JBP 2.0L LSJ Triflow Camshafts GB - Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:29 AM
MVP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JBP
great, can you also state what you bought. ie: billets/regrinds and/or JBP springs or other springs. There's enough ppl to get a good all around test bed. The local guys who have our cams and had them installed by me have nothing but positive results with good whp.
sure they are regrinds. (I couldnt justify the 800 for the billet cores you guys wanted) not to mention you guys were saying how it didnt really matter idf they were regrinds or new grinds. i have the ferrea valve springs and titanium locks. maby ill have luck with them. well i hope I do. I'm almost certain that the JBP team is NOT the only place in north america that can install these cams or any cams for that matter. Are these guy's that have had the install done at JBP on these forums? If so who are they? I even went as far as to degree these cams. I dont know if you recall but you receiven a email from a pretty unique email address. it was a @navy.mil email address and it was aking for the exact specs centerlines for the Stage II T/F cams. well that was me. I asked for the specs just so I could degree the cams. Honestly like I said I think/hope that these cams are going to perform flawlessly. if for some reason they dont I need to know that you guys are going to help me out and not throw me on the back burner like ive see happen to others.

Originally Posted by M88ArRamadi
I have your CAB's (bought from INTENSE Racing) .....no problems with the CAB's...checked yesterday too

Would you take the cams back now? Or atleast exchange them 1 for 1?

Nothing like the feeling of dropping $700 on cams that ended up being for a L61

that would be B/S ifd they didnt replace them. you didnt get what you payed for bottom line.

Last edited by MVP; 10-20-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MVP
sure they are regrinds. (I couldnt justify the 800 for the billet cores you guys wanted) not to mention you guys were saying how it didnt really matter idf they were regrinds or new grinds. i have the ferrea valve springs and titanium locks. maby ill have luck with them. well i hope I do. I'm almost certain that the JBP team is NOT the only place in north america that can install these cams or any cams for that matter. Are these guy's that have had the install done at JBP on these forums? If so who are they? I even went as far as to degree these cams. I dont know if you recall but you receiven a email from a pretty unique email address. it was a @navy.mil email address and it was aking for the exact specs centerlines for the Stage II T/F cams. well that was me. I asked for the specs just so I could degree the cams. Honestly like I said I think/hope that these cams are going to perform flawlessly. if for some reason they dont I need to know that you guys are going to help me out and not throw me on the back burner like ive see happen to others.
I would like to know this as well. And why haven't any dyno charts been produced yet either?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:18 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by M88ArRamadi
I have your CAB's (bought from INTENSE Racing) .....no problems with the CAB's...checked yesterday too

Would you take the cams back now? Or atleast exchange them 1 for 1?

Nothing like the feeling of dropping $700 on cams that ended up being for a L61
Yeah, the CABs were a real issue, both on our part and the installation of some customers. You can't push them into the control arm using the center pin... Some customers admit to doing this and we still offer an exchange. If they ever fail, give us a holler, we'll exchange `em.

As for the cams I'm not too sure what youre referring to?... Can you PM me and give me some background info.

Originally Posted by MVP

that would be B/S ifd they didnt replace them. you didnt get what you payed for bottom line.
We don't remember every email address/customer.. It's just too much to deal with. Hence why we went dealer only.. It frees up a huge time constraint that we were having.

Regardless, regrinds vs. billets, you'll get the same profile. Some people prefer the billets seeing as they are steel not cast and much more durable. If you degreed them, you should definately get matching specs. Can you scan and post the profile sheet you got from degreeing?

We're not the only place to install the cams, but I've seen enough people who were genuinely, 100% sure of how to go about installing the cams and screwed things up. This is why we recommended going straight to the dealer for installation.

You have ferreas', then you MUST clearance the head. No question about it... I've done those myself and we made a custom tool to do the seats and oil frames.

Other than that, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by MVP
Are these guy's that have had the install done at JBP on these forums? If so who are they?
I missed this one... some are, they just have to pipe up...

Last edited by JBP; 10-20-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM
MVP

Originally Posted by JBP
Yeah, the CABs were a real issue, both on our part and the installation of some customers. You can't push them into the control arm using the center pin... Some customers admit to doing this and we still offer an exchange. If they ever fail, give us a holler, we'll exchange `em.

As for the cams I'm not too sure what youre referring to?... Can you PM me and give me some background info.

We don't remember every email address/customer.. It's just too much to deal with. Hence why we went dealer only.. It frees up a huge time constraint that we were having.

Regardless, regrinds vs. billets, you'll get the same profile. Some people prefer the billets seeing as they are steel not cast and much more durable. If you degreed them, you should definately get matching specs. Can you scan and post the profile sheet you got from degreeing?

We're not the only place to install the cams, but I've seen enough people who were genuinely, 100% sure of how to go about installing the cams and screwed things up. This is why we recommended going straight to the dealer for installation.

You have ferreas', then you MUST clearance the head. No question about it... I've done those myself and we made a custom tool to do the seats and oil frames.
Other than that, you should be fine.

I missed this one... some are, they just have to pipe up...

my head has been set up and ported and polished by Dave Endrigo of flowtechnics. www.flowtechnicsonline.com there have been (others with the LSJ engine) to run cams that are way more agressive profiles then the T/F stage II cams, they have not had any cylinder head issues. Wait I take that back there has been one guy who had issues but again he is/was very limited when it comes to experience with cars let alone installing cams. anyway I know you guys get alot of customers but if you say that there are local guys who are running them without issues because you've installed the cams. Dont you think that you may want to check your service recordsfor thier phone number or something and give them a call and say, "hey guy/guys heres whats going on there are alot of people who are having issues or are scared to run my cams becauyse they think that thgey are going to have issues can you get on here and post up" IMHO if they are satisfied customers then they most likely wouldnt have any problem with backing you up. Untill then you can come here and say all you want. this is the internet you wouldnt be the first one to come to a forum and spread B/S. Dont get me wrong im not saying that your doing that but you've never came out with dyno sheets, you dont have actual customers backing you up and from what it sounds like your not helping the people with issues after they installed your product. i remember you saying that you have spent alot of time and money with R&D on these cams well isnt all of this part of Proper R&D? I spoke with Geoff at colt cams more times then I can count and he has a hard time getting ahold of you too. **** man i havent even ran these cams and with each post you make I get more and more scared to jack my $5+K engine up. Geoff has given me everything ive needed and then some everytime I speak with him. like I said all most of us including myself want to hear from you is that if we can have some sort of proof that if we have these cams installed correctly and a issue shoulod arise that directly relates to your cams that you would rectify the situation. you keep avoiding nor have anyof us seen proof that your attempting to fix any of the guys issues. you recommend the dealer huh. what if I tod you that my dealership managed to put a giant hole in my oil pan and told me that they slipped with a wrench would you reccomend them then? how can you back someone up that you have no idea of there track record. (is it the paperwork that they may have? if so I can show you certs untill your eyes fall out that I have personally obtained. or is it the fact that then you can blame it on the dealership if there is an issue with your cams? like I said we need reassurance here Mev and your not giving it.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM

MVP, if I were you, I would scrap those cams and go with something already proven. I know its not what you want to hear, but like you said, you just dumped a boat load of money into that engine and for it to go wrong because of these cams would suck. As stated over and over again, JBP has yet to provide the "happy" and "satisfied" customers who have these cams, dyno charts, and solutions to those with problems with the cams (including myself). You guys are ignoring the questions, you are putting the big issues aside, you aren't helping solve the problems, and you aren't producing real facts and numbers.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM
MVP

Originally Posted by DTM2188
MVP, if I were you, I would scrap those cams and go with something already proven. I know its not what you want to hear, but like you said, you just dumped a boat load of money into that engine and for it to go wrong because of these cams would suck. As stated over and over again, JBP has yet to provide the "happy" and "satisfied" customers who have these cams, dyno charts, and solutions to those with problems with the cams (including myself). You guys are ignoring the questions, you are putting the big issues aside, you aren't helping solve the problems, and you aren't producing real facts and numbers.
well im the one who originated the whole evo 272 cams well i wont take credit for it i helped. the person who first brought it up with the whole evo HKS specs on a LSJ was sinister redlines over on the RLF. the cams i speak of you may have seen floating around in a few cobalt SS S/C cars and a few Ion REDLINES. the same guy who those cams come through is the same guy who set my head up. also what you just said about JBP couldnt be more true right now.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:50 PM
JBP
Banned

I called two of our previous customers who's cams Ive installed, they don't nor want anything to do with the internet. To be truthful and unbiased, one customer didn't like the cams due to the idle quality, while the other was very happy with it.

Without any delay, I can show the dyno's from our tester car way back... (some might recall this dyno) This dyno showed, in the mid range, approximately 15whp untuned gain.

Otherwise, I'd have to pull a customers car back in here that has the cams and dyno it to get real numbers.

I can't Geoff sometimes too, doesn't mean he doesn't care... We're a three man shop. I'm stretched beyond belief with Rods project and about 50 other things to do with the shop. It may sound whiny, but its the truth. I'm willing to work with anyone with anything reasonable... Which is why this is a call out to those with cams from the GB.... So far, only yourself came forward and you didn't even install the cams. I just checked our records, we've sold over 38 sets of TF cams... All ECOTEC engines. Where's everyone who installed the cams...

Now, this is directly right at your MVP and only you. If you install the cams and don't like them, please SEND THEM BACK... If you install the cams and the cams are at fault for damaging your engine, I'll cover the cost to fix it. <-- It's in writing!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBP

I have a press so the CAB's were no problem....they are still holding up too .

Sent you a PM about me getting L61 cams instead of LSJ cams.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MVP
well im the one who originated the whole evo 272 cams well i wont take credit for it i helped. the person who first brought it up with the whole evo HKS specs on a LSJ was sinister redlines over on the RLF. the cams i speak of you may have seen floating around in a few cobalt SS S/C cars and a few Ion REDLINES. the same guy who those cams come through is the same guy who set my head up. also what you just said about JBP couldnt be more true right now.
Its funny because I now have an Evo haha. If you ever are interested in a set of HKS 272's, I can probably get them cheaper with my forum discount over there, let me know.

Originally Posted by JBP
I called two of our previous customers who's cams Ive installed, they don't nor want anything to do with the internet. To be truthful and unbiased, one customer didn't like the cams due to the idle quality, while the other was very happy with it.

Without any delay, I can show the dyno's from our tester car way back... (some might recall this dyno) This dyno showed, in the mid range, approximately 15whp untuned gain.

Otherwise, I'd have to pull a customers car back in here that has the cams and dyno it to get real numbers.

I can't Geoff sometimes too, doesn't mean he doesn't care... We're a three man shop. I'm stretched beyond belief with Rods project and about 50 other things to do with the shop. It may sound whiny, but its the truth. I'm willing to work with anyone with anything reasonable... Which is why this is a call out to those with cams from the GB.... So far, only yourself came forward and you didn't even install the cams. I just checked our records, we've sold over 38 sets of TF cams... All ECOTEC engines. Where's everyone who installed the cams...
Now, this is directly right at your MVP and only you. If you install the cams and don't like them, please SEND THEM BACK... If you install the cams and the cams are at fault for damaging your engine, I'll cover the cost to fix it. <-- It's in writing!
I would like to see both the original dyno sheet and someone else's dyno sheet that you would have to call to come in to get dyno'ed.

What can you do for me? My cams were installed already, you know the story already. Can't I be compensated some how?

Also, if 38 sets of cams were sold, doesn't it seem odd that there is very little positive talk about the cams and no dyno sheets at all?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Haha, nope I can't beat $250, I tried haha.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
MVP

Originally Posted by DTM2188
Haha, nope I can't beat $250, I tried haha.
thanks for the offer I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Hopefully everything goes smoothly with your build and things get sorted out here in a timely matter for everyone involved.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MVP
I can get the grind put on a LSJ cam for 250 bucks. it also includes the nessesary shims to ensure that the proper valve train geometry is maintained. if you can beat that price that would be awesome.

HKS dosent actually do the grind on the LSJ cams. its another cam grinder.

Am I reading this right??? $250 for HKS 272 grind w/shims??? :wow:

Originally Posted by JBP

mine were bought right before the group buy...IIRC.

Last edited by M88ArRamadi; 10-20-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 PM

wow I've been gone quite awhile, with work wedding and baby, but I had no idea this post had gone so bad, otherwise I would have posted long ago.

I now have 80K on my car, 60K of which had the stage 2 cams. those are my dyno charts, because I was the tester for the Cams.
right now my car is running strong, no codes, and tuned with an AF of 12 right to redline.

I saw some complaints about how JBP should be responsible for the install, which is ridiculous, to say the least.

people have asked happy customers to pipe up, which is the only reason I'm posting, if you have any questions feel free to PM me, I have no issues answering questions.
I hat to bring up old posts, so I'll end my rant here.
ciao

mod smart everyone
Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 AM

If these CAMs run rich normally, how do you think they would run on Stage 3, or would adding these cams and the 50 shot probably just shove it over the edge?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by thefictionwelive
If these CAMs run rich normally, how do you think they would run on Stage 3, or would adding these cams and the 50 shot probably just shove it over the edge?
A tune is needed, without a doubt... otherwise you aren't pulling the most HP possible out of ANY of your mods.

And if you haven't bought these cams yet... I have my set for sale w/ valve springs ($550 shipped for it all). I'm selling my car... so I am getting rid of them.