Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, and IL

Moving the Cobalt to Chicago - Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving the Cobalt to Chicago - Help

Hey everyone.

Just seeing if I could get some information about (finally) moving my Cobalt up to Chicago with me. It's currently in Nebraska.

Since I'm currently living in the city, and working in Oak Park, I'm really getting tired of the 3 hour round trip commute via CTA. So if I bring up my Cobalt, it will go down to an hour, round trip. (I work 1:30-9:30pm, so traffic isn't an issue)

Ok. So I don't even know which thing needs to happen first... The car is currently in my parents name, and on my parents insurance.

Is this right?

I know I need to get my own insurance. (Any suggestions?)
I have to do something in Nebraska about getting the title into my name?
And then do something with the NE title here to get an IL title?
And then use the IL title and my own insurance to get it registered/plates?
And then use the registration to get my city sticker? I already looked, and I don't need a parking zone, just the city sticker, so that helps.

When do I need to get an IL drivers license in this chain?

So yeah. Help. I'm thinking of bringing my car up soonish, so info would be great.

Edit:
But another question. Right now I have all season tires on the stock SS/SC rims. I do have a set of dedicated snow tires and rims from when I was living in Iowa where they rarely plowed the roads and it was really miserable to drive.

I don't really plan on driving if the weather is bad anyways, since I can just take CTA to work. Will I be ok with the all-season tires? I'm guessing streets get cleared here in a more timely fashion.

I'm just concerned with the fact I live in an apartment. So a)where am I suppose to store the other set of tires? and b)where am I suppose to switch them out? The side of the street?

Last edited by Whitnith; 11-11-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:17 AM

Well, I would leave it in your 'rents name if they are cool with it. But, if thats not cool...

If you have the title in hand, have your parents sign it (DO NOT date it 'til right before you walk into the DMV) take it to the DMV (in Illinois), tell them you want it in your name, and they will hook you up with plates, registration, sticker, and then send the title off to be printed in your name, and as an Illinois title. Pretty simplified,really.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM

before you do anything you need to get a safety inspection on the car. Your local chevy dealership can do this. Trust me i am in the middle of doing the same thing right now
Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by slowbalt84
before you do anything you need to get a safety inspection on the car. Your local chevy dealership can do this. Trust me i am in the middle of doing the same thing right now

Where at? Before I move, or once I get it to Chicago?

I wouldn't trust my NE dealer to change the wiper blades, let alone do a safety inspection.

Any recommendations on a Chicago dealer?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:59 PM

You won't need a safety inspection in Illinois. Well, I never have, had a couple cars with out of state titles... one even had a out of state salvage title, and no inspection.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM

wait.. why do you have to even transfer everything to il? why cant you just drive it with the out of state plates? are you planning to permanently keep it here?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ddsscobalt
wait.. why do you have to even transfer everything to il? why cant you just drive it with the out of state plates? are you planning to permanently keep it here?
Yep. I don't plan on moving any time soon. Lease is through July, and have no plans of leaving after that.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM

You should have had an IL license within i believe it is 14 days after you established residency in the state. for everthing else go to the secretary of states office and they can assist you on the other matters
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by SSsteve
You should have had an IL license within i believe it is 14 days after you established residency in the state. for everthing else go to the secretary of states office and they can assist you on the other matters
WOW...... your still alive on here and yes this is correct
Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM

keep it in you parents name
Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

keep everything in your parents name. personally i would just drive the car with the ne plates on it. if you want to switch to your own insurance i would go with state farm or country companies.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Ok.

So I think I have everything figured out and ready to go. My parents are driving the car up next week. So excited.

But another question. Right now I have all season tires on the stock SS/SC rims. I do have a set of dedicated snow tires and rims from when I was living in Iowa where they rarely plowed the roads and it was really miserable to drive.

I don't really plan on driving if the weather is bad anyways, since I can just take CTA to work. Will I be ok with the all-season tires? I'm guessing streets get cleared here in a more timely fashion.

I'm just concerned with the fact I live in an apartment. So a)where am I suppose to store the other set of tires? and b)where am I suppose to switch them out? The side of the street?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Imo u should be ok on all seasons
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Whitnith
Ok.

So I think I have everything figured out and ready to go. My parents are driving the car up next week. So excited.

umm just wanna for warn you. if you drive this thing in the snow up here with mods done to the car you will barely get traction. i know cause i did it last year when my dd was down. u should try and come to the car meet thats going down this friday and meet some fellow cobalt owners

Last edited by LOUD SS/SC; 11-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by LOUD SS/SC
umm just wanna for warn you. if you drive this thing in the snow up here with mods done to the car you will barely get traction. i know cause i did it last year when my dd was down. u should try and come to the car meet thats going down this friday and meet some fellow cobalt owners
Mods? None. Well, unless the pretty green lights I have under the seats add HP, which I'm pretty sure they don't.

So it sounds like I'll be ok on all-seasons.

Good.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 AM

Mods? None. Well, unless the pretty green lights I have under the seats add HP, which I'm pretty sure they don't.

So it sounds like I'll be ok on all-seasons.

Good.
wow...... girl got jokes???
Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Ok.

Ummmm not in chicago ahahah they just made a load of cuts from their budget. so there will be less trucks out.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 AM

i dont currently live in chicago sad face. but i am from chicago and i live and bleed chicago.

you dont have to ever change your license unless its expired and you cant go home to get it renewed and they wont allow you to renew thru the mail. you dont have to get IL plates either unless the same applies.

i had my insurance in my moms name for a long time because as a home owner she got me full coverage way cheaper than i could have gotten it on my own and both of our names were on it. if your parents are cool with it id leave everything as is and just ensure your name is on the insurance cards visible showing you as a driver of the vehicle.

i.e. my cards from statefarm said Eric Taylor & Shirley Taylor. just like that.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSsteve
Ummmm not in chicago ahahah they just made a load of cuts from their budget. so there will be less trucks out.
Eh, I'm a half block away from the Drive, which I'm guessing gets cleared pretty high on the list. And then I take the Eisenhower to work, then I work two blocks away from it.

And honestly? If it's that bad I'll take the el.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Well, the car is registered in IL.

Was pretty easy.

Got my own insurance. $1400/year. Not bad.

My IL title will be coming in the mail in a few days, and I already have IL plates.

Now I'm getting concerned about my windows. I bought the car (from the dealer) with tinted windows in Nebraska. Which are apparently illegal in Chicago? I have no idea what % they are, since I didn't tint them...

Help!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Well, the car is registered in IL.

Was pretty easy.

Got my own insurance. $1400/year. Not bad.

My IL title will be coming in the mail in a few days, and I already have IL plates.

Now I'm getting concerned about my windows. I bought the car (from the dealer) with tinted windows in Nebraska. Which are apparently illegal in Chicago? I have no idea what % they are, since I didn't tint them...

Help!
check the illinois tint law. they are legal as of 10/30/09 now here but only to a certain percent. i think its 50% in back and 35% in front
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 AM

You won't need a safety inspection in IL unless you drive a truck, cars don't get inspected for safety, just emissions. You can leave the title, registration and insurance in your parents name back home, none of that will be an issuse until those things expire. That's assuming NE won't let you renew via the mail. Same holds true for your DL. As for the tires, all seasons will be fine, just slow down and remember EVERYONE in this town yaks away on the cell all day even in a blizzard, so watch out for soccer moms in the SUV. I use a summer nitto and winter v rated yokahomas and it works great for me. I get my tires rotated out a Discount tire for free each season since I bought the tires from them. About finding a good shop, AMS (American Motorsports) is in west chicago and have worked on my car and done a nice job on it, no complaints. I wouldn't send you there for an oil change but if you are upgrading the motor or suspension they be straight with you, and the dyno guy there is amazing. The Chevy dealer in greylake is good for dealer type services and the parts guy Tom there runs the www.crateenginedepot.com site for gm perfomance division. I got great prices on my exhaust and stage 2 kits from him. Great being about 250 bucks less than summit racing, and he had a tuned exhaust manifold that summit never even heard of. Hope that helps you out some.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 AM

Winter tires really do help. i picked up a set of winter momos and winter tires from the discount tire in naperville for 1000 two years ago and as the other person mentioned they swap the summer and winter and rotate for free. I saw a dramatic improvement in the snow as my original tires where summer performance tires. Chicago winters can be brutal and the road clearing situation is spotty other than the major highways. I have stage II with borla and the upgraded manifold and while i understand the issue with taking off, i usually take off in second in the winter anyway
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

winter tires make all the difference. i use bridgestone lm60rft's(run flat tires). its a harsher ride but i think they are at the top of winter tires even with the release of the ws60. as for a shop.... ams is great but honestly unless your willing to spend some serious cash they arent going to waste thier time on you. i have an lnf cobalt that i wanted them to do some custom parts(exhaust charge pipes turbo kit etc) on and they showed me the door. i honestly should have just talked to martin(owner) instead of wasting my time with one of there sales people. i work for nos too keep in mind.....we sponsor all their drag and autocross cars. performance autowerks would honestly probabll help you out the most of any shop in this area. crate engine depot in greys lake or dick wickstrom(ill give you the mechanics name hes a master tech) in roselle. also idk if your interested in a club but i have started an ecotec club. we have around 30 members so far. its open to all cobalts, cavaliers, g5,g6, solstice, sky, hhr and anything with an ecotec in it.