Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, and VA

Who's changed their car

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Ion
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's changed their car

Hey all. Its getting about time for the fall meets, so I'm curious. Who all has either replaced or upgraded their current ride? My Ion became an electrical nightmare, so I bought a 2004 Mazda 6S 3.0L V6. Its definitely a different feel from the Ion, which was a torquey monster. The 6S is butter smooth to drive, corners so much better, but just doesn't have the oomph the Ion had under acceleration. Anyway, here are my specs as of today.

2004 Mazda 6S 3.0L V6
Duratec 30
5-speed
Injen CAI
Cat-Back Straight Pipes
Racing Beat Front and Rear Sway Bars
MS6 Shocks and Springs (planning on coilovers soon)
O2 Simulators
Sniper Ignition Coils
MSDS Header
Apexcone HIDs: 6000K Low/8000K Fog

I also debadged it, repainted the back emblem, am ordering a badgeless grill, am running a dump at the Y pipe until my black tips arrive for the new piping. Only running 2-1/4" piping, but the exhaust flows great once it clears the junk OEM header/precat combo, which is why I replaced it. It is still using the longass OEM shifter, but I'll switch to TWM one of these months. Once I save 700, there is guy who will mail me a tuner for my car. Right now, I'm still running a bit rich judging by the carbon deposits (they are notoriously richly tuned), so that will free up some more power and remove the CEL from the intake and lack of precats on the new header. It is LOUD. It drones a bit, so I may go with mufflers to stop the drone a bit, but it is fun to pull up to a Civvy and scare him with some Mazda Muscle. My license plate isn't in, but it says "1GOZOOM" and I ordered the Zoom-Zoom
decal to go above my plates.

That's my car in a nutshell. Let me hear about yours. I'll post some pictures for everyone's enjoyment.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry. I suck at uploading pics, and this forum is hard to use for photos.

Last edited by Ion; 08-18-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Might be changing jobs in the near future if I do I was thinking 335i but after some research am not sure if the panty drop factor is worth the headaches, sooo if I do get this job...Evo X
Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Ion
Banned

Nice. I love the Evo X, though its a lot like mine in that there is no torque. Its famous for turbo lag as well. I'm privy to the STi myself, just for the looks. Assuming you are buying new, another good car to look at in that upper 30k range is the new 1 series M car. the BMW 1-series is the size of the Balt, but has a V6 good for 300 and the 1M is going to have twinturbo V6 and awd for around 35k. Well worth the money imo for the best driver's car line under 50 grand.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Ion
Banned

Wow. no one has changed anything? Bleh
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've thought about getting rid of the Cobalt for the 6 I like the looks, and some times I wish I had a 4 door.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Ion
Banned

Originally Posted by cmatthewb101
I've thought about getting rid of the Cobalt for the 6 I like the looks, and some times I wish I had a 4 door.
It outhandles the Balt, but doesn't feel like it has the power. The new 3.8 in the 09-10 model is a ton better. The equipment is great, the seats are alright, but not as bolstered as the SS seats. The wheel is leather wrapped. The gearshift is a long throw, but notchy and easy to find a gear with. The 6 speed in the new cars may be better. I'm not sure. I haven't broken it away one time yet and I try hard. The tires are near replacing and yet it stays planted the whole time. It has a lot to do with the engine being placed lower and farther back in the engine compartment. It sits right over the front wheels. Like the Miata, this car is a curvy road's wet dream. Not as fun as the rwd Miata, but a blast t drive fast and makes me feel like a much better driver.

I would love to have a RENESIS in the 6 though. If this engine blows in the next few years, Its getting one of four possible replacements. A Wankel turbo (rotary motors are wicked), the new 3.8 from Mazda (direct swap), Yamaha SHO V8 (pretty easy swap), or the 4.6L V8 from a Lincoln (its the Mustang GT engine designed for fwd)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ion
It outhandles the Balt, but doesn't feel like it has the power. The new 3.8 in the 09-10 model is a ton better. The equipment is great, the seats are alright, but not as bolstered as the SS seats. The wheel is leather wrapped. The gearshift is a long throw, but notchy and easy to find a gear with. The 6 speed in the new cars may be better. I'm not sure. I haven't broken it away one time yet and I try hard. The tires are near replacing and yet it stays planted the whole time. It has a lot to do with the engine being placed lower and farther back in the engine compartment. It sits right over the front wheels. Like the Miata, this car is a curvy road's wet dream. Not as fun as the rwd Miata, but a blast t drive fast and makes me feel like a much better driver.

I would love to have a RENESIS in the 6 though. If this engine blows in the next few years, Its getting one of four possible replacements. A Wankel turbo (rotary motors are wicked), the new 3.8 from Mazda (direct swap), Yamaha SHO V8 (pretty easy swap), or the 4.6L V8 from a Lincoln (its the Mustang GT engine designed for fwd)
Have you REALLY driven one? Hard?
No way in HELL they outhandle the Cobalt SS. The clutch feels strange, almost as though there is something wrong with it, like its bent, or mushy. The 2.3L is terrible for power, the larger displacement 6 cyl I would imagine is fuuun.

My best friend has a 6. He always pushes it when we ride together along country roads. I always pull on him in every possible way. He's a great driver as well, he really understands the concepts and hopes to AutoX someday soon. I'm quite a pilot myself, though I would never claim to be the best. I can make a clutch last 167,000 miles, does that count? lol
Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM

my mom has a 03 mazda 6, its kinda quick for what it is in the * stick shift* mode.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Hows the cutoff on that blue 6 with HIDs?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Ion
Banned

Originally Posted by Nacademus
Have REALLY you driven one?
No way in HELL they outhandle the Cobalt SS. The clutch feels strange, almost as though there is something wrong with it, like its bent, or mushy. The 2.3L is terrible for power, the larger displacement 6 cyl I would imagine is fuuun.

My best friend has a 6. He always pushes it when we ride together along country roads. I always pull on him in every possible way. He's a great driver as well, he really understands the concepts and hopes to AutoX someday soon. I'm quite a pilot myself, though I would never claim to be the best. I can make a clutch last 167,000 miles, does that count? lol
I have driven both the new 6S (V6) and the SS. Mazda wins in the handling dept hands down, but the CObalt has a better engine and a much better transmission. The 2.3L is an NA 4banger. What do you expect? My clutch is fine, though it doesn't like to race. When I get off the clutch after a hard pull and hit the next gear, I hear belt squeal from the trans area. I haven't looked at it yet, but from what i hear, its just a dry belt that needs some spray.

Originally Posted by Nacademus
Hows the cutoff on that blue 6 with HIDs?
I haven't had time to aim them yet, so they suck right now. I'll aim them tonight though. Even unaimed, they are loads better than the stockers, and night and day different from the Ion, which has the superwhite Sylvanias.

Last edited by Ion; 08-19-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM

you should of bought a redline if you loved you 2.4 ion3, this car has been nothing but a pleasure to own since i drove it off the lot new in the 5 years ive had it, 4 doors is nice sometimes to have a little more room but congrats on the new car looks pretty clean, my friend had a speed 6 and didnt like it too much but everyone has their own preferences
Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Ion
Banned

Originally Posted by jdunn622
you should of bought a redline if you loved you 2.4 ion3, this car has been nothing but a pleasure to own since i drove it off the lot new in the 5 years ive had it, 4 doors is nice sometimes to have a little more room but congrats on the new car looks pretty clean, my friend had a speed 6 and didnt like it too much but everyone has their own preferences
Next car will be a Z car after the 6. I love the NISMO-Z. But, after all the trouble I had with the 2.4, I wanted out of the Ecotecs. GM's build quality is awful, be it interiors, exteriors, or wiring. That thing has been a nightmare from day 1. Its in the shop right now, and the guy called to say it runs fine for him, yet I get it and the next day I swear it'll go into LIMP mode again. Its saying the clutch, throttle, and all the sensors are fried, when they were replaced by me once already. Replaced the clutch pedal sensors, TB and sensors, accel pedal position sensor, etc etc. The car is also a nightmare to work on. I loved it when it ran well, but it never ran well enough to love.

I was driving around earlier and wondered why I felt down on power when I was at 4k-6400 rpms in the 6S. I popped the hood and 3 of my bolts on my intake manifold were dangling. I had no pressure. lol. It sounded like I had a turbo wastegate on it under WOT. Stupid thing has to come off to access the other bank of cylinders and plugs. Direct-injection V6 ftl.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to a 04 Cobra. Needs more powa!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Ion
Banned

Is that still a 4.6L? Understandable.