHP? big difference.... Basically, if we're talking at the crank. You're doubling the output of the engine with three power mods, (compression, cams and pulley), natural mods, (intake, 3" exhaust, "manifold"), and free-up mod, (Flywheel) and lastly, safety mod & slight free up, (Connecting rods and tuning.)

I'd wager, and I'll never, (ever) post a definate HP gain, that you should be a tad over 310-350CHP. Again, only way to be sure... install it all and head to the dyno.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBP

so to make the 400-500 horsepower we would need the custom cams???

so the customs would produce more horsepower than the tri-flow???

and wouldnt u need to tune with the tri-flow cams anyways???
Old 12-17-2006, 05:14 AM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by CbYellowSS
so to make the 400-500 horsepower we would need the custom cams???

so the customs would produce more horsepower than the tri-flow???

and wouldnt u need to tune with the tri-flow cams anyways???
Yes, to make 500HP with a custom Triflow, youre at the point where you need a very aggressive profile to squeeze more than what the Stage 2 Triflow can deliver.

With the Stage 2 Triflows, you don't need to tune, but it's a good thing anyway.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:39 AM

How much HP are these cams good up to? With these cams and a set of valve springs would it be safe to rev to 7500rpm or around there? So it make more power across the whole powerband? Do you have that older dyno sheet of the cams before and after on the stock 2.0l that you could post or email me?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM
JBP
Banned

the answer to your HP question is one post above yours. Yes, with these cams and valve springs, you'll be safe at 7500RPM. Yes, power gains are across the powerband, the dyno sheet i'll dig up and post publically.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:50 AM

what about cam gears? how necessary are they?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by JCswoosher2
what about cam gears? how necessary are they?
Not necessary. Springs are recommended though.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I think you addressed this, but could you rehash?

If we have the GM Stage 2 will there be issues with the stock valvetrain revving up to 7000RPM with these cams? Basically, would it be necessary to upgrade at that point, or just advised?

Why do I ask? Eventually I want to build a bare block up with all the goodies that are out for the LSJ to be bulletproof. That is when I would plan on using a ported head with upgraded valvetrain components. Until I can build that engine; though, which is years down the road from being complete, cams seem to be a nice touch to a daily driven LSJ.

My setup would be GMS2, CAI, Full-Exhaust + Cams daily driven. Yeah or Nah?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I plan to Dyno-tune this setup when complete.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 AM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by Edubs

If we have the GM Stage 2 will there be issues with the stock valvetrain revving up to 7000RPM with these cams? Basically, would it be necessary to upgrade at that point, or just advised?

Why do I ask? Eventually I want to build a bare block up with all the goodies that are out for the LSJ to be bulletproof. That is when I would plan on using a ported head with upgraded valvetrain components. Until I can build that engine; though, which is years down the road from being complete, cams seem to be a nice touch to a daily driven LSJ.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I plan to Dyno-tune this setup when complete.
You're right on the line of decision. You can, at this time, get away with the camshafts at the redline you've indicated. But I strongly recommend at least a valve spring swap. We sell LSJ valve springs that can take the stock retainers/locks.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Those numbers have been attained with almost those exact mods. I'm talkin' whp. The LSJ I have in mind had a ported head and Ti valvetrain as well (revving up to 8300rpm I think) The car is out of commission at the moment, but is being rebuilt even more this time.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
You're right on the line of decision. You can, at this time, get away with the camshafts at the redline you've indicated. But I strongly recommend at least a valve spring swap. We sell LSJ valve springs that can take the stock retainers/locks.
So if revving to 7k on this setup is borderline, then can I assume it would be safe to simply have the cams, w/o tuning, hit the street, and have them produce gains if I plan on not going higher than the as shown 6500 rpm redline?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:04 PM

That's the word on the street...
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by Sorority Demon
So if revving to 7k on this setup is borderline, then can I assume it would be safe to simply have the cams, w/o tuning, hit the street, and have them produce gains if I plan on not going higher than the as shown 6500 rpm redline?
Thats correct. You can install the camshafts without any further modifcations to the valvetrain, pending you keep the 6500RPM (stock) redline.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:09 PM

How dangerous do you really think it is to run the stock springs on these cams at 7k? Cause if it's that bad then we need to talk...
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 PM
JBP
Banned

How dangerous do you really think it is to run the stock springs on these cams at 7k? Cause if it's that bad then we need to talk...
On our spring dyno, @7K with the stock cams and springs isn't a problem. When you introduce our camshaft profile, you're still not quite in valve floating territory, however, you are introducing a resonance that could literally break the spring-wire. Why risk it? Just upgrade your valve springs if you're higher than stock redline w/cams.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Okay, then when this GB starts to come to fruition, I'm going to need to talk to you about Springs, possibly locks, retainers, seats, etc...
Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Moderator Alumni

The cams still giving the out of sync CEL?

Also what do you recommend to go with the CAMS? If I spend some money I would like to be able to increase my redline.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 PM
JBP
Banned

No, that CELs long-gone.

Like I mentioned, the JBP springs are more than enough for people who are staying under 7800RPM. The nice thing about these springs is that you don't have to spend a fortune on locks, retainers. They are interchangable and fine for this RPM level.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Pardon the stupid question...

How will these cams effect exhaust flow? Seeing as I plan on having a custom exhaust made, should these cams effect my decision as to what size exhaust I use?

My goal is to have a 2.79" pulley dyno tuned with 60 lbs'ers, these cams, my custom 3" CAI and custom full exhaust. Should be enough with the right suspension mods to get me into 12's...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:32 PM

so what is the max hp that these cams can take????
Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 AM
JBP
Banned

Pardon the stupid question...

How will these cams effect exhaust flow? Seeing as I plan on having a custom exhaust made, should these cams effect my decision as to what size exhaust I use?

My goal is to have a 2.79" pulley dyno tuned with 60 lbs'ers, these cams, my custom 3" CAI and custom full exhaust. Should be enough with the right suspension mods to get me into 12's...
There will be an increase in boost. You will peg the stock boost ctrl solenoid with these cams, so there will be an increase in overall flow through the engine. 3.0" inch would be ideal as well as to support future mods.
so what is the max hp that these cams can take????
There is no MAX HP rating for these cams. They can take any horse power range. However, when you want to make a large gain, a custom grind is recommended.

Quick Reply: JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread