Nitrous Oxide N20

Question about running nitrous w/ stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about running nitrous w/ stage 3

I am probably going to get stage 3, and I am wondering what I need to run nitrous on it? The ecu is supposed to adjust timing and fuel for it on its own, but I'm wondering how it knows that the nitrous is on? Obviously I need a bottle, lines, and a nozzle ... but isnt the stage 3 supposed to act as a window switch if it has control over the shot? I was told it starts spraying at wot over 3000rpm, and cuts it 500rpm before your set redline, but do you need the actual dry shot control chip from the full kit? I just want to know if I'm gonna have to buy a full kit or if I save alot of money off my set-up by just ordering the nessesary parts if the ecu can control everything itself and doesnt need a n2o controller or a window switch or tps swith.

I'd rather not hear speculation as to rather it should or shouldnt; I would like to hear from someone who actually has stage 3 and is running a dry shot with it. As allways I apreciate your answers and support, I'm just hear to learn.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The PCM controls everything. All you need is a Dry 50shot kit. The PCM will give you a 12vdc out, which goes to the Nitrous plunger relay. The PCM will 'spray' from ~3500rpms to ~6000rpms or so.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...s-W57C196.aspx

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1724C196.aspx
download the instruction sheet, it will answer mostly all your questions.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Thanks bro, I understand where you are coming from, so I don't care what you do. I got told for two years that my 2.8/stage 1 setup was gonna blow up, it was slow, whatever. Eventually I learned to stop saying anything, as only the noobs will talk **** anyway. You see now why Area, LSJ and guys like them don't post details on thier setups? All it does is cause friction with the idiots who don't know any better. Just stay under the radar, and learn what you can. PMs are your friend if you really need to know something.

Joe

Originally Posted by CBodnar
ssdan apparently lost compression in his 1st bank. i don't think anything is wrong with my car (prays) i could go get it tested but feel it's a waste. he was running a 19fuel or 20fuel i know a lot less than me since i am running 22. i took your advice. i am on my 5th bottle. trust me i drive her hard. sprayed in neutral vs ssdan in between gears(neutral) mis shifted. and just let off of the NOS lol

i hope it keeps treating me well. i just don't why they don't listen when you ran it for a while and i've ran it prob as much as you did for the whole first year you had it? idk lol i use her a lot. just can't up the shot even though it's tempting. and wtf are they talking about selling a car to the dealership it breaking then having to go back and pay for it. that is a load of crap. you could even go to court on that one. once you sell your car or return it that is it. at least thats what i think.
Just ignore the idiots, its all you can do. Not everyone likes my advice, I have 4 LSJs on nitrous down here, and they all run great. I pushed my luck and got caught, so I tell people not to go that far. People don't want to listen to proof though, they wanna tell you what they heard someone else say. Can't do anything about it. Your car should be fine if you are careful and don't do anything stupid, I ran probably 20 bottles through my car.
he went 20 bottles on his car which is idk how many runs and he ran the bottle pressure really high. i've gone through 4 bottles on my 5th. i've told you in pm's. i personally think just leave exactly what you have and add a wet kit is your best bet.

-Chris
Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM

Hey CBodnar, how do you like the spray so far? I havn't been on here for a while, I bought a GTO and kinda left the balt to the side.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoelSS
Hey CBodnar, how do you like the spray so far? I havn't been on here for a while, I bought a GTO and kinda left the balt to the side.
it's fun. i just drive around with gm stg2, airbox, 2.8, when ever i see a car or a car asks me to race i just flip one switch on that turns red to the left of my steering wheel (near the trunk button in there) then i go in front of my shifter an pull up the 2 cup holders and under there i have my button. click the magical button and it gives me a little bit more speed. also when you click it you get full boost so much faster. it is like adding on a whole stage 2 kit on. for only paying $285 for the nos sniper kit new on ebay you can't go wrong.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM

I hear ya on the boosting, I'm hitting ~21psi, I think I need a new gauge to know exactly how much I'm boosting.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

I hear ya on the boosting, I'm hitting ~21psi, I think I need a new gauge to know exactly how much I'm boosting.
everyone tells me there stock dp gets clogged and the have had problems with it. i am 23k miles in and no problems with anything other than my clutch slipped once on the dyno. other than that on the street it is fine. maybe it is because i drive it hard most of the time he has no time to get clogged lol. since i bought my car right out of the dealership i was driving it hard pushing it to the limits on regular gas. then again i am also a firm believe of regular gas is fine to put in our car. the only reason to put v-power in or something is if your engine is pinging. otherwise if there is no ping your car does not require premium fuel.

go call up a parts store and ask them. also for people who buy royal purple. go to a place to buy oil and check on the back of all them where the oil comes from. it comes from all the same place. royal purple doesn't give you more power. they just have a bunch of people selling there product good saying it does something but it doesn't. i don't think people realize that but whatever. most the people who know the truth don't try to argue it because fact is majority of people on here are 16-20. most of them believe what they see and hear and believe oil can make power. wrong. also regular vs. v-power. it is the same thing. you do not get any extra power. i've done both and maybe only thing is it can make the engine last longer? not sure. otherwise regular is fine to put in the car unless the car pings. you can call me crazy but these are facts. just like mobile-1 paid GM a lot of money to put mobile-1 on there oil caps for people who buy the car to think mobile-1 is the only oil you can put in the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:02 PM

You mean you spray on 87 octane? Wow, speechless. I've been spraying since 19k, and its on 34k now, with no problems. I have a stock catless DP, and my OG stock pipe. When I removed my stock one, all I saw was a bunch of white residue from the spray. I changed out my clutch 4 months ago, only because when I ran it hard, the clutch felt soggy. To my surprise, the stock clutch and the new clutch looked identical. The only thing that realy needed replacement was the pressure plate and flywheel. Our cobalts use the disposable type that can't be resurfaced. I did keep the old clutch cause its still in good shape.
As far as oil, well, I use synthetic. So are you using conventional? True that most people are 16-20, after all this is a car made for the younger crowd. In to GTO forums, the majority of the commnunity are older than that.
I'm trying to make time to get back on the dyno. I want to see how much power the CA header and Fidanza added. Hopefully I can get good number like yours.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

no. i use higher octane now. when i was stock i put regular in it. no point. i raced my friend he put v-power in his we switched cars mine was always the one that was in front and faster for some reason stock for stock. both 07's and both brand new off the lot. now i put v-power in it and use fully synthetic oil, but i don't care what brand it is. all of them come from the same place look right on the back of the damn oil container. lol

i was like most the people on here. i was about to buy royal purple then my dad said wtf u gotta be on crack. then proved me wrong in every way and now i realize it is all the same. fully synthetic = fully synthetic. all are the same. all come from the same place.

also i am sorta happy i didn't go stage 3 cause i would of spent more money. also your dyno numbers 274 is that whp? and 306torque?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM

that sounds better. Yeah, those are my dyno numbers. It made that on the 4th run. I'm scheduling in a new dyno run, fresh in the morning too see how good the numbers are now with the flywheel and shorty header.

The best thing about GMPP stage 3 is that if for any reason it detects knock or any malfunction, it automatically stops spraying. Plus it has a tune for 100 octane, which you can switch on/off and you can set your own rpm redline. What sucks is no AC.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

that sounds better. Yeah, those are my dyno numbers. It made that on the 4th run. I'm scheduling in a new dyno run, fresh in the morning too see how good the numbers are now with the flywheel and shorty header.

The best thing about GMPP stage 3 is that if for any reason it detects knock or any malfunction, it automatically stops spraying. Plus it has a tune for 100 octane, which you can switch on/off and you can set your own rpm redline. What sucks is no AC.
u can fix the no a/c though. i think i put the links above. if not i can post them up again
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Fix for no ac on Stage 3?

Post the links, man!

This is the only hesitation that I have about Stage 3.

My car has to last, that's the only reason that I have against custom
tuning and pushing the envelope in pursuit of unholy horsepower.

I'll take the rish tune of the stage 3, and sacrifice a little hp for a
little reliability.

I understand it's all relative, but it helps me sleep a little better at night so I'm gonne
roll with it!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix
Post the links, man!

This is the only hesitation that I have about Stage 3.

My car has to last, that's the only reason that I have against custom
tuning and pushing the envelope in pursuit of unholy horsepower.

I'll take the rish tune of the stage 3, and sacrifice a little hp for a
little reliability.

I understand it's all relative, but it helps me sleep a little better at night so I'm gonne
roll with it!
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/gmpp-stage-3-c-76479/
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...66#post1481166
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM

So heres a question... On the stage 3 setup, you don't have to spray before the MAF? The pcm already automatically detects?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM

Correct, after the MAF sensor.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM

hey my best time is 13.79@104 with the 50shot where should i be?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM

LMAO people crack me up.....

this thread is full of fail
Old 08-23-2008, 12:21 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bulls'ss
hey my best time is 13.79@104 with the 50shot where should i be?
You're joking, right?

Originally Posted by silentd
LMAO people crack me up.....

this thread is full of fail
Agreed.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 08-23-2008 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 AM

You're joking, right?

Agreed.
they will never learn
Old 08-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Try2k
So heres a question... On the stage 3 setup, you don't have to spray before the MAF? The pcm already automatically detects?
So if I wanted to be safer on my engine and spray let say... a 40 shot, the ecu isnt gonna know the difference, and add fuel for a 50 shot? Basically I'd run a little bit more rich and lose a little power, but be on the safer side, since a dry shot on 42.5lb injectors and a 2.9 or 3.0 is kinda pushing the injectors. Also cool that it stops spraying if it detects knock, maybe thats the reason roelss only dyno'ed 274whp 306wtq on a 50 shot? If he leaned out up top and it knocked, it wouldve stopped spraying... the lack of problems down low would account for why only his hp was abnormally low, and the tq was about normal?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 PM

hold on now im not sure what you all find so funny. im just wondering how much a 50 shot would help. i have 2.6 pulley/42lbinjectors/header/ full exhaust/intake and run consistant 13.79 and im trying to decide to spray or not.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bulls'ss
hold on now im not sure what you all find so funny. im just wondering how much a 50 shot would help. i have 2.6 pulley/42lbinjectors/header/ full exhaust/intake and run consistant 13.79 and im trying to decide to spray or not.
i think personally this goes out to a lot of people with big hp. you need to de-mod your car and learn how to drive it and get at least a 14.5 before you upgrade. if your running 13.8 with your mod
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM

something doesnt seem right...

i have a smaller pulley than you, as well as the boost juice and i only see about 16 psi at wot....

check ur cat just to be safe, considering that your richness (if you have any) may be causing a clog....hence backpressure and higher psi...

just a fair warning
Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 PM

13.79 on 50 shot is not good. Should be in the 12's

Oops sorry should have read that better . Yea with a 50 shot you should be into the 12's

Last edited by BCobaltSS; 08-27-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about running nitrous w/ stage 3