New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Sky Redline owner in Salt Lake City Utah

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky Redline owner in Salt Lake City Utah

Hey everyone, I'm Alma. I bought my 07 sky redline last year. As many of you know the sky redline and Cobalt SS T/C share the same LNF motor. I joined on here because i know this forum has a lot to give when it comes to LNF knowledge and (the main reason I'm on here right now is to rent the LNF injector seal tool soon). I'll be pulling the intake manifold to walnut blast the valves and i figured while I'm in there I should install the lower mileage injectors w/fuel rail i have and new seals. My car has 119k miles on it and it has been misfiring on cylinder 3 since a month after I bought it. Recently i also got a p2188 code. So i will be checking my hpfp and it's seal to make sure it's working right and not dropping fuel into the engine oil. I've replaced the sparkplugs and coilpacks last year and I have a CAI. Other than that I'm stock for now. I'll be doing a catless dp, refreshed ko4 and a stage 2 tune hopefully by this time next year. (would do it sooner but i just got a house and it's costing a lot to do renovations.)
Top down cruise in a light snow down big cotton wood canyon in my sky redline.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised at all if blasting your valves cures everything. Just send me a message when you're ready for the tool!

BTW I went to Brighton High. The mouth of Big Cottonwood was about 2 miles from my house.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:38 PM

Yeah i think it'll fix everything haha. Well except for that i need to cast some poly bushings for the rear diff, my motor mounts might need some love and the drive shaft needs to be realigned (or my clutch or diff is going bad). But it still drives fine.
do you still live in Utah? I grew up in southern Utah and went to Hurricane High but i moved to Sandy 2 years ago after i found that southern utah doesn't have much to offer me.
Thanks man I'll send you a message once i know I'll be doing it. Gotta order the seal kit and the manifold seal. This is my first time ever doing this so it'll be a knuckle busting learning experience i imagine.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 PM

No I live in Arizona now. Came to go to ASU and got work here. I try to go back each year to ski. I've heard those diff bushings aren't the greatest.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
No I live in Arizona now. Came to go to ASU and got work here. I try to go back each year to ski. I've heard those diff bushings aren't the greatest.
Oh ok that's cool. Yeah they used to make poly bushings but discontinued them. Delrin bushings are made but I've heard Delrin gets ruined quickly by salt and currently the sky is my daily. I'm gonna buy a poly cast kit and do the diff bushings and any others i can that look bad. If the motor mounts have leaked out i think I'll patch them and fill them with the poly cast as well. When you have media blasted (assuming you have) did you use a straight blasting wand extension or did it have the little 45-90 degree tip designed for diesels? Wasn't sure which would be best. And I'm gonna get the valve port vacuum attachment to reduce the mess. I love this car but I've been tempted to sell it before it generates new issues. Just havent found a rwd car as fun as it for the same price that also looks decent (the wife says it has to look good)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 PM

i just used the nozzle on the harbor freight gun that i bought. worked fine.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 PM

i just used the nozzle on the harbor freight gun that i bought. worked fine.
which harbor freight gun did you buy? I have almost everything i need. Other question i had is with the injector seals, The dealer told me that they could install the seals on the injectors i have but the seals go back to the wrong size if you don't install the injectors within 10 minutes of sizing down the seals. Is that true? I'm gonna try to just rent the tool from you when i am working on the car though. (i have to wait until next month cause i won't have time until after my vacation next month :/) how long is the current line to rent the tool?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 PM

There's no line to rent it. I'm not sure how true it is, I haven't tested it. Does the dealer want to charge to do the job? Is it possible to get a ride to the dealer and then come home and pop them in? This is the gun I got, but the smaller one might work too: https://m.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
^ I rented his seal install tool and I took longer than 10 minutes to install them and they sealed up fine.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:21 AM

There's no line to rent it. I'm not sure how true it is, I haven't tested it. Does the dealer want to charge to do the job? Is it possible to get a ride to the dealer and then come home and pop them in? This is the gun I got, but the smaller one might work too: https://m.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
oh ok i was planning to use that one.
The dealer said they could probably do it and thwy doubted it would cost more than $30 but then they didn't get me the exact price because they were told the seal expands back up within 10 minutes (takes a little more than 10 minutes to get home from the dealer most of the time due to traffic) so i think they were trying to get me to let them do the install.. So i figured it's better for me to rent it. I might call them and see what they would charge anyway though. I need to buy an air hose, regulator, shutoff kit, walnut blasting media and gun and borrow some stuff from my inlaws. I have pretty much everything else. Oh except the seals which are waiting for me at the dealership to pickup.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
I can tell you the seals don't expand within 10 min, I have had times where it was 30min to a hour after being properly sized before I got back around to putting them in at work. There is no note in gm si stating a time limit after sizing either so it sounds like they are just trying to get you to come in to do the full job themselves. (sucks they make dealer techs like me look bad) It shouldn't cost more than 30-50 bucks to size them either (based on what I might charge just a reg customer). Takes less than 10 min to get them on and sized if you already got the old seals off and the injectors are clean.

Edit: I was reading your first post, the p2188 may be due to the cai, are you still on the factory tune?

Last edited by Kolt; 08-21-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM

There's no problem renting it from me, sounds like it'll be cheaper. Just takes a few days to get it in the mail. Just PM me if/when you want it. Some people are able to get the dealer to do it for cheaper or free, but sounds like yours isn't so friendly. Total cost to rent from me is about $11.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
If you rent the tool from exninja ill give you the gm si pdf for how to do it, guys on here can tell you how to use it as well.
The following users liked this post:
exninja (08-21-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt
I can tell you the seals don't expand within 10 min, I have had times where it was 30min to a hour after being properly sized before I got back around to putting them in at work. There is no note in gm si stating a time limit after sizing either so it sounds like they are just trying to get you to come in to do the full job themselves. (sucks they make dealer techs like me look bad) It shouldn't cost more than 30-50 bucks to size them either (based on what I might charge just a reg customer). Takes less than 10 min to get them on and sized if you already got the old seals off and the injectors are clean.

Edit: I was reading your first post, the p2188 may be due to the cai, are you still on the factory tune?
Yes I'm still on the factory tune. When i bought the car the previous owner had the G-Force "chip" spliced into the maf sensor wires so i pulled that ASAP but i haven't had the p2188 code until the just last few months. I've heard most CAI's on the sky and solstice don't make a difference but that sometimes they can cause some parameters to change that effects the maf reading so i guess a tune might help. I plan to get a tune shortly after fixing all this stuff and putting my fresh ko4 and catless downpipe in. Not yet aure if I'm going with rpm stage 2 or getting hptuner and tuning it myself. I'll take any instruction/help i can get so thank you!

Exninja I'll probably contact you in a week or so to rent the tool. How much is the deposit again?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:08 PM

$85 deposit, $77 is returned upon receipt of the tool.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:16 PM

$85 deposit, $77 is returned upon receipt of the tool.
Good deal! I'll be cleaning up my lower mileage injectors with some mineral spirits before i throw the new seals on them so hopefully they will last me a good long time. They aren't too dirty but they do have some hard carbon build up on some of the tips.