Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, and VA

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new brakes

anyone know of good brakes... i may just stick with finding the stock brake pads.. just let me know haha.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM

R1 concepts has some good stuff.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM

just put some drilled/slotted rotors and hawk hps pads on my car. love it so far.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle_06_SS
just put some drilled/slotted rotors and hawk hps pads on my car. love it so far.
This is an if, if you ask me.

What're your plans? AutoX? Road Race? Just for show?

If the first 2, don't get drilled.

If the last, then sure. Drilled and slotted.

Drilled are more for show. Not very good for performance, since they run the risk of cracking at high heat.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

I have R1 Concept Rotors and Hawk pads on mine. They work great. I also put them on my wifes Malibu, and they work good there too. Power Slot rotors are good to, if they make them for your car. The NAPA Permium ones are nice also. At the time for mine, they didn't, so I bought R1 Conecpts.

Also, the Hawk pads are made in Medina!!!!! Most people do not know that little fact. They are a bit pricey, but they do a great job and last. I bought all of the pads from JasonAudio (spelling???) on here, they are a vendor.

I had a set of Hawk pads on my truck and they lasted for about 100,000 miles. What killed them was pulling my old car to Conn. when I lived there.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lifter
This is an if, if you ask me.

What're your plans? AutoX? Road Race? Just for show?

If the first 2, don't get drilled.

If the last, then sure. Drilled and slotted.

Drilled are more for show. Not very good for performance, since they run the risk of cracking at high heat.
no no and no. I know drilled rotors are only for show, the only way i'd prefer run drilled is if the rotors were cast that way.

I paid $40 for all 4 rotors (Not $40 each, $40 total) they were used for a few hundred miles then taken off because the car was totaled). I hate drilled rotors and would not have them if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on these. I needed new brakes, and I knew I was getting good brake pads. I was going to get blank discs, maybe slotted if I found some cheap but then came across these so I grabbed them.

I love the way the brakes feel on my car now, but I would credit the better brake response/feel to the fact that my rotors aren't grooved and beyond the minimum thickness and that I got good brake pads. I would have probably seen the same results with blank rotors.

I recommend slotted rotors with good brake pads for a good mix between street/track use.

edited for clarity.

Last edited by Kyle_06_SS; 11-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Wait....that doesn't make any sense. I just advised him again getting drilled. It causes uneven pad wear, and increases chance of cracking.

I said if he wants to show it off and doesn't plan on doing anything competitively, then to get drilled/slotted.

Other than that, slotted is the way to go. IMO. I'm going to find a nice write up on the different between the 2 for you.

::Edit::

Long read, but the guys at NASIOC (in the technical threads at least) really know their **** when it comes to automotives.
http://forums.nasioc.org/forums/show....php?t=1925474

Also;
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...85&postcount=4
Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Wait....that doesn't make any sense. I just advised him again getting drilled. It causes uneven pad wear, and increases chance of cracking.

I said if he wants to show it off and doesn't plan on doing anything competitively, then to get drilled/slotted.

Other than that, slotted is the way to go. IMO. I'm going to find a nice write up on the different between the 2 for you.

::Edit::

Long read, but the guys at NASIOC (in the technical threads at least) really know their **** when it comes to automotives.
X-drilled vs Slotted vs Plain OEM Rotors - NASIOC

Also;
NASIOC - View Single Post - The OFFICIAL Brake Upgrade / Big Brake Kit FAQ !
I think you're missing what I'm saying. I don't need you to explain the differences for me, I'm well aware of the drawbacks to drilled rotors (unless the rotors are cast with the holes in them, in which case they aren't really "drilled" then).

I'm saying that when I got laid off the fact that I needed new brakes didn't change. In my own situation, I found a full set of d/s rotors for less than a set of blanks for just the front cost, it made more sense to get the d/s rotors in my case. I also said that I would have preferred slotted rotors or even blanks, but for the price I couldn't beat the rotors I got.

The OP asked if we knew of any good brakes and I was just relaying my own personal experience is all. Not trying to sway him to buy drilled rotors.

I would advise the OP to get slotted rotors and a good set of brake pads. I DO NOT advise getting drilled rotors even if it's "just for show". If the OP wants rotors that look neat, dimpled and slotted rotors are a good alternative to drilled/slotted that don't run the risk of cracking.

Last edited by Kyle_06_SS; 11-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 PM

/thread. Don't need to get hostile bro'. Completely unnecessary, especially since your post in response wasn't clear. No attitude is needed.

Besides, my opinion wasn't for you. It was for Drew to read and understand.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM

/thread. Don't need to get hostile bro'. Completely unnecessary, especially since your post in response wasn't clear. No attitude is needed.

Besides, my opinion wasn't for you. It was for Drew to read and understand.
I'm not being hostile, just trying to explain why I meant (being sincere, not a smartass). I'm not that guy that comes in to threads to stir **** up. My post was unclear and I tried to reconcile that, I feel that's the right thing to do. Sorry if it came off as hostile, text doesn't convey vocal tone and sometimes that leads to misunderstandings.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM

no more anger! ill look into all of the brakes listed, im open to read any and all comments about brakes... i just need to get some decent ones
Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM

i just read the info Lifter left , and i think im just going to stick with stock rotors. get them resurfaced, and juust look into some better pads.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Lifter an I are cool, no worries, sorry for the confusion

Just make sure the stock rotors aren't too thin to have them turned (IIRC the minimum thickness is cast into the inside of the rotor hat, at least on the rears). Most places will tell you if they are too thin, and if so you should be able to get blanks pretty cheap. Good brake pads makes a world of difference. Let us know what you end up going with and how they work out!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 AM

sure, ill prolly go to the NTB they seem to be legit across the street... or sears where mike seems to take his balt...
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 PM

The Goodyear store in Medina does nice work. They have worked on my truck, my wife's car and the Cobalt will be there tomorrow getting the Blizzaks installed.

Also, if you are limited on funds, have you done brakes before? This can save you a ton if you can do them yourself or get someone that you know to help you. They are not hard to do, if you have the correct tools.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by black67
The Goodyear store in Medina does nice work. They have worked on my truck, my wife's car and the Cobalt will be there tomorrow getting the Blizzaks installed.

Also, if you are limited on funds, have you done brakes before? This can save you a ton if you can do them yourself or get someone that you know to help you. They are not hard to do, if you have the correct tools.
FTW
Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 AM

The Blizzaks are great. This will be the second season with them, and they look like new. They will now have their own rims, as I dropped everything off today. I have just been pushing the Conti's a bit as this weather has been so great this fall. They say it will start to cool down next week, so I had a chance to get them on.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for brakes see if you know anyonr that works at welman friction products. they make hawk pads their in medina they can get you pads for like 10.00.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Yep, Wellman is on Lake Road. My pads were shipped from there. They went to the UPS depot then to my house, and I live 3 miles from them!!!! I asked if I could setup a way for me to pick them up, but that was a no go.

Drew, did you get anything done yet for your brakes?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 AM

Yep, Wellman is on Lake Road. My pads were shipped from there. They went to the UPS depot then to my house, and I live 3 miles from them!!!! I asked if I could setup a way for me to pick them up, but that was a no go.

Drew, did you get anything done yet for your brakes?
i have nt yet.skewl, black ops, metroid prime and work have kept me busy... and my breaks are getting squeeeeaky
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 PM

Drew,

The longer that the brakes sing that love song to you, the more you have to spend on the diamond ring, oh, I mean work to get it fixed.

Are the fronts going only or are the rear ones acting up too?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM

Drew,

The longer that the brakes sing that love song to you, the more you have to spend on the diamond ring, oh, I mean work to get it fixed.

Are the fronts going only or are the rear ones acting up too?
i cant really tell. i think i hear the rear left squeak, but of course the rotors have been needing resurfaced.... maybe ill look into getting it looked at tomrrow, and definitely have to get it done before christmas
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM

welman? anyone want to cut me a deal there? i had black 67 look at my rotors ( all we could do on short notice) and he said hed look up for some front pads...seeing as how hawk only makes rears?.....
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Are the 2.4 SS front brakes the same as the 2.0 SS fronts? I put Hawk pads on the front and rear on my car.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 AM

Nope, the Sports are different. I am not sure how different, but they are. Hawk does not make any per their website and some of their online vendors. Napa, AutoZone and Advance all say they have front pads for it though. I could not find a cross referenced car to these fronts.

Now, Hawk makes rear pads for this car. The rear brakes look like the same from the 07 SS and Malibu's. The 07 SS and 07 Malibu are the same, I know that for a fact.

The rotors looked decent, so a light turning would work for now. The only thing that I am worried about was the good pads that these places have could hurt the old rotors fast.

Quick Reply: new brakes