Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

*Knight's LNF Rebuild*

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking *Knight's LNF Rebuild*

So the story goes ..................................I went WOT one morning at the end of last summer in route to work on 90 on ramp. :sofa: I looked back & seen the entire ramp was smoked out.............same smoke coming from my exhaust. That happened at 25,xxx miles. Im just over 28,xxx miles now & have finally began my rebuild.
Reason this happened is my high pressure fuel pump **** out on me while WOT, causing to run very lean in the end causing detonation. I take it to dealership, they say multiple engine mis fire.........they replace HP fuel pump & my serpentine belt because it had a tear in it. After all that was said in done & all covered under warranty mind you there was still a mis fire in cyl #3. They compression test my engine & cyl #2 is leaking. Building about half as much compression as the other 3 cylinders were. Service manager then says we can't cover that(Knowing all my mods done before any work was done)...............because I have mods & tuning done to my car............HA! thats great, they didn't flag or void me but should have anyways IMO. In the end I'm fucked! Paying on a car with a comp. leak................theres no feeling like it

MONTHS GO BY....................... ........................... ................
&........................FINALLY!!!

My moms BF & I trailered my car to his house in 2 weeks last week. We pulled the engine there, took it to one of his buddies that knows his way around an engine. He is doing all my internal work, I will keep thread updated with info & pics. I'm hoping in 2wks at the most I will have a few things painted & the engine back in.

T-Shirt I'm ordering just because of this

Prepping for paint!

Primed

Painted

All pistons are back in with all new rings

My new ashtray

Shes Alive!!!

Last edited by KnightSS/TC; 04-01-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Cylinders have been re honed, one new oem piston & all new rings & gaskets arrived today.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should have went forged lol
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Stock forged lol
Only if I had the money to go big, so much i'd want but little money to spend. For gaskets, 1 oem piston & all new rings & a gm discount the parts bill was under $300 so I can't complain.
I just want my baby back to the way she was & I will be content for the time being.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 PM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of aftermarket parts are you putting in?
Might as well go all out!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 PM

after all the issues i had with my car i just said **** it and did rods, pistons, bearings, headstuds, all new gaskets, oil pump, fuel pump. i figured it in the long run its worth since i won't have to worry about the motor going boom again. I had a ringland failure and just didn't see just replacing one piston as a total fix

how aggressive was your tune on your car that may been your issue and you may want to consider that when you get the car back up
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tylerjclance
What kind of aftermarket parts are you putting in?
Might as well go all out!!
Just oem replacement, I dont have the money to buy all new aftermarket goodies

Originally Posted by JacBlackSS/TC
after all the issues i had with my car i just said **** it and did rods, pistons, bearings, headstuds, all new gaskets, oil pump, fuel pump. i figured it in the long run its worth since i won't have to worry about the motor going boom again. I had a ringland failure and just didn't see just replacing one piston as a total fix

how aggressive was your tune on your car that may been your issue and you may want to consider that when you get the car back up
yeah well saying ahhh **** it just isnt an option my wallet can handle lol, fuel pump was replaced by factory when it happened, all cylinders are being re honed and re ringed. my tune wasnt that aggressive IMO. 23psi re tuned on a dyno 3-4 times by vince/trifecta. When I would go wot my afr would sit dead nuts on 12.8. when my fuel pump went my wideband would not leave high 14's no matter what the gas pedal was doing.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Weiscos would have been the best pistons to go with
Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by KnightSS/TC
Just oem replacement, I dont have the money to buy all new aftermarket goodies

yeah well saying ahhh **** it just isnt an option my wallet can handle lol, fuel pump was replaced by factory when it happened, all cylinders are being re honed and re ringed. my tune wasnt that aggressive IMO. 23psi re tuned on a dyno 3-4 times by vince/trifecta. When I would go wot my afr would sit dead nuts on 12.8. when my fuel pump went my wideband would not leave high 14's no matter what the gas pedal was doing.
well maybe you should have parked your car until you were able to save up for the pistons, they aren't as expensive as you think. But the issues that since you had detonation occur you have 3 other pistons that have been weakened. Really you have band-aided the situation more than simply solved it. and of course your car would run lean when it has a broken fuel pump
Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
should have went forged lol
this is only true for big numbers. if thats not what you shooting for you cannot beat the stock stuff if you drive daily. most people dont put the extra care into a forged motor.

to the op... i suggest getting a solid tune froma reputable tune aswell and i sure hope your replacing all your pistons and not just the one that went.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

well maybe you should have parked your car until you were able to save up for the pistons, they aren't as expensive as you think. But the issues that since you had detonation occur you have 3 other pistons that have been weakened. Really you have band-aided the situation more than simply solved it. and of course your car would run lean when it has a broken fuel pump
Yeah that would have been nice, but as I said in OP that wasn't an option. No way for me to work, which means no way to pay all my bills. Home,utilities, car,insurance,food are all defining factors to my income spending. So saving up during winter wasnt posible for me when gas & electric were high since I hibernate through the winter in my house lol. I was un aware of the other pistons being damaged if the one was. They look fine, no scars on pistons or the sleeves. I was un aware that my fuel pump could take a **** over time, to my knowledge and past exp when a fuel pump goes it goes. Theres no inconsistent flow it just stops pumping period. Thought my wideband sensor was junk and needed replaced.

Originally Posted by Omiotek
this is only true for big numbers. if thats not what you shooting for you cannot beat the stock stuff if you drive daily. most people dont put the extra care into a forged motor.

to the op... i suggest getting a solid tune froma reputable tune aswell and i sure hope your replacing all your pistons and not just the one that went.
Not going for big numbers anytime soon, no funding for that, I just want to repair her to what she was before this happened. I'll get it data logged by a trifecta dealer and dyno. I really dont think it had anything to do with tune when my afr's always sat dead nuts at 12.8
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
you cant just base it off afrs
Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by KnightSS/TC
Yeah that would have been nice, but as I said in OP that wasn't an option. No way for me to work, which means no way to pay all my bills. Home,utilities, car,insurance,food are all defining factors to my income spending. So saving up during winter wasnt posible for me when gas & electric were high since I hibernate through the winter in my house lol. I was un aware of the other pistons being damaged if the one was. They look fine, no scars on pistons or the sleeves. I was un aware that my fuel pump could take a **** over time, to my knowledge and past exp when a fuel pump goes it goes. Theres no inconsistent flow it just stops pumping period. Thought my wideband sensor was junk and needed replaced.

Not going for big numbers anytime soon, no funding for that, I just want to repair her to what she was before this happened. I'll get it data logged by a trifecta dealer and dyno. I really dont think it had anything to do with tune when my afr's always sat dead nuts at 12.8
you have to remember the car has two fuel pumps one in tank and one high pressure on the front of the motor, the hpfp can go bad and still flow just not to spec, its weird that you didn't throw any CELs for the fuel pump, the car should have went into limp mode it was just random.

but i am just offering you advice from someone who just went through this, and like stated before a tune is not just about AFRs and calling it a day. just because only one ring-land cracked doesn't mean that the other pistons are not damaged from that heat that occurred during that detonation, the heat does not just stay in that one cylinder.

just word to the wise start saving up for the future so that you are able to take the car apart again and drop 4 new pistons, what you have done is just band aid the car not fully fix the issue. and trust me i know its hard it wasn't easy for me to drop the money but i got tired of worrying about having the issue with the car
Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

I was looking at wiseco 86mm piston kit, I know a few ppl that work there so I could get a discount, I also had a discount at the classic gm. I spent under $300 on new oem piston,new rings & new gaskets. Thats not including all the fluids but with how I am living pay check to paycheck these days thats the best I can do right now. Beleive me I would love to dump money into my car & give it the best money can buy just as I would a child but I just cant

I beleive what your saying & I didnt know the car has 2 fuel pumps. I always had a cel because my secondary o2 sensor was tied up under the car while my wideband o2 went in. That sensor needs replaced & I am welding another bung on the zzp catless dp behond the foul out bung. I half ass'd it I know. I'm gonna re dyno my car & have the trifecta dealer contact vince to look the log over & hopefully it'll get by for another year or 2 & then I hopefully by then will have a nice chunk to put in her One day I would like to have this thing over 500whp but thats a dream far far away. Thank you for your information/advice.

*PICS UPDATED IN OP*

Last edited by KnightSS/TC; 03-24-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Engine is back together, bolted back to subframe and is now in car. tomorrow were gonna finish attaching everything dump fluids in her & fire her up! Pretty excited to have my car back & on the road.

*PICS UPDATED*
Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

After 3wks...............................She's alive & running well!!! No CEL
Breaking in rings now with rotella oil, getting new syncros because 2nd started grinding a week before the rebuild began. Once rings are broke in I will compression test it to she how shes holding up then get her on a dyno afterwards to data log & get trifecta tune checked out and ok'd by vince.
*PIC UPDATE in OP*
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Just saw that you added a wide band? Our cars come with wide band O2 sensors.....

Glad she's running again tho!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
Just saw that you added a wide band? Our cars come with wide band O2 sensors.....

Glad she's running again tho!
I have a 2008 that just came with the boost gauge, I bought and installed a aem wideband in a zzp triple pod pillar over 10,000 miles ago. Thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 09:10 PM

Hey i know this thread is like a million years old, but for some reason it made me happy to see this. Good job fixing it man.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same sort of situation right now. Misfiring and probably losing compression under WOT. She runs decent up to about 75% power but will misfire and backfire like an old West shootout if I push harder. Shame since this car pulled hard back in the day.

My Red Panda has about 120k on it so I'm not sure where I want to go with it now. Offers? Suggestions?