Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

06 SC, Addressing various issues before spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 SC, Addressing various issues before spring

My 06 SC has some issues that i want to work on while its parked for winter, and maybe have everything by spring.
Issue 1: Ive has a rough misfire develop under WOT in the last 500 or so miles, thinking about just tossing all new plugs and maybe upgraded coils. It has original coils and 148K miles
Issue 2: I Still have a shake under acceleration. I've already replaced my Axles and had my tires rebalanced twice. Issue still stays. Is it possible its time for all new front end anything rubber?
Issue 3: Wheel hop, Reading some threads from 10 years ago say that new engine mounts and a rotated trans mount can fix that issue, Today, in 2022, Is that all thats needed? ZZP and OTTP still offer multiple mount options for F35/LSJ
Issue 4: Im thinking about converting the balt to E85, What's an explain like im 5 list of everything needed to do that. Does the fuel pump needed changed? All i know so far is ill need bigger injectors and a PCM touchup. Since I've never had a corn car before, can you still run pump gas in an emergency or does it become strictly E85 only?
Issue 5: Ive read its a common balt issue, but i also just developed the clunking while steering at a stop or low speed. I Asked the dealer if they could look at that while they do the ignition recall, but im not paying $200 for there "diagnostic fee"

Yes i know, my cars a heap of **** Once i get these figured out, then ill start on the power goodies
Old 01-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Issue 1. Change the plugs only. Only use NGK BKR7E's. Stock coils are very good; no real upgrade from them. I think ZZP coils are on par with them; definitely not wildly better. I have a spare set of ZZP coils - if the plugs don't fix your issue, I'll sell them to you cheap.

Issue 2. Honestly... mine just developed this as well... so hopefully we can solve this together.

Issue 3. Rotated trans mounts are all that is needed to correct 95% of this problem.

Issue 4. You'll need bigger injectors and a tune. That should be it while still an M62 car. Once tuned for E85, you can't just pump gas in the car, as the MAF and AFR will be scaled differently.

Issue 5. Depends on the situation surrounding the clunk - so many things on these cars make clunks. I would check your sway bar end links (if they've never been replaced... just do it), then tie rod ends, and then the steering intermediate shaft (high probability it is this; mine just started doing it too).
Old 01-16-2022, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Issue 1. Change the plugs only. Only use NGK BKR7E's. Stock coils are very good; no real upgrade from them. I think ZZP coils are on par with them; definitely not wildly better. I have a spare set of ZZP coils - if the plugs don't fix your issue, I'll sell them to you cheap.

Issue 2. Honestly... mine just developed this as well... so hopefully we can solve this together.

Issue 3. Rotated trans mounts are all that is needed to correct 95% of this problem.

Issue 4. You'll need bigger injectors and a tune. That should be it while still an M62 car. Once tuned for E85, you can't just pump gas in the car, as the MAF and AFR will be scaled differently.

Issue 5. Depends on the situation surrounding the clunk - so many things on these cars make clunks. I would check your sway bar end links (if they've never been replaced... just do it), then tie rod ends, and then the steering intermediate shaft (high probability it is this; mine just started doing it too).
1: Ill get some plugs for sure
2: I May not be much help untill spring on that one lol
3: easier than i thought
4: even better, i dont have to get a new fuel pump just yet
5: I Never gave sway bar links a thought. Ill probably get everything as im sure its all original. Ill take a peep at that intermediate shaft

EDIT: I Wasn't aware there we so many options for suspension parts, Is the 06 SC FE5?

Last edited by PutinsMixtape; 01-16-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:22 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Yes, the top tier is FE5, and that is what is on the 05-10 SS/SC's and SS/TC's. There are a few critical differences between 05-07 FE5 and 08-10 FE5 - sway bar bushings and ball joints are the two things that do not mix between them. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head though.

Here's an info thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/susp...m4-jl9-137064/