New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

New to the Cobalt world lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to the Cobalt world lol

Hello guys my name is Tops, My son killed his 2007 Cobalt SS supercharged at a 191,520 mile and give it to me. Saying dad you put the first175 miles on this it. You said loved the lil car now it your. Kids right hahaha . He got it brand new in 06 with 26 miles on it. And didn't know how to drive a stick (lol). So I drove it home home for him. I rebuild the engine and LOVE the lil CHEVY. Question guys can this lil car be twincharged??? Thanks in advance for any info:
Tops
www.kingoftops.com

Last edited by Hot Cobalt1; 11-19-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome.
Yo answer your question it is possible to twin charge if you find parts from the twin charge kits for sale used at this point. That being said it's not really benifitial to do it. A properly setup turbo kit or a tvs 1320supercharger upgrade will serve youfsr better. Traction is already an issue with these cars and twin charging pretty much kills any chance of properly using the power. You can have the same top end power with just a turbo kit and with they way they build boost and the torque curve actually gives you a chance at traction.

Twin charged kits are also notoriously hard to tune for.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
Welcome.
Yo answer your question it is possible to twin charge if you find parts from the twin charge kits for sale used at this point. That being said it's not really benifitial to do it. A properly setup turbo kit or a tvs 1320supercharger upgrade will serve youfsr better. Traction is already an issue with these cars and twin charging pretty much kills any chance of properly using the power. You can have the same top end power with just a turbo kit and with they way they build boost and the torque curve actually gives you a chance at traction.

Twin charged kits are also notoriously hard to tune for.
Thanks for the info: Young man if I just add a turbo kit. Would be better then the 1320 upgrade and cost less or not?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Cobalt1
Thanks for the info: Young man if I just add a turbo kit. Would be better then the 1320 upgrade and cost less or not?
I think cost is closely comparable because the TVS is an expensive supercharger. Turbo will make more power but as you are already set up for supercharger it is an easier swap IMO.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
YEah it would really depend on your power goals. Tvs is more expensive to make big power with. But if your looking for 350whp or so it's a great option. If your wanting to breach 400whp turbo is definitely your friend as doing so with a tvs is a pretty heavy build.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by slapbetcommissioner
YEah it would really depend on your power goals. Tvs is more expensive to make big power with. But if your looking for 350whp or so it's a great option. If your wanting to breach 400whp turbo is definitely your friend as doing so with a tvs is a pretty heavy build.
Thanks guys I'm thinking that TVS is the to go for me as 350whp would be perfect for this old man lol.I read on the install that is can be a bit tricky to install Tvs because of it size? Is that true?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Cobalt1
Thanks guys I'm thinking that TVS is the to go for me as 350whp would be perfect for this old man lol.I read on the install that is can be a bit tricky to install Tvs because of it size? Is that true?
The front two socket head bolts can make you cuss a bit trying to get them on but you can mitigate that issue by installing it with your bumper and radiator out of the way or I like to use socket head bolts with knurling around the circumference of the head so I can thread the bolts in most of the way with my fingers and then tighten them up with an allen wrench that I cut down so it would slide into the bolt easier. While it can be less than enjoyable I don't think it is a big enough deal to be a deciding factor in which route you take. You also may have been reading on the TVS 1900 instead of the 1320 TVS we are referring to.

Are you starting with a completely stock car? If so swapping in the supercharger is as simple as bolting it on and throwing in some different injectors on to keep up with the higher fuel demand. It's also is typically recommended to swap the end plate out on intake manifold to dual pass end plate for better cooling. And I always recommend option B because I think bleeding the air out of the system is hard enough especially without Option B. Depending on what pulley you end up running you may also need to get either an adjustable belt tensioner from ZZP, and oversized tensioner pulley, or a stage 2 shorter belt. You will also need a tune and a wideband sensor/gauge to keep an eye on and confirm your fueling. Oh yeah an step colder spark plugs.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
The front two socket head bolts can make you cuss a bit trying to get them on but you can mitigate that issue by installing it with your bumper and radiator out of the way or I like to use socket head bolts with knurling around the circumference of the head so I can thread the bolts in most of the way with my fingers and then tighten them up with an allen wrench that I cut down so it would slide into the bolt easier. While it can be less than enjoyable I don't think it is a big enough deal to be a deciding factor in which route you take. You also may have been reading on the TVS 1900 instead of the 1320 TVS we are referring to.

Are you starting with a completely stock car? If so swapping in the supercharger is as simple as bolting it on and throwing in some different injectors on to keep up with the higher fuel demand. It's also is typically recommended to swap the end plate out on intake manifold to dual pass end plate for better cooling. And I always recommend option B because I think bleeding the air out of the system is hard enough especially without Option B. Depending on what pulley you end up running you may also need to get either an adjustable belt tensioner from ZZP, and oversized tensioner pulley, or a stage 2 shorter belt. You will also need a tune and a wideband sensor/gauge to keep an eye on and confirm your fueling. Oh yeah an step colder spark plugs.
Thanks i'll be order the parts next week need to get all i need before i start . I'll keep u posted thanks so much jdbaugh1