Mid Central NE, KS, IA, MO, and IL

pink HIDS illlegal in illinois...........think not

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down pink HIDS illlegal in illinois...........think not

so i got pulled over at about 8:15pm by westmont on my way home from work, bank depoist in hand. I ask politely if there is a problem. I was told there was definitely a problem. the officer then informed me that the red light in my headlights was illegal by il law. i explain they are pink and not red and i was getting a ticket for it. i then ask what he means by illegal and he states you can only have white and amber in the housing. i then ask about the blue lights on bimmers and so forth and he states that those colored hids are legal. he then amends his previous statement whit the inclusion of hids. i point out i installed hids and he tells me thats not possible. he states that the lights are sealed gas bulbs and cannot be swapped out like that. i popped the hood and went to show him my lights and ballasts, explaining that i dont want a ticket for breaking a law i know i am abiding by. he then tells me not to bother and that i would receive a warning and that the "pink" is not legal by il law. so i get the warning and the code i was told i had violated. this is the code i violated here (625 5/12 - 201 b).

VEHICLES
(625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code.
(625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 Art. II heading)
ARTICLE II. LIGHTS AND LAMPS
(625 ILCS 5/12-201) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-201)
Sec. 12-201. When lighted lamps are required.
(a) When operated upon any highway in this State, every
motorcycle shall at all times exhibit at least one lighted
lamp, showing a white light visible for at least 500 feet in
the direction the motorcycle is proceeding. However, in lieu
of such lighted lamp, a motorcycle may be equipped with and
use a means of modulating the upper beam of the head lamp
between high and a lower brightness. No such head lamp shall
be modulated, except to otherwise comply with this Code,
during times when lighted lamps are required for other motor
vehicles.
(b) All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2
lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the
front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department
of Transportation requirements, showing white lights,
including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID)
lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period
from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or
other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield
wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light
or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on
the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000
feet. Parking lamps may be used in addition to but not in lieu
of such head lamps. Every motor vehicle, trailer, or
semi-trailer shall also exhibit at least 2 lighted lamps,
commonly known as tail lamps, which shall be mounted on the
left rear and right rear of the vehicle so as to throw a red
light visible for at least 500 feet in the reverse direction,
except that a truck tractor or road tractor manufactured
before January 1, 1968 and all motorcycles need be equipped
with only one such tail lamp.

so i'm a little puzzled here. the law does not in any way differentiate between colors with regard to hids. not cool dudes, not at all.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Technically you could be breaking the law on a couple counts. More specifically, Federal law from the Department of Transportation. It's technically illegal to install HID bulbs in reflector or projector housings not specifically designed to accept them. And if you run an aftermarket headlamp assembly that isn't DOT-approved you could be cited for that as well. So the first sentence under paragraph (b) of the law you quoted is what you're violating.

Next time you get stopped realize you are in the wrong and don't try to get too upset. Legally there isn't much you can do except play it cool like you did this time and hope the officer lets you off with a warning. If you try to "out-smart" or get an attitude because you don't agree with the law that will significantly increase the chance of getting a ticket.

I'm not sure what headlamps and HID bulb color temp you're running from the picture in your signature, but you may also want to reevaluate your setup. Make sure it's not blinding anyone and maybe switch to a slightly cooler color temp bulb.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the "blue" lamps on bmws are "close enough" to white. if u think about it, most older stock headlights actually are a little yellow. its a "close enough" kinda discretion.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 AM

yo man one of my other friends had a similar experience but with yellow headlight bulbs. if you had gotten a actual ticket you couldve went to court to fight it but i do know this that in this state that red green blue you cant not have. let me see where he got the info from spanky and ill let you know for sure bro.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:26 AM

technically any color resembling a police car or ambulance and what not is illegal.. even the yellow HID's if used as headlights are illegal, i thought it was only in california but i can see its pretty much everywhere...
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Banned

i don't care...its gay you have pink...unless you a chick lol
Old 10-09-2009, 04:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any light other than OEM is technically illegal in most states
Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 AM

i'm not going off technicalities here. i'm looking for a direct interpretation and from how that reads it's not fuzzy as all get out.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

pink eh?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM

man bro that sucks ive been getting pulled over for the dumnest **** recently. In the last week i got pulled over twice so far.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
pics of said lights
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM

bet ya didnt know this... anything that is not stock or oem replacement is illegal in IL. its stupid.
i wish they would start pullin over these retarded ppl in civics and neons with 4 ft high wings..

i was pulled over so many times for having the smallest exhaust leak ever.. after all.. i modified the exhaust. according to the couple state cops im friends with they look for...

HID's
exhaust mods
exterior mods (hoods bumpers spoilers)

my most resent pull over was for the s/c whine........ you dont even know how hard it was to explain that one to the cop...
Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Black SS 07
bet ya didnt know this... anything that is not stock or oem replacement is illegal in IL. its stupid.
i wish they would start pullin over these retarded ppl in civics and neons with 4 ft high wings..

i was pulled over so many times for having the smallest exhaust leak ever.. after all.. i modified the exhaust. according to the couple state cops im friends with they look for...

HID's
exhaust mods
exterior mods (hoods bumpers spoilers)

my most resent pull over was for the s/c whine........ you dont even know how hard it was to explain that one to the cop...
i got pulled over because my exhaust was to loud and the thing is i had the silencer on i was like WTF.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
pics of said lights
no need for pics. you can see the pick from a mile away. theres no mistaking them for any other color. spanky, my reccomondation is the you get yourself some 6500K bulbs and call it a day. this state is broke and they are looking for money. he gave you a warning, you lucked out. noiw if a cop is dicking around and just running plates, runs yours and sees you had a warning for it theres no doubt youll have a ticket.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM

He should have ticketed you for a "Bad Idea", I mean, Pink.... cmon bro... You must wear those white chick shades too... I came out of the gas station this morning to see a cop looking at the front of my car and wondering if it came stock with the Brembos.... lol

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 10-09-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DjJoeski87
no need for pics. you can see the pick from a mile away. theres no mistaking them for any other color. spanky, my reccomondation is the you get yourself some 6500K bulbs and call it a day. this state is broke and they are looking for money. he gave you a warning, you lucked out. noiw if a cop is dicking around and just running plates, runs yours and sees you had a warning for it theres no doubt youll have a ticket.
and i still want to see it as I havnt before.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 AM

i know they're broke joe and i'm looking into this as it'll be one less reason for these ass hats to screw with me. they love me out there.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
i'm not going off technicalities here. i'm looking for a direct interpretation and from how that reads it's not fuzzy as all get out.
You still didn't mention what headlamp assembly is on the car. Whether stock or one of the aftermarket, you're still "technically" violating federal law that Illinois applies to lighting for your state. Unless you're running an aftermarket headlamp assembly that the manufacturer has implicitly tested and certified the whole assembly has met DOT standards for use with those HID bulbs, you're illegal. Period.

You can't take a stock housing or an aftermarket housing that's approved for conventional filament bulbs and put a HID bulb in them. It will not meet federal standards. If you want to delve into it do a search on FMVSS 108. That's the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that covers what's legal and what's not for vehicle lighting. According to what you already posted that's what your state (as well as all others as far as I know) apply as their base lighting laws.

Since the Cobalt never came with HIDs and I know of no aftermarket headlamp assemblies that have been fully certified and actually meet those standards, you're illegal, breaking the law, or whatever you'd like to call that.

I know this might be hard to accept but there's good reason for these laws. Headlamp glare has caused plenty of accidents. And while it may not bother you, you agree to share the road with others and it can affect your fellow drivers. That's why everyone has to comply with the law.

If you can accept that you're breaking the law by just having the HIDs on this particular car (because it's pretty clear cut), and you've got them adjusted where you can get okay light output that's well controlled then I'd say switch to a cooler color temp bulb in the "normal" OEM HID range and give yourself one less thing to worry about.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 PM

i got custom yellow HID's in stock housings, but whats cool is that when you look at my headlights when im coming at you, they look pretty much white, but they displace a very vivid yellow light on the ground while maintaining a white looking light in the bulb.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Pink is just lightish red.

(I hope somebody gets the reference.)
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuda009
Pink is just lightish red.

(I hope somebody gets the reference.)
Private Donut reporting for duty sir.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyp2010
Private Donut reporting for duty sir.
I want you to get me some blinker fluid and elbow grease.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM

All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2
lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the
front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department
of Transportation requirements

once you installed the HIDs you made your head lights no longer meet US DOT requirements. it's plain as day right there. quit acting like it's some kinda technicality. you don't have stock bulbs you're not meeting the requirement.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 AM

i just read something that NO aftermarket HID setups are DOT legal....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
as long as youre lights are not the color of an emergency vehicle you could fight it. I got pulled over for my green halos and got the ticket dropped, state trooper said the same bs white and amber in the headlights yadda yadda yadda

Quick Reply: pink HIDS illlegal in illinois...........think not