Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

blown gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown gasket?

Hate to bother you guys again but the dealer is no help at all.

They took a week to get my car back to me JUST for replacing the cat.

Service tech pulled it up to the main doors for me and i noticed that the CEL was still on. I'm sitting there thinking.. oh well they forgot to clear it out.. no big deal..

Ok.. drive away... give it a little boost and i'm hearing this hissing/ticking noise come from the engine bay when under boost. (not at idle so I doubt it's a header/manifold gasket)
Drove it back to the dealer, took one of their guys out on a little "test drive" to let him hear it. came back.. put it up on the lift he tightened the bolts to the DP and said well there tight it should be ok.. (of all people they send the suspension/alignment guy to do this)

He told me "ehh.. just drive around on for a few days... just see if it goes away..."

Question is... is it possible that since I had all the "boost" backed up because of the cat being clogged, could the gasket have blown?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Black SS 07
Hate to bother you guys again but the dealer is no help at all.

They took a week to get my car back to me JUST for replacing the cat.

Service tech pulled it up to the main doors for me and i noticed that the CEL was still on. I'm sitting there thinking.. oh well they forgot to clear it out.. no big deal..

Ok.. drive away... give it a little boost and i'm hearing this hissing/ticking noise come from the engine bay when under boost. (not at idle so I doubt it's a header/manifold gasket)
Drove it back to the dealer, took one of their guys out on a little "test drive" to let him hear it. came back.. put it up on the lift he tightened the bolts to the DP and said well there tight it should be ok.. (of all people they send the suspension/alignment guy to do this)

He told me "ehh.. just drive around on for a few days... just see if it goes away..."

Question is... is it possible that since I had all the "boost" backed up because of the cat being clogged, could the gasket have blown?

check your oil cap and oil. if theres a white milky looking substance your head gaskets blown. if not check the gasket on your header. that might be it. my buddy's toyota was maken a weird noise under throttle and it was his header gasker.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

The intake manifold gaskets have been updated , id check that too.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 AM

You'll know if your head gasket is blown. There will be white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe. Check the oil cap and dipstick like srcobaltss said to see if the oil is milky. Also, have your CEL cleared and try that as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 AM

i dont think they changed your cat. I had that same issue and they tried to tell me they fixed it. All the while I knew it was a blown cat. So when i picked it up and they said it was fixed, i went out to the parking lot rev'd it up and heard the same sound. I went in pissed now. So they drive it back in. This time they actually change the downpipe. next day i pick it up. No noise and the tech says yeah your cat was F'd.

Just make sure they actually changed it and didnt just inspect it visually and waste time
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM

What gasket are we talking about?

If its the gasket in the downpipe just stick your hand down there (don't touch it unless you like pain) and see if you feel air puffing out.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid 06
i dont think they changed your cat. I had that same issue and they tried to tell me they fixed it. All the while I knew it was a blown cat. So when i picked it up and they said it was fixed, i went out to the parking lot rev'd it up and heard the same sound. I went in pissed now. So they drive it back in. This time they actually change the downpipe. next day i pick it up. No noise and the tech says yeah your cat was F'd.

Just make sure they actually changed it and didnt just inspect it visually and waste time
Trust me.. They changed it lol
I personally ripped it off the car and had it towed in.
They put up all new gaskets (dp to header & dp to catback) and retightened the bolts.. Still leaks.

I'm going to be putting on my header/dp combo to see if that will fix it (as far as it being a header gasket gone bad) if it's not. If it's a s/c gasket... wheres the best/cheapest palce to get one? All part stores dont have them or stock them due to it being such a new car..
Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM

i doubt its a s/c gasket.