New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Greetings/Need help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Greetings/Need help?

Greetings Everyone. My Name's Crow and I bought a used '07 Cobalt SS Supercharged (Ultra Sliver color) back in June this year and am quite happy with it. I've wanted a Cobalt SS since I first laid my eyes on it back in 2005-2006. I like the subcompact style and it's over all looks and performance isn't too bad either. I previously drove a few jeeps before I bought this and can say I enjoy driving this car more than I did my jeeps lol I'm hoping to learn more about this car and plan to keep it for a long time to come since I worked hard to get this.

Sadly though, it's been acting weird lately. and by weird, it sounds different from when I first bought it. On its worst days, it sounds kind of like a diesel engine and is loud as hell. Other days, its not as annoying but still hear clearly. It only happens while in Neutral and at Idle. There's also no check engine light on. I give it gas, it (the noise) disappears. I originally thought it was the Tensioner pulley but after taking it to a mechanic, he believes (but isn't certain) its the bearing on my Camshaft Position sensor Housing. Doing some searching on the forums (this page here), I'm thinking its' timing may be off and since the Housing is about a $300 replacement, I'm wondering if someone can give me some advice on a plan of attack for troubleshooting this. I'm not very knowledgeable about cars but finally have one of the cars I've wanted for a long time, I'm super eager to learn more about the car. i do have some audio/videos with the noise, so if you want them posted, let me know. All help is appreciated and nice meeting you all
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Yes post the video(s) please.