this is going to be expensive
Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... budget system;

- nylon return fuel line
- nylon rail to FRP line
- FPR
- Fuel pump
- tapped OEM fuel rail (send in stock core)

Price?
less than $400
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
JBP
Banned

Then most people are interested in a budget system... That basically gets the job done for under 400hp. So let the interested people show some more support and lets build the system piece by piece together. That way we can make the system the way you want it..

tapped OEM fuel rail (send in stock core)
not too big on this idea. After looking at the stock rail, It's big, but its tricky to tack an FPR on the end of the unit or on top. Hood closure issues come to mind and fuel line routing.

- nylon return fuel line
- nylon rail to FRP line
Cheap, gets the job done.

Eh, my opinion is thats just too much to spend on a fuel system conversion. Most of us that have done it on a car whether Cobalt or not can usually fab up something of decent quality for a third of the price, a tuning shop usually for half of that installed.
Usually the systems that we make are show pieces.. We like to use the best materials and quality parts. In this case, people aren't after that... They just want it to work, and work well. We can do that.. it just takes a little more prying of our pride.

What would be wrong with fabricating a kit with off the shelf GM ecotec return fuel rails
Nothing, thats a great idea. I'd just like to be able to give people some options. How about we twist everyone's arms in spending a little more for stainless lines as opposed to nylon?

walbro 255 or more that would actually fit in the stock fuel module?
There's a bunch of pumps that will fit into the stock fuel module. This means that people will be stuck at the current line diameter (3/8's I believe)... It can be done, reluctantly, but can be done. It will bring costs down considerably.

Anyone else care to add/remove components to the system?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
not too big on this idea. After looking at the stock rail, It's big, but its tricky to tack an FPR on the end of the unit or on top. Hood closure issues come to mind and fuel line routing.
Good point.
I assume you'd be looking into a small diameter flow though style... probably made of generic fuel rail stock.
I know Venom makes an aftermarket flow though fuel rail for the Ecotec... it might be worth looking at to get some ideas.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I am DEFINITELY interested in this. this is a part our cobalt community NEEDS. A return fuel system is a need. Thanks for doing this JBP.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 PM

i think most people, includung myself, just would like to get the job done. It doesnt have to be pretty, its under the hood, but would also like it to be reliable for a 300-400hp car...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
JBP
Banned

Ok guys, so here's the final cut. There's the problem of the return line. There's an issue that we don't want to be apart of, and thats the return line to the tank. Some how you're going to have to get that line into the tank to return fuel. This means, making a hole in the tank or the sender unit or whatever... This just screams "liability issue" to me.. It's not fool proof and we're not going to discuss how you should go about doing that.

So the system will consist of the following:

1) In Tank, Fuel Pump
2) Stock FPR Delete Kit
3) Modded Fuel Rail with Nylon attachment
4) Aftermarket AFPR
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
Ok guys, so here's the final cut. There's the problem of the return line. There's an issue that we don't want to be apart of, and thats the return line to the tank. Some how you're going to have to get that line into the tank to return fuel. This means, making a hole in the tank or the sender unit or whatever... This just screams "liability issue" to me.. It's not fool proof and we're not going to discuss how you should go about doing that.

So the system will consist of the following:

1) In Tank, Fuel Pump
2) Stock FPR Delete Kit
3) Modded Fuel Rail with Nylon attachment
4) Aftermarket AFPR
How about a 3/8" quick connect fitting plus fuel line to couple with the return line already installed between the fuel pump and tank?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by Witt
How about a 3/8" quick connect fitting plus fuel line to couple with the return line already installed between the fuel pump and tank?
Can you elaborate your idea. Not sure what return line you're talking about.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JBP
Can you elaborate your idea. Not sure what return line you're talking about.
There are two lines between the fuel module and the fuel filter, one is a supply and one is a return (marked on the top of the fuel module as "S" and "R" and also color coded at the quick connect fittings). As the fuel pump feeds an unregulated amount of fuel to the filter, the filter returns fuel to both the fuel rail and the tank. The return line from the filter to the tank is where the stock fuel regulator is located. By removing the stock fuel regulator you leave a return line from the filter to the tank that can be tapped as a rail return by extending this line from the filter to the engine bay. The filter is a stock "1 input, 2 output" type filter, one output going back to the tank's regulator and one to the fuel rail. This in any case needs to be replaced with an off the shelf GM "1 input, 1 output" type fuel filter which will leave you with the stock return line to do as you wish.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...turn+fuel+rail

Just for reference.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
In that link, he removes the stock return line. What I was saying was to retain that line and use a quick connect fitting (to couple to the blue female end you see in the pictures) to extend the return line to the engine bay.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
In that link, he removes the stock return line. What I was saying was to retain that line and use a quick connect fitting (to couple to the blue female end you see in the pictures) to extend the return line to the engine bay.
Either way works.
It's not like the quick connect fitting are really expensive... I think Summit sells them for about $5 each.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
JBP
Banned

sorry guys, a turn of events in a project has left internet time sparse. Ok, so if there's a return line from the filter to the tank, then realistically what does everyone need us for? All we'd do is match up the same parts that are available already in one convenient package and provide the instructions that are listed in the how-to... Seems to me that everyone can put together their own kit, no?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBP
sorry guys, a turn of events in a project has left internet time sparse. Ok, so if there's a return line from the filter to the tank, then realistically what does everyone need us for? All we'd do is match up the same parts that are available already in one convenient package and provide the instructions that are listed in the how-to... Seems to me that everyone can put together their own kit, no?
People want things like the SRT-4's have. They want a kit that comes with EVERYTHING needed to put a return fuel system to use. Instructions, parts, everything. So anyone who doesn't have a know how can just come to you all and get what they need.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
True but like said before, some of us don't have the mechanical sense to put something like this together and make it work. Naval weapon defense is my daily job, but formulating a plan for a return-fuel system is a little complex for me at first. I'm not trying to make something that will be outrageous and way more than I need. Most, including myself are looking to be in the 300-400hp range. You would know better than I how to set up the proper system.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
JBP
Banned

we'll make it if there's a demand for it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Give us an idea of what would be a package for a return system would look like.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 PM

subscribed and interested
Old 06-19-2008, 04:39 PM

Figured I'd drag a dead topic up since no one has said anything in 2 months. Whats the deal with this, did demand go away?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by infernica
Figured I'd drag a dead topic up since no one has said anything in 2 months. Whats the deal with this, did demand go away?
over the top performance already makes a kit......PM fast98 or lsjwannabe