North Pacific WA and OR

New pads and rotors for the Brembos

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pads and rotors for the Brembos

Well that was an easier than expected job. I replaced factory front brake rotors and pads with AC Delco 177-1056 OEM part #25994100 which superseded OEM Part #15893541 rotors and ACDelco 171-1042 OEM part 25808929 axle set/kit pads. Brembo branded, Ferodo friction material 1000/1 was printed on the AC Delco label @72k miles. I ordered a rebuild kit for each caliper but movement on all pistons was smooth and evenly distributed so that will sit in the car's tool box bottom drawer along with my new set of pad pins. Some of the stories from guys in the midwest and northeast convinced me better safe than sorry on those pricey pins.

I created this post just to let those in western Washington know that through 2 years and 72k miles I've driven through all weather and in the varying deicing compounds used on the road surface and after all that my pad pins popped out nice and easy. If you haven't done yours and are curious, there was very slight corrosion common to the base of head and the crimped (retainer of some sort?) crescent piece of metal on the shaft in the groove of the shaft immediately below the head.

I might suggest popping the pad pins out and putting a small coating of never seez or silicone brake part grease on the retainer's outer surface next time you take the wheels off.

Easiest brake job in history when those pins just pop out per designed intent.

Last edited by rchiwawa; 10-10-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Feredo, built, and in the groove
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM

i replaced my brake pads and rotors twice, and calipers under warranty....
Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
i replaced my brake pads and rotors twice, and calipers under warranty....
Fronts twice? I guess that goes to show how infrequently I use the brakes. FWIW i am on my fourth set of tires and all have worn evenly enough to qualify for treadlife warranty credit. Seriously, though, the calipers were warrantied? What was determined wrong with the Brembos? I did my rear brakes at 40k miles and since switching to non oem friction materials for the rear i haven't had one iota of trouble out of them for accelerated wear or function but the fronts were marvelous imo.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rchiwawa
Fronts twice? I guess that goes to show how infrequently I use the brakes. FWIW i am on my fourth set of tires and all have worn evenly enough to qualify for treadlife warranty credit. Seriously, though, the calipers were warrantied? What was determined wrong with the Brembos? I did my rear brakes at 40k miles and since switching to non oem friction materials for the rear i haven't had one iota of trouble out of them for accelerated wear or function but the fronts were marvelous imo.
lol so i got my car detailed once, and they used almukleen and it ate through my coating on them. I was a tech at chevy so i replaced them under warranty. I replaced the pads and rotors then because I could. Then the second time it was because i auto crossed it a bunch of times. I have gone through 3 sets of tires. Stocks didn't last long, autocross, dunlops didn't last long, autocross, and now my yokohamas 520s are just plan old all seasons and they have lasted almost 30,000 miles on them. No autocross.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM

lol so i got my car detailed once, and they used almukleen and it ate through my coating on them. I was a tech at chevy so i replaced them under warranty. I replaced the pads and rotors then because I could. Then the second time it was because i auto crossed it a bunch of times. I have gone through 3 sets of tires. Stocks didn't last long, autocross, dunlops didn't last long, autocross, and now my yokohamas 520s are just plan old all seasons and they have lasted almost 30,000 miles on them. No autocross.
I am on my fourth set myself, just had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tires installed and have been waiting for some rain to finish up my testing. The wet driving i did the day the tires were installed don't count. So far, they have out gripped everything, though i liked the stockers it's a shame that in the dry and warm, they have lost every metric i can log between my phone's sensors, Torque, and the RPD. I am not sure anything that isn't a true dedicated winter tire could beat the conti extreme contact dws, but otherwise i loathe those tires and i am not sure how well the Eagle F1's are going to do if i get caught in the snow but that's why i bought the 4x4. With how poor i feel the non snow performance was on the Conti Extreme contact dws vs the Eagle GT, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS with the tread mold breaking grease on them (the first 50 miles only time they have seen wet roads) or even the stock CSC2 I would tell you to look at anything else.

So does anyone have dibs on that sedan if/when it goes up for sale?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 AM

Question please clarify

I am on my fourth set myself, just had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season tires installed and have been waiting for some rain to finish up my testing. The wet driving i did the day the tires were installed don't count. So far, they have out gripped everything, though i liked the stockers it's a shame that in the dry and warm, they have lost every metric i can log between my phone's sensors, Torque, and the RPD. I am not sure anything that isn't a true dedicated winter tire could beat the conti extreme contact dws, but otherwise i loathe those tires and i am not sure how well the Eagle F1's are going to do if i get caught in the snow but that's why i bought the 4x4. With how poor i feel the non snow performance was on the Conti Extreme contact dws vs the Eagle GT, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS with the tread mold breaking grease on them (the first 50 miles only time they have seen wet roads) or even the stock CSC2 I would tell you to look at anything else.

So it sounds like you're saying that Conti's DWS are superior to anything out there (in the snow?), then you're saying they perform crappy compared to Eagle tires (dry weather?).

Could you elaborate? I've only used extreme Conti DWS on my 06 LT2 HHR, and they handled well in Seattle rain when I lived up there. The BF Goodrich G-Force Sports the previous owner installed on my Cobalt don't grip until the third gear now that it started raining (could have something to do with the fact that they're considered ”Ultra High Performance Summer” tires ), so I'm considering buying some rain/snow tires.

Thanks ahead.

EDIT: just looked at Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on TireRack, looks like a good all season performance tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wtpackage=true

Last edited by serega12; 10-21-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM

lol my sedan?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by serega12
So it sounds like you're saying that Conti's DWS are superior to anything out there (in the snow?), then you're saying they perform crappy compared to Eagle tires (dry weather?).

Could you elaborate? I've only used extreme Conti DWS on my 06 LT2 HHR, and they handled well in Seattle rain when I lived up there. The BF Goodrich G-Force Sports the previous owner installed on my Cobalt don't grip until the third gear now that it started raining (could have something to do with the fact that they're considered ”Ultra High Performance Summer” tires ), so I'm considering buying some rain/snow tires.

Thanks ahead.

EDIT: just looked at Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on TireRack, looks like a good all season performance tire. Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

When it comes to compacted down snow and ice performance the Conti DWS performs so well that i feel the hype on their winter performance is warranted. They truly do a fine job when cold. I hated thier performance otherwise (the sidewall flex, lacking wet performance, terrible dry and warmer than 50 degrees). I had more trouble out of eagle gt's while driving in the snow/ice in comparison but they wet so much better in the wet than the dws and the Contis were so disappointing otherwise that i just could not put another set on my car. I addended my tire review on the Eagle F1 asymmetric all seasons and they have proven to outperform the summer stockers but can punish with noise. If you like ripping hard through corners all the time (me). My understanding is that Goodyear set the 970PP as the literal pole position to beat for the f1 assies. I just was left with the feeling that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS was a long wearing performance winter tire that would be ok year 'round. To call them UHPAS is a misnomer in my eyes. The eagle Gt and more so the F1 Asymmetric all seasons are Ultra High Perfomance All Seasons. The dws is at best a touring tire and realistically a performance winter tire in my view.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM

lol my sedan?
Yep, your sedan.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM

Yep, your sedan.
how much do you have to spend?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM

how much do you have to spend?
just PM me when the time comes

For now I am good, I just want first dibs when/if the time comes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I've changed pads once, just rolled over 69k mi. Rears were replaced at less than 19k, went with Hawk HPS pads and a deal on rotors here. Fronts were this year, cake to do, went ahead and replaced the pins because the ones that were in there looked funky.