Pictures & Videos Your pictures, photoshops, and videos.

My HID Retrofit project

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the projector he used are a 2 stage which means there are 2 bulbs per housing. You should have to use that diagram to wire each side.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
I think the projector he used are a 2 stage which means there are 2 bulbs per housing. You should have to use that diagram to wire each side.
If your talking about Mercury's .....he did only use 1 Bi-Xenon projector per housing . HID's are different as far as brights go . On a Bi-Xenon projector , theres a like a shudder inside that moves electronically to transition the SAME bulb from low beam to high beam . The electronic shudder just changes the the way the light is reflected .
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHARGDSS
ok im understanding the diagram, buuuuut...y only one 9007 connector for the whole system? Do you think it would be ok to integrate a second 9007 connector into the harness. one for both projectors. hmmm maybe i need to look through more threads on hidplanet to see if someone explains it.

You could but it'd just be more expensive since you'd need ot buy another relay and run more wire and buy another inline fuse. Its easier to just do it through one connector since the ballast are being powered through the relay anyways.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
If your talking about Mercury's .....he did only use 1 Bi-Xenon projector per housing . HID's are different as far as brights go . On a Bi-Xenon projector , theres a like a shudder inside that moves electronically to transition the SAME bulb from low beam to high beam . The electronic shudder just changes the the way the light is reflected .
Oops. Yeah, I thought there was 2 bulbs. Thanks for straightening that out.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by e to the x
You could but it'd just be more expensive since you'd need ot buy another relay and run more wire and buy another inline fuse. Its easier to just do it through one connector since the ballast are being powered through the relay anyways.
awesome thats the answer i was looking for. less work and less money is a plus.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

I have a choice between a pair of Valeo projectors and a pair of Bosch Projectors. Both are bi-xenon. Which would you go for Merc? Valeo's are $130 and Bosch's are $155.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 AM

I just got a pair of Bosch for 100. there are are a pair of Valeo Bi-xenon D1S' forsale for 100 also on hidplanet.com
Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

I've got my headlamps almost apart, my denso D2S ballasts are on the way, I am inquiring about these projectors for $99:

What else do I need for the housing? I am thinking bulb holder..but have no idea. Obviously I still need the wiring, relays and fuses but thats all easy enough to get my hands on. I might get my bulbs from visionbulbs.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:03 AM

those are Bosch/AL's i just got mine today. i emailed that seller before and he said that it does not come with the connector for the bi-xenon activation.

edit: forgot to mention that you would have to solder the wires on in order to get it all to work

Last edited by CHARGDSS; 09-18-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 PM

I have a choice between a pair of Valeo projectors and a pair of Bosch Projectors. Both are bi-xenon. Which would you go for Merc? Valeo's are $130 and Bosch's are $155.
If the Valeos are 3 inch, I say go for them. Our headlights are so huge as it is, it would look pretty strange with a 2.5inch projector.

Nice to see others are seeing the light!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury
If the Valeos are 3 inch, I say go for them. Our headlights are so huge as it is, it would look pretty strange with a 2.5inch projector.

Nice to see others are seeing the light!

Yeah the hardest part will be modding the housing for me. That will start once I get some free time.

I'm also trying for some Acura TL bi-xenons right now. Its gonna be a steal at less than $200...maybe 300 with 4 hours left.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Well got my projectors and 1 solenoid doesn't work. Les hope I can get this resolved.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Well got my projectors and 1 solenoid doesn't work. Les hope I can get this resolved.
which projectors did you end up getting??

i had a bad ballast and it had to be sent back. i should be getting another one shortly. I finished up my wiring harness and decided to see if it was done correctly. so i hooked it up and took one of my projectors and wired it in. Well i tried hitting the highbeams to see the sheild raise up, but they barely moved. They just like shuddered. So my harness is correct. But now im gonna have to go with the two 9007 connectors and two relays and make seperate circuits for each projector. booo to me.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

which projectors did you end up getting??

i had a bad ballast and it had to be sent back. i should be getting another one shortly. I finished up my wiring harness and decided to see if it was done correctly. so i hooked it up and took one of my projectors and wired it in. Well i tried hitting the highbeams to see the sheild raise up, but they barely moved. They just like shuddered. So my harness is correct. But now im gonna have to go with the two 9007 connectors and two relays and make seperate circuits for each projector. booo to me.

I got the Bosch E46 projectors. Did you test your shield solenoid on a 12V source before trying it on your harness?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM

I got the Bosch E46 projectors. Did you test your shield solenoid on a 12V source before trying it on your harness?

yea i checked them usuing two 9 volt batteries in a series. worked PERFECT....so idk whats wrong when they are hooked up. not enough power is getting to them. i'll have to get a meter and check how much power is getting to the solenoid through the harness.

i have everything i need. i just have to start hacking up the headlights and make sure everything is adjusted correctly.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

yea i checked them usuing two 9 volt batteries in a series. worked PERFECT....so idk whats wrong when they are hooked up. not enough power is getting to them. i'll have to get a meter and check how much power is getting to the solenoid through the harness.

i have everything i need. i just have to start hacking up the headlights and make sure everything is adjusted correctly.

Yeah maye your bulbs are taking too much of the current, or maybe there is something else wrong with the wiring for the bulbs thats affecting the solenoid. I guess if worse comes to worse you can just buy a 2nd relay like you said and wire up the solenoids that way.

Ha and btw, in my conversation with the douche that sold me the projectors he accused me of burning the solenoid. I sat staring at the screen when I read that cause I was that shocked that he immediately thought I overpowered them. I used a 12V source with less than 1 amp of current running through it (fuse controlled) and basically I told the guy if he was going to play games that I was going to escalate the paypal claim right then and there. I mean I went through basic electronics stuff in HS and then again in college physics and then again in an electrical engineering course....so I didn't mess up. I'm never buying from this guy again. He charges over double on the actual shipping cost.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM

Yeah maye your bulbs are taking too much of the current, or maybe there is something else wrong with the wiring for the bulbs thats affecting the solenoid. I guess if worse comes to worse you can just buy a 2nd relay like you said and wire up the solenoids that way.

Ha and btw, in my conversation with the douche that sold me the projectors he accused me of burning the solenoid. I sat staring at the screen when I read that cause I was that shocked that he immediately thought I overpowered them. I used a 12V source with less than 1 amp of current running through it (fuse controlled) and basically I told the guy if he was going to play games that I was going to escalate the paypal claim right then and there. I mean I went through basic electronics stuff in HS and then again in college physics and then again in an electrical engineering course....so I didn't mess up. I'm never buying from this guy again. He charges over double on the actual shipping cost.

what you just mentioned about bulbs just made me think. I only unhooked one headlight and hooked up the projectors. so i bet the headlight still hooked up may have drawn enough power when I hit the highbeams to kill power going to the projectors. tomorrow i'll have to unhook both headlights and hook up the projectors and see what happens. hopefully it works. if not then i'll just stick with the lows for right now until i decide to make a harness for each headlight.

I think the solenoids can handle a little more than the 12volts they are rated for to begin with. so you would have had to really over power them to burn them out. hopefully you can get that **** resolved. Who did you buy them from anyway? so i don't go making a future purchase from them.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

I think the solenoids can handle a little more than the 12volts they are rated for to begin with. so you would have had to really over power them to burn them out. hopefully you can get that **** resolved. Who did you buy them from anyway? so i don't go making a future purchase from them.
Yeah I didn't burn it out. Tested both off a 12V source and one worked and the other didn't. The ebay user/store is HTBARGAIN. He has a decent rating with some negatives. I just happened to be another person that will give him a negative. Bad/untested product and overcharging by double for shipping.

As for your solenoid issue I can't imagine why the highbeam from the stock healamp would draw too much power away to stop the solenoid from working. Must be a wiring thing in there.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 AM

Well im almost ready to seal up my lights. i need to adjust everything right and finish painting. Then seal and wrap up all the wiring. hopefully i'll be able to get pics up by next week.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Banned

Well im almost ready to seal up my lights. i need to adjust everything right and finish painting. Then seal and wrap up all the wiring. hopefully i'll be able to get pics up by next week.

Nice nice. I am still in arguments with this seller. He eve gave me an unpaid item strike which I then appealed and now I am still waiting for him to ship the replacement to me.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM

Be sure you seal the lights up where the projector comes out of the back. That is a really easy way for moisture to enter the lamp assembly. I used silicone.

I am guessing you have aimed the projectors and made sure they were straight while on the car?

Glad to hear others are retroing!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
Be sure you seal the lights up where the projector comes out of the back. That is a really easy way for moisture to enter the lamp assembly. I used silicone.

I am guessing you have aimed the projectors and made sure they were straight while on the car?

Glad to hear others are retroing!

yea they will be aimed on the car. I came up with an idea for teh back of the headlight using the stock rubber peice that sealed it. Im gonna get some thin sheets of rubber and cut them in slightly oversized circles and then cut on circle in the middle just big enough to force over the back of the projector. Then im gonna use some rubber glue and seal the two peices of rubber together. It should be enough to keep it sealed. maybe even incorporate the plastic stock bulb holder to hold everything in place.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM

yea they will be aimed on the car. I came up with an idea for teh back of the headlight using the stock rubber peice that sealed it. Im gonna get some thin sheets of rubber and cut them in slightly oversized circles and then cut on circle in the middle just big enough to force over the back of the projector. Then im gonna use some rubber glue and seal the two peices of rubber together. It should be enough to keep it sealed. maybe even incorporate the plastic stock bulb holder to hold everything in place.
I utilized the stock rubber piece with the silicone. Worked nicely.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

I've got a new set of projectors on the way. Merc you'll love it, Hella E-55 Bi-xenons The Bosch set is a lost cause. The a$$ that tried to give me an ebay strike now has a full paypal claim against him. No shipment, no "I'm sorry", no anything. So I am waiting on my E55s to come in this week and then I cna get on to fitting them. I've sanded down the chrome on one housing and put down my first layer of paint and will do the 2nd tonight and a nice 320 grit rub. Maybe a 400 or 600 grit rub. I'm gonna pick up some 1000 and 2000 when I head ot pepboys tonight for some coolant as my H/E keeps ridding itself of air. I'll post some pics tonight.

Oh and also I have my bosch 40A relay coming in with a plug harness as well. Should make the connections a bit more secure and less of a burden.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM

I've got a new set of projectors on the way. Merc you'll love it, Hella E-55 Bi-xenons
Hella E55's FTW!!!

Quick Reply: My HID Retrofit project