Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Bumping noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar end links??
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 PM

As far as i know the car has never had an alignment i still haven't gotten one since i lowered it with Eibach pro kit, could that possibly be the problem? it does pull to the left on the highway. But i only feel it in the driver side floor board when turning.

Bump

Any ideas? if i corner real hard it gets harder and faster, then goes away when i straiten the wheel. Almost seems like its def a moving part.

Last edited by 07hhr; 05-16-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
Heh, I know the fix and I'm not gonna say it. Hopefully they do too.
what is it, i am having a sound like this as well. lowered on SSC springs. my struts are worn out though, so im hoping it takes care of the problem
Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Bump!!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 AM

(baby steps)

first: pull the EPS fuse under the hood and see if that causes it to go away

report back
Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Did they replace the lower part of the steering shaft? I think of that as the intermediate shaft, which is a GM problem, they all thump when turning after a while due to drying out. When taken apart and re-greased, it goes away, for a while. The intermediate shaft going from the trans to the right side axle is something different, and would not give the symptoms you are seeing.

Check control arm bushings, steering shaft joints, sway bar mounts/links, stuff like that. Its something in the suspension, not the driveline.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 AM

nm, Joe can help you I guess
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Did they replace the lower part of the steering shaft? I think of that as the intermediate shaft, which is a GM problem, they all thump when turning after a while due to drying out. When taken apart and re-greased, it goes away, for a while. The intermediate shaft going from the trans to the right side axle is something different, and would not give the symptoms you are seeing.

Check control arm bushings, steering shaft joints, sway bar mounts/links, stuff like that. Its something in the suspension, not the driveline.
I'm not sure what you mean here, they did replace the intermediate shaft, what do you mean the lower part of the steering shaft?

(baby steps)

first: pull the EPS fuse under the hood and see if that causes it to go away

report back
I already tried this and it still did it.

Last edited by 07hhr; 05-18-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM

try loosening the bolt at the bottom of the intermediate shaft (at the steering gear) and pry up on the bottom of the shaft, then re-tighten it.....don't crank hard on the bolt though when tightening

test drive and see if it's gone
Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

try loosening the bolt at the bottom of the intermediate shaft (at the steering gear) and pry up on the bottom of the shaft, then re-tighten it.....don't crank hard on the bolt though when tightening

test drive and see if it's gone
Where exactly is this bolt though under the dash?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by 07hhr
I'm not sure what you mean here, they did replace the intermediate shaft, what do you mean the lower part of the steering shaft?

I already tried this and it still did it.

What do you mean by intermediate shaft? The one between the steering column and the rack, or the one between the trans and right axle? People call both the same thing.

Where exactly is this bolt though under the dash?
Right above the cradle, under the car.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 05-19-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 AM

The i shaft is located in the dash inside of the car.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 PM

The verdict is in!!!!

Well i just got off the phone with my Dealer, the manager says hes about 99% sure that my tires are "Chopped" or out of round. he said you can run your hand cross the tire and fell that they are chopped. I just wonder if Tire discounters screwed something up when they remounted my tires onto my new wheels. What causes a tire to be out of round? Is it fixable? By the way my dealer is being really cool about it they said i can bring my SS/SC wheels in and they will mount them and see if it does it with those wheels. i hope this is what the problem is for real.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 PM

Hm, don't know. I hate trying to diagnose things over the internet. Doesn't work so well.

I had other ideas of what it could be, but I was almost positive on your's. It's a daily occurance at work.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Well i just got off the phone with my Dealer, the manager says hes about 99% sure that my tires are "Chopped" or out of round. he said you can run your hand cross the tire and fell that they are chopped. I just wonder if Tire discounters screwed something up when they remounted my tires onto my new wheels. What causes a tire to be out of round? Is it fixable? By the way my dealer is being really cool about it they said i can bring my SS/SC wheels in and they will mount them and see if it does it with those wheels. i hope this is what the problem is for real.
Nope, that is due to toe setting. Will cause a constant noise, like a hum or roar at steady speed if anything, usually it doesn't do anything at all. The fact that you are lowered and have aftermarket wheels can cause this, but I'd bet money it won't fix anything.

Now changing your wheels may affect something in the suspensions geometery, if they are at all different than what you have on there now it might do something, but the tire feathering or chopping is not causing a bumping noise through turns.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Hm, don't know. I hate trying to diagnose things over the internet. Doesn't work so well.

I had other ideas of what it could be, but I was almost positive on your's. It's a daily occurance at work.
Where are you located ?

Nope, that is due to toe setting. Will cause a constant noise, like a hum or roar at steady speed if anything, usually it doesn't do anything at all. The fact that you are lowered and have aftermarket wheels can cause this, but I'd bet money it won't fix anything.

Now changing your wheels may affect something in the suspensions geometery, if they are at all different than what you have on there now it might do something, but the tire feathering or chopping is not causing a bumping noise through turns.
So you don't think its the tires at all?

Also the manager said he checked all of the suspension components and everything looks excellent.

Last edited by 07hhr; 05-19-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Where are you located ?

So you don't think its the tires at all?

Also the manager said he checked all of the suspension components and everything looks excellent.
No, not from my experience. When I was at Chevy, majority of those steering thumps were from the lower steering shaft slip joint, commonly called the intermediate shaft. On these cars, you also have and intermediate shaft between the trans and right axle, which is why I asked you which one they replaced. Tire noise is much different than a suspension pop or thump. Tire noise is usually constant, speed related, will change over different types of pavement, get better or worse in rain/wet conditions, and so on. If you have a noise only while turning, it is usually in the steering gear, shaft, or suspension. Vettes have a weird rear-end pop that sounds like ring/pinion death but is really caused by the LSD clutches, but we don't have that problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Fishers, IN
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 AM

Well tonight I did some tests on the way home from work. The noise isn't there when im going under 35, anything over 35 it makes the noise and I don't have to corner real hard. So if im going 50 mph and I kinda swerve like back in fourth into lanes (like ricers or nascar guys do) and it does it, it does it worst when I corner real hard. I did circles in my work parking lot at like 15mph and I cornered real hard and it didn't do it, so its only doing it when im above 35 mph. Now I did have my tires rotated when I got my new wheels(I used the same tires that were on my konigs) I doubt that they did anything wrong.My wheels are made buy kumho, I don't know if its a decent tire or not. Its weired cuz it does kinda feel like the tires, the faster I'm going the faster the thump sound is. Well I will see what happens this weekend when I change my wheels maybe on Wednesday . Let me know what you think.

Bump

Last edited by 07hhr; 05-20-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Well tonight I did some tests on the way home from work. The noise isn't there when im going under 35, anything over 35 it makes the noise and I don't have to corner real hard. So if im going 50 mph and I kinda swerve like back in fourth into lanes (like ricers or nascar guys do) and it does it, it does it worst when I corner real hard. I did circles in my work parking lot at like 15mph and I cornered real hard and it didn't do it, so its only doing it when im above 35 mph. Now I did have my tires rotated when I got my new wheels(I used the same tires that were on my konigs) I doubt that they did anything wrong.My wheels are made buy kumho, I don't know if its a decent tire or not. Its weired cuz it does kinda feel like the tires, the faster I'm going the faster the thump sound is. Well I will see what happens this weekend when I change my wheels maybe on Wednesday . Let me know what you think.

Bump
If its speed related, it could be a broken belt in one of the tires. Look for a lump somewhere on the tires, if its bad there will be a smooth spot where the tread is worn down more in that one spot.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM

now that i think about it when it started i had to lock up my brakes due to some dumb ass pulling out in front of me, and only the passenger side tired locked up skidded. maybe when that happened it broke a belt.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM

now that i think about it when it started i had to lock up my brakes due to some dumb ass pulling out in front of me, and only the passenger side tired locked up skidded. maybe when that happened it broke a belt.
Or, depending on how long you skidded, you may have flat-spotted the tire. That would cause the same effect.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM

i bet it's a upper or lower control arm busing. same thing happened to a buddy of mine. resolved the problem. covered under warranty.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM

Or, depending on how long you skidded, you may have flat-spotted the tire. That would cause the same effect.
id say about 30-40 feet
Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM

id say about 30-40 feet
I'd have them check that tire out carefully, it will be something on that one. Either a flat spot, broken belt, or something like that. You might see it yourself if its obvious. A road-force balancer will pinpoint the spot on the tire, and then they can look and see what it is.

Quick Reply: Bumping noise when turning