Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

My Cobalt build week

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cobalt build week

Haven't been around much lately and it was mostly because of this, had the week off from work to do alot of mods, been planning this for months gathering parts and such.

Main goals were to perfect my hosing for the liquid to air intercooler, make sure theres no kinks, install a bunch of new parts and do it all at the same time while the car is torn apart to make things easier

Onto some pics
This was the old grill in the front end

80lb injectors going in, 60s coming out

New grill put in off the 08-10 Turbo SS, also lower grill added to protect the intercooler

Supercharger and fuel rail off

Stock Intake Manifold off, checking Lamova core orientation next to the new ZZP single pass manifold

80lb injectors on

So easy to do the oil change without the supercharger on

Giving Royal Purple a try

New heat exchanger almost ready to go on, all the old stuff off

End of day one just sat the nose back on for overnight

Back at it again on day 2, 2.7in pulley going on the Harrop TVS

OTTP Heat Exchanger mock up

Getting rid of old hosing

Part I've been waiting for from ZZP arrives

Surge tank bracket installed, no more bouncy flimsy tank

Intake Manifold back on with the ZZP Phenolic Spacer to prevent heat transfer from engine to intake manifold

ZZP 3800 breather installed to help with crankcase pressure

Overkill engineering Motorsports Phenolic Spacer to prevent heat transfer from blower to intake manifold

Nose almost back on, end of day 2

Early in day 3 all buttoned up, fluids full ready to crank up

Then the problems started, first crank massively rich and pulsing idle, sorted that out, went into tuning it and continued to trim fuel for several runs. Got it running decently and started to head into boost and the intake temputures were higher than I've ever observed. Day 4 tore it back down with help from Philbert (Qwibby) rerouted hoses in a different configuration as suggested to me by Maven off GMSC, put it all back together, intake temps were fixed for the most part, after a few runs into boost its obvious that this engine does not need or like the amount of boost I'm running at the moment. Too many rpms through the blower and the temps get hot enough timing is greatly reduced. Conclusion was to go back to the 2.9 inch pulley which would also mean i could return to my 60lb injectors as well. Potentially it could also be that air is still bleeding out of the system. Last night temps were at 79 degrees and I did not exceed 130 degrees IAT, took it to 5300 rpm and made 20psi with 21 degrees of timing perfect AFR and no knock.

This didnt work out since the result of adding the spacers moved the charger much further forward in the engine bay, theres not enough clearance to run the 75mm/2.9in pulley

So for now I'm stuck with the 2.7in pulley until the 2.8in arrives sometime this week, other plans included installing the steering rack spacers, catch can, and Koni struts. The Konis are now arriving Aug 2nd just a few days before I'm scheduled to leave for the GM Tuner bash in Ohio Aug 5th, with my work schedule I'm now likely forced to do the install on the morning of the 5th and hope that it doesn't take the entire day
Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM

It looks like its going to be killer! I sure hope you get it running well soon!

Oh! And hows the clearence with that little air breather thing?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Barely fits, but im not so sure its a good idea yet
Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Good build!!