North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, and ME

Pittsburgh Raceway Rules - Am I gonna have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pittsburgh Raceway Rules - Am I gonna have a problem?

I heard a while back that PRP does not allow you to run an aftermarket turbocharged car without a fire jacket or something like that and a helmut. Is this tru? If so does it get enforced on test and tune nights? Just thought a few of you might know this. thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Even if those ARE the rules, why not follow them? Invest in a jacket and helmet, and go racing! "Professional" racers invest in a hell of a lot more, and when it comes to safety, it's well worth it.

JMO.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Test n Tune is lanes 1-6 if you have an inspection sticker, 7-10 if you dont.

Last edited by Witt; 03-27-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM

well, this is my daily driver and i am not gonna be waering a helmut and firejacket driving to work so i think its unneccesary at this point. i was just looking to see if they enforce it or not. ive never seen anyone there with a firejacket on test and tune night.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM

The helmet is a requirement based on your times.
Not sure of this now but it used to be if you ran 13.99 or less you had to wear a helmet.
I have nevr seen anyone with a PA inspected car have to wear a jacket.
Aagain, this may have changed.

What does the web site say?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM

OK.... 1st off....

TNT nights are pretty lax and I know ALOT of people that run in the 13's and aren't wearing them. If you are running an event... then you're ass better have one.

As far as the jacket... where'd you see that? I would say to check the NHRA guidelines in the rulebook about this. PRP is an IHRA sanctioned track, and anything that is stated in the NHRA is usually a guideline to follow there as well.

I've not seen any guys in street cars that are wearing the jackets even on realy race nights, and I highly doubt that you running the SS would make them say "whoa there, where's you jacket?"

Suck it up and buy a helmet. They have those rules for a reason, and if something DID happen, you'll be glad you did. I bring mine to the track even though I don't need it in the event that one of my friends DO get harrrassed about it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The jacket, yeah, I could see that being a little off the wall. But there's no excuse to NOT own a helmet. I HAVE to have one.....two actually. One for auto-x, one for open track days. (Auto-x allows the use of motorcycle helmets, road courses all require automotive helmets...I choose to run an "M" helmet for a-x because it's lighter and less neck strain.)

All in all the cost for 2 helmets is a little under $150. I believe all PRP requires is an M-rated helmet, that'll run you $50 for a decent one. I really don't get why people bitch about helmet rules...cost of a helmet <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< cost of NOT having a helmet if something were to happen. And you'd bet your ass if you didn't follow the rules they'd deny liability for injuries as a result of not having one.

Whether or not they SAY something to you should be irrelevant, there's a basic expectation that if you're racing a car you can read and follow the rules. Though, after seeing some of the things I've seen at PRP (oh, say, like the Cavalier that tried running a pass ON A SPARE TIRE...then getting mad when they told them no, they couldn't run) it baffles me how some of those people are still alive. How many cars are running on a given night? It's pretty damn hard for them to keep track of times and who has a helmet and who does not have a helmet.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM

well i hope ill be running faster than 13.9 so if i do i hope they dont ban me till i get a helmut, i just dont have the extra $100 laying around right now for the helmut and thats probably not enough money anyway. those things are expensive. id like to get one eventually but i just wanted to see if i could sneak away this time without it.

where can i get a helmut for $50 thats snell approved for beaver run ? i thought id have to spend a fortune on a helmut which is why im trying to put it off. its just funny to me that they require helmuts for that slow of a time on a street car that runs faster on the street sometimes than on the track.

Last edited by celicacobalt; 03-27-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
its just funny to me that they require helmuts for that slow of a time on a street car that runs faster on the street sometimes than on the track.
Because you can't sue them if you're racing on the streets and seriously injure yourself.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
where can i get a helmut for $50 thats snell approved for beaver run ? i thought id have to spend a fortune on a helmut which is why im trying to put it off. its just funny to me that they require helmuts for that slow of a time on a street car that runs faster on the street sometimes than on the track.
You CAN'T get a helmet for BeaveRun for under $50, you have to have a SNELL A helmet for the road course those usually start around $100.

For an auto-x or drag strip you can usually run a SNELL M helmet. Those you can get starting around $50. Hell, a lot of Wal-Mart stores now sell SNELL M helmets for around $75.

I still really don't get the "don't have the money for safety equipment argument"......I see it all the time with n00bs at BR. They'll spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to make their cars more powerful then skimp when it comes to harnesses and seats and get mad when they don't pass safety tech.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 PM

well ill look into the helmut situation but this stuff in this thread has run me about broke lol

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/turbo-2-4-automatic-fully-installed-pics-52517/

also i thought the waver at the track stopped your ability to sue them?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM

^^^That's exactly what I'm talking about. We run into people ALL THE TIME at BeaveRun that pour money into a car and then get mad that they don't have the safety equipment to pass tech because they ran out of money. They'll try and get by with a motorcycle helmet or one not up to current standards. Or they'll go with some cheapass racing seat or harness and get mad when the rules say the driver and passenger must have matching equipment to support the instructor and the seats, seat installation, harnesses and harness installation have to meet safety specs.

If there's a minimum safety standard at PRP, it's there for a reason. If they don't check and you can slip by, that's on you, not them. But you can't exactly get mad if someone walks up to your car and says "Sorry, we require xyz and you don't have it, you can't run."
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM

^^^ I couldn't agree more. Racing is about more than just having a fast car. If you want to run that car at a sanctioned track, then you have to be willing to follow the rules set forth by the track and the governing body. Those rules are always there for a reason, plain and simple. IMO, it's a small investment, all things considered. $100 for a helmet might be a lot out-of-pocket right now, but consider this: what's the cost of NOT having it if, God forbid, something should happen??

The way I look at it, if you have the money to build a fast car, then you have the money to take the required protective measures. Not a personal attack by any means, just an honest opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 PM

I don't know how strict your track is, but my track out here is VERY strict about the safety.

Just a random picture...here is me in my full safety suit, ect...

Safety isn't cheap, expecially not a full suit like mine with the helmet, gloves, shoes, jacket, pants, neck brace, and head sock.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM

ROFL @ fingernail polish
Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 AM

I got my SNELL A2005 helmet for $150 new thru Apex performance. It's an open faced one.

If you can spend $$$$ on the car going fast and looking good... then you can spend $150 on a helmet.

It's like seeing guys going $50K restos on cars and then complaining about spending $$ on a battery....
Old 03-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Actually thanks for making this post. Been meaning to grab a Helmet this season. I'm going to be picking up a Helmet real soon if I get the money I should have today. Might as well get a SNELL A one as well, one for all.

Brian or Alicia, either of ya toss out a website or two? I wanna find a pretty orange one.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:02 AM

If you want to wait till this weekend, Apex might be at BeaveRun. More than likely they will be, this is a MAJOR event.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 AM

im sure there will be someone at the track with a helmet who will be more than happy to loan you theirs for your run.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltowner
im sure there will be someone at the track with a helmet who will be more than happy to loan you theirs for your run.
@ PRP.... I'd take my chances running without than borrowing one from some of those guys....

Better to spend the $$ and not get some kind of infestation....
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 AM

i want one but i have to see if i have any money left over after i pay for this whole project. if anyone could throw out a few good websites on a helmut thats approved for beaver run and prp that would be great. lower the price the better. the helmut dont have to look pretty.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM

What do you want to do at BeaveRun? Road course or auto-x? If you want something that is approved for EVERYTHING you need a SNELL A2000 or newer (So SNELL A2000 or A2005) - those start around $150 and go anywhere up to $1000 depending on what you buy. If you only want something for auto-x and PRP you can get by with a SNELL M2000 or newer. Those will start around $50.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM

now heres teh $64,000 questions...what is the difference between my motorcycle helmet and a snell a helmet...id rather wreck with my motorcycle helmet on then with a auto helmet on...the motorcyc le is designed to withstand enormous impect twices and reduce the g loads.and it does without a protective cage around it...just imo
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 AM

at beaver run im looking to do a flat out day on the high speed course so what helmut would i need the $150 one?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by djt81185
now heres teh $64,000 questions...what is the difference between my motorcycle helmet and a snell a helmet...id rather wreck with my motorcycle helmet on then with a auto helmet on...the motorcyc le is designed to withstand enormous impect twices and reduce the g loads.and it does without a protective cage around it...just imo
Design difference. And where the impact protection is located. Auto helmets are designed to take more of a side impact than a top or frontal impact to protect from bouncing around inside the car. The BIGGEST difference is that the liner MUST be Nomex, it can't be Nylon for fire safety. Most M helmets are the same as SA as far as standards go, but the reason tracks require SA is because of the Nomex lining.

Quick Reply: Pittsburgh Raceway Rules - Am I gonna have a problem?