Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Canadian Lemon Law, Arbitration and CAMVAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Lemon Law, Arbitration and CAMVAP

Hey All,

I have had huge problems with my 2010 SS T/C from the product level to the dealership to the Corporate level.

The car has been in 21 time over 2 years for various problems even though I baby the car and when my shock blew, my ebrake failed and my key got stuck in the ignition (not to mention the incredible squealing from stock brakes even though they were replaced) I have decided it is the last straw.

I've been looking through the posts seeing various issues with our cars and wanted to know how many people have been successful in actually having GM buy back or even remedy their dissatisfaction and I'm sure for myself and everyone thinking about a solution this thread could be helpful.

Its a shame, I've been a GM advocate for years but with the recent lack of service and willingness to help fix a product (and as far as I am concerned a brand problem) I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth for anything General Motors.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Lynx,

I want to apologize that you have had so many troubles with your Cobalt and that you have not found satisfaction in working with us. As you are Canadian, have you contacted GM of Canada (Customer Assistance) in the past? They can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST), although I realize given the tone and content of your post that you are looking for other avenues.

Kind regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
brakes squeeling is common with high performance brakes, the lock cylinder issue has been remedied with a simple dealership replacement. as for the rest sorry to hear bro... depite it not being the most reliable car on the planet, GM has always done what was required to keep me happy and make sure my car is up and running. when it wasn't i always had a rental. part of the price of owning a cheap go fast sports car.

sorry for you badluck bro. I think you need to have the same issue 3 times unrectified before you can return your car under the lemon law but i could be wrong. goodluck!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Interesting. I'm looking in going to arbitration as well. I have over 50 pages of service work on my car and I've had it for 2 years as well. If things go through, I'll let you know.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Its not likely that you'll find anyone who successfully sold back there car on here since they wouldnt care to be a member anymore.

We all had the brake problem, thats my one and only grip with GM about this car. They didnt care about the customers when they had to replace their rotors and pads on BRAND NEW cars. Everything else I was okay with since the dealers took care of it. Steering column thing, ignition lock, charge pipe popping off, exploding intercoolers, and cracking lower charge pipes. The car is a great car when you dont have all the experiences listed.

If your car is in good condition now, someone looking for a used 10 cobalt SS will be a happy camper.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been dealing with GM for months, I just starting to give all my info to my lawyer and going from there. I know they claim they will be it back if it has less than like 60k or something like that.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Only 21 issues, your one of the lucky ones. Cobalts should of come in only one color, Yellow
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

They fixed most of the issues with my car. My main gripe is the doors. They both would rub the frame of the car. Well, they fixed the driver door, but this is how my passenger door sits and still rubs and GM says there is nothing more that they can do.

The driver said looks like this:

Which is what the passenger side should like IMO, but instead, looks like this:

Am I being to **** about this? /skeptical
Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
no your not, I have the door issue too lol! there is paint missing at the top of the door frame and door on all four doors and also the bottom part of the door looks TERRIBLE.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by demento
Only 21 issues, your one of the lucky ones. Cobalts should of come in only one color, Yellow
I resent the implication (see sig pic).

ok... kidding aside, wow 21 times?

I have had two significant engine "hicckups" ~ but aside from that nothing huge.
My subwoofer wasn't intstalled correctly and eventually basically fell off ~ to which my original dealer blamed me for the issue (a-holes!!!) ~ that prompted my servicing dealer change.
I know we have the recall on the electric steering assist...
I also know of that sticking key issue, and that it has been identified as a problem, and should be fixed no questions asked...
I know about our brakes ~ after thinking I had a handle on it (I do my own service work), I found that I didn't, and worked with my dealer before it became a real problem... I have non-OEM GM replacement rear pads... and no issues - if someone was to let things slide to where a bunch of work needed to be done, I could see a dealer being much more reluctant to try to help you out... (for example my rear rotors are OEM, and have never been resurfaced.)
I had my passenger seatbelt replaced under warranty when it was found to be causing an airbag message on my DIC.
I had both bow ties replaced because in about a year and a half, the originals were coming apart...
But there's nothing that immediately comes to mind that has really caused me grief...
(well, except for the ****-poor paint quality)

I feel that many people who find big faults with our cars seem to think that it's something it isn't ~ it's a compact Chevrolet - not come high end Caddilac/bimmer...

Originally Posted by Eurasianman
They fixed most of the issues with my car. My main gripe is the doors. They both would rub the frame of the car. Well, they fixed the driver door, but this is how my passenger door sits and still rubs and GM says there is nothing more that they can do.

Am I being to **** about this? /skeptical
nope.

Door alignment is one of the first things I had my local dealer (read: second; not purchasing dealer) look at.
My first dealer basically shrugged their shoulders and [u]sold[u] me a paint pen...
My local dealer, re-aligned the door, touched up the paint, and gave me a paint pen... (right there, I knew I found a better dealer)
The trouble with body/alignment issues like this seems to be that most dealers these days no longer have a body shop - so they don't have people with the skills to fix alignment issues...
My local dealer recently moved, their new facility does not have a body shop, but I don't doubt that some of their staff in the trim department (or what every they call it now) are former body shop employees...

That being said, my drivers door - does rub the upper rear of my door opening... the issue has not been able to be replicated outside of the car by myself or the staff at said dealer...
Regarding this, I know one of the big changes that GM set out to address was body gaps, and tolerances - traditionally they had, and been mocked for large gaps...
(I have sales staff training dvd's, and one of the points that GM told sales staff to point out was the tolerances, and tight gaps on the (new for 2005) Cobalt...
but the large gaps meant less issues like what I'm seeing...
It had been suggest ed that if the weather strip isn't seated right that this happens... but I don't know if I'm buying it...

Have you tried going to a legit body shop to see if they might be able to adjust your passenger door properly?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
Door alignment is one of the first things I had my local dealer (read: second; not purchasing dealer) look at.
My first dealer basically shrugged their shoulders and [u]sold[u] me a paint pen...
My local dealer, re-aligned the door, touched up the paint, and gave me a paint pen... (right there, I knew I found a better dealer)
The trouble with body/alignment issues like this seems to be that most dealers these days no longer have a body shop - so they don't have people with the skills to fix alignment issues...
My local dealer recently moved, their new facility does not have a body shop, but I don't doubt that some of their staff in the trim department (or what every they call it now) are former body shop employees...

That being said, my drivers door - does rub the upper rear of my door opening... the issue has not been able to be replicated outside of the car by myself or the staff at said dealer...
Regarding this, I know one of the big changes that GM set out to address was body gaps, and tolerances - traditionally they had, and been mocked for large gaps...
(I have sales staff training dvd's, and one of the points that GM told sales staff to point out was the tolerances, and tight gaps on the (new for 2005) Cobalt...
but the large gaps meant less issues like what I'm seeing...
It had been suggest ed that if the weather strip isn't seated right that this happens... but I don't know if I'm buying it...

Have you tried going to a legit body shop to see if they might be able to adjust your passenger door properly?
The car has been to two different dealerships. The first one being where I bought the car. The second dealership was about 45 minutes away from me and they took a look at it, called GM, and GM told them that all repair attempts for this vehicle have been made and nothing else could be done.

Now, this has all been covered under warranty. If I were to go to a legit body shop, I'd probably have to pay for it unless I could get GM to cover it, but I doubt it. I've been on the phone with GM since December trying to get my issues resolved with my vehicle. They also declined to buy my vehicle back because they see nothing wrong with it So now, I'm working with the BBB and am possibly going to arbitration.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
no your not, I have the door issue too lol! there is paint missing at the top of the door frame and door on all four doors and also the bottom part of the door looks TERRIBLE.
had this issue as well.. fixed under warranty.. drivers side front and rear right
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=soundjunky;6464665]I resent the implication (see sig pic).

It's just that lemons are yellow and not a personal attack on your car.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM

That door thing i have it too hahaha on my driver side though when car is dirty damn that looks bad..
but i think yours is really something mine is not that bad..
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by demento
It's just that lemons are yellow and not a personal attack on your car.
thanks "Captian-Obvoius"

Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Well, GM has denied a repurchase of my vehicle for the second time, so I'm going to arbitration with them. Will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Well, went to arbitration. No repurchase. GM gets to try and fix my door... AGAIN even after I sent a final repair letter and they said no further work could be done previously.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Jesus Christ it's a 20k car it's going to have squeaks, rattles and imperfections. Not to mention they cheaped out a lot on the non moving parts of the car. Someone as **** as yourself (not a bad thing or meant to be an insult) should sell it and look into a better built car. I personally have some nicer cars and trucks but see past all the little **** problems and imperfections because of how fun the car is to drive.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Its not likely that you'll find anyone who successfully sold back there car on here since they wouldnt care to be a member anymore.

We all had the brake problem, thats my one and only grip with GM about this car. They didnt care about the customers when they had to replace their rotors and pads on BRAND NEW cars. Everything else I was okay with since the dealers took care of it. Steering column thing, ignition lock, charge pipe popping off, exploding intercoolers, and cracking lower charge pipes. The car is a great car when you dont have all the experiences listed.

If your car is in good condition now, someone looking for a used 10 cobalt SS will be a happy camper.
My co-worker's relative went thru arbitration on a 2009 SS/TC I believe it was and after a long uphill battle he won out and GM bought the car back, but not for full price. Mind you he had far more severe issues with the powertrain over and over again, not with aesthetics, etc. so not sure what kind of leverage the OP has in this case but it's not impossible even though Canada's "lemon law" doesn't really exist.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me Too!