Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

2006 SS 2.4L Cobalt loud stall& no restart - Video provided - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SS 2.4L Cobalt loud stall& no restart - Video provided - Please Help!

So I was backing out of my entrance when suddenly my car shut off very loudly, not your average subtle stall, started stalling and stopped with a hard noise and vibrations. Restart it but was idling hard like a tractor, shut it off immediately. OBD reading showed p0016 code. Car was running in limp mode the past days, throwing random CEL codes. Had been checking for the oil and coolant but no issue there and no apparent clues it was about to fail.

The car was always well maintained but had problems with the camshaft actuator solenoid twice, first replaced at the dealer two years ago and second was about 3-4 weeks ago, took it out myself after hard shift encounters and found out that their replacement part was clogged with metallic debris. Proceeded to replace it along with an oil change and oil filter change, old oil level proved to be extremely low and dark despite the computer telling it was 40%. The symptoms of hard shifts was corrected immediately as expected but I took an engagement with the garage to have the oil replaced again once or even twice if needed. Good to know the car had its air filter and sparks plugs changed also at the same time, part of a goodwill maintenance on my part to keep it running healthy and steady for years to go.

Checked the solenoid, both of them actually, and they were clean but proceeded to clean them just in case. Oil was level but a bit dark to my taste, was due for a change actually today. Had the battery disconnected overnight. Trying to start it today it cranks barely or not.

Will aim for the starting or charging circuit/battery but also a flush of the oil and opening of the head cover to inspect it visually inside for clues of a timing chain slip or failure or any other signs of mechanical failure.

What else would you suggest to look at? May very well end up bringing it to a pro but have the tools, knowledge and will for some initial verifications before. Thanks in advance for all insight.

Here is the video:

Last edited by Europeanboy; 07-19-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Bump*

Still no success, bringing the car to the garage wednesday. I have tried jump starting it, does help crank it a few times but a bizarre crank wich eventually ends up in only a clicking noise after the 1st or 2nd try.

Opened the head cover, timing chain is not broke and no visible damage. Giving the details I gave in my first stop as to the limp mode and hard engine stall, is there someone that could help ?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
The bad crank and clicking is a dead battery, maybe ur Altonater is toast not charging the battery, once the batt dies like it sounds like it did, car would stall out.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Here is what u do, charge ur battery, start the car, while its running, get a multimeter and measure how much power is coming off the thick red wire on the Altinator, if its 12 volts or less then ur alt is bad, it should be 13.5 to 14.5 about.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you Russian ? But it seems like you have no battery power. Go get a charger, and put it on charge, or put it on 200amp start , let it sit, then if it starts, let it run, WITHOUT the battery charger hooked up. If it dies, then like Tomj77 said most likly the alternator.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

It should still run run a bit till batt is empty. When Altinater goes u suddenly loose all power. Could also be the belt ripped, check to see if ur sepanten belt is still there befor u check alt
Old 07-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by SalvageBaltSS
Are you Russian ? But it seems like you have no battery power. Go get a charger, and put it on charge, or put it on 200amp start , let it sit, then if it starts, let it run, WITHOUT the battery charger hooked up. If it dies, then like Tomj77 said most likly the alternator.
Igor! did you put vodka in the gaz tank?! Haha don't know if there are any Cobalts over there. Im Romanian born but been living in Montreal/Canada for the last 18 years.

I think the battery on my other car is the same type, I will swap it to verify but wouldn't the jump start have helped it start ? I let my other car idle for 5 minutes before trying to crank it.
Also, Im still speachless about the way it died, stumbled badly I tought I'll see a piston fly through the hood!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

If batt is totally dead u have to leave the jumper cables on for a while. Ur car would still struggle if Altinater is gone or belt is ripped, cause then u got one Altinater, on the jump car, running 2 cars.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

It should have helped it, maybe ur connection with jumper cables was bad.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Europeanboy
Igor! did you put vodka in the gaz tank?! Haha don't know if there are any Cobalts over there. Im Romanian born but been living in Montreal/Canada for the last 18 years.

I think the battery on my other car is the same type, I will swap it to verify but wouldn't the jump start have helped it start ? I let my other car idle for 5 minutes before trying to crank it.
Also, Im still speachless about the way it died, stumbled badly I tought I'll see a piston fly through the hood!
Im Romanian to man ! Mă bucur să văd un alt proprietar română. But if you can get it running again, see if your lights are going dim, and off and on. If so its most likely your alternator.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I actally had the same problem with my john deere tractor, were it wasn't starting . and everything would come on. It turns out it was my Positive Battery terminal was not connecting right, so i went and bought new ones, and it worked like a charm.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM

P0016 Crankshaft Position - Crankshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A

now normally i would say just replace the sensor, but given your description of how it stalled and then restarted, i think you have a more serious issue going on in your timing case.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM

you said the timing chain is not broke, did you check to see if the motor is in time? Does the chain have tension on it? Have you done a compression test to verify the motor is timing correctly?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Many thanks for your advices and help.

Turned up to be a broke timing chain. Did look at it but not deeply, it turned out engine was badly damaged, I could see it for myself at the garage. Repairing it would have cost more then to replace because of the labor so I went for a perfect shape 40 000km engine. Garage has a good reputation so the SS is in good hands.

Can't wait to have it back! While I had it sitting still at home I detailed it, clay bar/polish/wax, engine bay, interior.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

put a 5 speed in it also
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Europeanboy
Many thanks for your advices and help.

Turned up to be a broke timing chain. Did look at it but not deeply, it turned out engine was badly damaged, I could see it for myself at the garage. Repairing it would have cost more then to replace because of the labor so I went for a perfect shape 40 000km engine. Garage has a good reputation so the SS is in good hands.

Can't wait to have it back! While I had it sitting still at home I detailed it, clay bar/polish/wax, engine bay, interior.
Make sure that engine has the updated cam chain tensioner or you can expect to have the exact same problem again shortly!!!

-Jamie M.