JBP 4-Pass Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disreagard #4... thanks JBP!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by rlinbatonrouge
How can you send coolant that way? I can't visualize how it will flow 4 times through 4 cores with a dual inlet. Duel inlet means flowing into two cores at once, right? I'm still lost.
Simple.....

You just use 8 Laminovas in a parallel inlet 4 pass series arrangement. That would double the area of the intercooler. Think outside of the box !

Pierre
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Here's how I see it...the single inlet snakes the fluid through 4 cores in series, hence the fluid spends a lot of time in the intercooler. The more time it spends in there, the hotter it gets and the less effective it is at cooling the air.

The dual inlet runs fluid through all 4 cores at the same time, but straight through, (like a 4 lane highway as opposed to a 1 lane twisty road) so the fluid is circulated faster through the intercooler, meaning it doesn't heat up as much, and because of that is more efficient at cooling the air.

I'm no expert on this, but it sounds like that's what he's trying to say. Some e-whack me if I'm way off on this.
Nope. He said TWO INLETS! You can't have 4 flows going in with two inlets. It goes in through core 1 and 4. From there is goes to the next core, which is still a serial path, and cores 2 and 3 as the come back to exit have an additional fitting for the coolant from the two flows to come together and come out that one fitting. Two flows, dual pass, two inlets, one outlet. It was done on the twincharged redline a while ago...
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM

I think he is saying we don't know what we're talking about when we say dual pass...

Last edited by Halfcent; 10-18-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
HMM.... considering I already have a dual pass setup and have been speaking to various people about it (including vandy and rlnbtrouge sp?)... I think we kinda have an idea how it works...
thank you
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
JBP
Banned

I will break down the properly posed questions and ignore the filler:

Whats the difference between the stock pump and jbp pump?

STOCK PUMP:
Stock Pump = Centrifugal, Butyl Elastomers affixing neoprene impeller radial design..
Stock pump flow, using metered coolant we measured to be 24.5L/min. Total Head, unknown, per m/h20.

JBP PUMP:
Centrifugal design, Bronze Impeller, Impervious to debris, damage. NPT connections and 39~47L/min flow. Pressure testing to be @ 0.15 - 0.3 bar implied. Total Head 2.87M/H20

Whats the difference between the stock intercooler and your intercooler?

STOCK SETUP:
Single Inlet/Outlet
Serial Run
Out to Aftercooler
Rubber Lines

JBP SETUP:
Dual Inlet/Single Outlet
Parallel Run
Out to Surge Tank (optional)
Out to Aftercooler
Bolts up to stock location
Braided #12AN Lines

FLOW PATTERN DIAGRAMS:

Stock flow description: I will assume that stock flow is understood by all and doesn't need further explaining.

JBP flow description: The top inlet handles the top two laminovas, The bottom inlet handles the bottom two laminovas. Output is channels into one fitting.

LAMINOVA CORES:

Stock Laminovas: I will assume that people who are "confused" have disassembled the stock laminovas, examined their material construction alleviating further description.

JBP Laminovas: GM Stock laminovas are fitted with a new layer of "material" (We CAN NOT mention) over the exposed air charge. There is also a 4 additional metered pressure orifices placed directly in the flow of coolant to maintain our desired coolant flow. Laminovas are also repositioned to achieve the pressure difference required by thermal dynamics to achieve better cooling.

Keep the proper questions coming, I'll be able to answer them tonight.

edit: pics were not coming up...
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 PM

ok, I for one, am not bashing... I just want some info here which hasn't been provided yet... I already run a similiar setup and I want to see if there is any difference... I want to see some logs thats all.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Civil post:

Why is a new pump necessary for this modification? The stock pump should not be working any harder than before. It would be moving the same amount of fluid, but the total pressure will be a tad lower due to running the cores in a different configuration. Additional pressure from the outlet notwithstanding.

I'm only guessing at the configuration, but i'm assuming they would be running in a half/serial half/parallel configuration. Two sets of cores in series running in parallel.

Also, I understand that you can't mention the material (trade secrets and all that), but you will still be limited by the heat transfer properties of the core materials, no matter how many layers of secret materials you put on.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by handyjoe
Also, I understand that you can't mention the material (trade secrets and all that), but you will still be limited by the heat transfer properties of the core materials, no matter how many layers of secret materials you put on.
Heat transfer is going to be dependent on core materials, sure, but when your surface area is limited, it can make sense to use a different material in the area to transfer the heat to the core. This is why some heatsinks are made of aluminum, but the surface that touches the component to be cooled is plated in copper. It's all about using the surface area as best as you can.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by shabodah
Heat transfer is going to be dependent on core materials, sure, but when your surface area is limited, it can make sense to use a different material in the area to transfer the heat to the core. This is why some heatsinks are made of aluminum, but the surface that touches the component to be cooled is plated in copper. It's all about using the surface area as best as you can.
See, what I don't get is that while the copper will heat up quickly in your scenario, it will still transfer at whatever conductive rate aluminum has. It will be helpful at first, until the copper gets heatsoaked waiting on the slower aluminum.

At least thats how my mind is wrapping around it. Ugh...I have to go and look over my heat transfer notes now.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:18 PM

See, what I don't get is that while the copper will heat up quickly in your scenario, it will still transfer at whatever conductive rate aluminum has. It will be helpful at first, until the copper gets heatsoaked waiting on the slower aluminum.

At least thats how my mind is wrapping around it. Ugh...I have to go and look over my heat transfer notes now.
Wouldn't be too hard to figure out, just two materials with different thermal conductivities. If I recall, to calculate the total conducitivity, isn't it just the sum of the inverse squared thermal conductivities?

Geez, this is at least the 2nd time that they have "released" a part without anything to back it up. Next time, they need to wait and have proof of gains, people aren't willing to shell out money for a part, just because they claim it works.

(That would be a constructive comment... )
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by automobiliben
Wouldn't be too hard to figure out, just two materials with different thermal conductivities. If I recall, to calculate the total conducitivity, isn't it just the inverse of the squares?
Thats easy for you to say
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM

It can certainly be a case of diminishing returns, sure. It depends too much on the specifics. You can also use the copper as the main material for transfering heat away from the component in question to a larger heatsink with much more mass. That is similiar to how our systems work in the first place, using water to channel heat to the heat exchanger and get it out of the intercooler/aftercooler as soon as possible. Similiar to how heat pipes work, but without the phase-change properties.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok easy question... WHEN!?!?!?!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
ok easy question... WHEN!?!?!?!
I got a better question for you....WHY??
Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

After all the BS in this thread, don't expect JBP to be answering questions any time soon.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
After all the BS in this thread, don't expect JBP to be answering questions any time soon.
x2...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 AM

Victory, honestly they have to have a thicker skin than that to be a vendor, there will be doubters always, if they want business they have to power thru and ignore the dead flesh, lol
Old 10-20-2006, 10:55 AM

Victory, honestly they have to have a thicker skin than that to be a vendor, there will be doubters always, if they want business they have to power thru and ignore the dead flesh, lol
ha... it's probably not that they don't have a thick skin, it's just that bitch fights aren't the most professional way to sell a product. So they present the product, then give technical details when asked about it in a proper manner. Don't expect them to answer to the many morons who blindly attack (or ask stupid questions) just about every product that comes out and then whine that no one makes aftermarket parts for them anymore...

Besides, getting into a fight on a forum is ALWAYS a losing situation for a company, whether they win or lose the fight...

Like all products, we will know its true value once someone buys it and tests it...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by DanteMustDie
ha... it's probably not that they don't have a thick skin, it's just that bitch fights aren't the most professional way to sell a product. So they present the product, then give technical details when asked about it in a proper manner. Don't expect them to answer to the many morons who blindly attack (or ask stupid questions) just about every product that comes out and then whine that no one makes aftermarket parts for them anymore...

Besides, getting into a fight on a forum is ALWAYS a losing situation for a company, whether they win or lose the fight...

Like all products, we will know its true value once someone buys it and tests it...
well we still have to know when we can ge em...I have an intercooler ready to go...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

well we still have to know when we can ge em...I have an intercooler ready to go...
You are better off phoning JBP and talking to Mev. Right now they are all going full bore on my engine and "wasting time" with forum clowns who weren't buying the product no matter what, is a waste of JBP's time. The people who want JBP's products will phone and get real time answers to their questions.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
JBP
Banned

We only have one pump. The only difficulty is attaining the pump. They are expensive and in short demand. All the other components are readily available.

At this point our lee-time for pump restocking, as given by the manufacturer is, 4-5 weeks. At that point, intercooler kits will be manufactured upon order.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM

so how is that motor going... I want some pics man.... I can't wait to see some vids of that thing in action
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 AM
JBP
Banned

You are better off phoning JBP and talking to Mev. Right now they are all going full bore on my engine and "wasting time" with forum clowns who weren't buying the product no matter what, is a waste of JBP's time. The people who want JBP's products will phone and get real time answers to their questions.
I run a very structured ship Rod. I allocate time in the morning and evening for Internet.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:18 AM

so if a intercooler is sent to you for a core it would be 4-5 weeks to deliver?

Quick Reply: JBP 4-Pass Intercooler