Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car is dead

So i get home from work today to find out my car doesn't start... It had happend two night before as well. Got a boost... thought maybe i left some interior lights on or something... Made nothing of it. But I am positive that nothing was left on this time. Weird thing though. It only boast from the terminal in the engine bay. It did not work from the battery as i tried that first. I am going to bring it in to the dealer ship as i am at 59,000 km's right now. Any ideas what it could be?? I have chasis lights that were not on... I know that is not the prb but figured i would inform everyone just incase. Look forward to what any one has to say. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Black_bullet_ss
So i get home from work today to find out my car doesn't start... It had happend two night before as well. Got a boost... thought maybe i left some interior lights on or something... Made nothing of it. But I am positive that nothing was left on this time. Weird thing though. It only boast from the terminal in the engine bay. It did not work from the battery as i tried that first. I am going to bring it in to the dealer ship as i am at 59,000 km's right now. Any ideas what it could be?? I have chasis lights that were not on... I know that is not the prb but figured i would inform everyone just incase. Look forward to what any one has to say. Thanks!
Could you turn your lights on? If not it's the battery, if so it's probably the starter and/or alternator. Even if the battery is dead it still may be the alternator not recharging your battery as you drive. My opinion may be wrong.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 174 Likes on 135 Posts
the car would not just die because nothing was left on... and what do you mean by chasis lights, and how are they wired up? and when you tried to jump the car with the cables on the battery there is no reason that it shouldn't have worked. I've done mine both ways and no problems...

when you get the car started go to the trunk and disconnect the battery if the car stays running its the battery if the car dies its the alternator. If it is the battery there has to be something draining it.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM

thanks for the quick reply guys! Im thinking it the alternator too. Nothing in the car would go on. No interior lights or locks, nothing! And it only working when i boosted it from the terminal in the engine bay.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black_bullet_ss
thanks for the quick reply guys! Im thinking it the alternator too. Nothing in the car would go on. No interior lights or locks, nothing! And it only working when i boosted it from the terminal in the engine bay.
no problem thats what we are here for....
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM

so i got it running and disconnected the battery and the car stayed on... What could be draining the battery??
Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM

o k so its not the alternator.... you said something about chasis lights? what are those and how are they wired?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
Could you turn your lights on? If not it's the battery, if so it's probably the starter and/or alternator. Even if the battery is dead it still may be the alternator not recharging your battery as you drive. My opinion may be wrong.
had this same problem you are right mine was loose wires on the alternator wouldnt jumpstart from the batt. and after i got the car running it would only run for a couple miles before going dead because of electronice ignition and brakes ect... so you might have them check the wireing on the alt that gose form the alt to the batt. thats where my problem was and it wasnt chargeing the batt and wouldnt get enuff connection. to turn over the engine.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by nuttzzy
had this same problem you are right mine was loose wires on the alternator wouldnt jumpstart from the batt. and after i got the car running it would only run for a couple miles before going dead because of electronice ignition and brakes ect... so you might have them check the wireing on the alt that gose form the alt to the batt. thats where my problem was and it wasnt chargeing the batt and wouldnt get enuff connection. to turn over the engine.
That's really good thought I didn't think of that because i never had that problem but I will remember that for ever now
Old 08-16-2008, 07:36 PM

awesome. well I am going to take it in tomorrow. And i am buying a yellow top anyways so i can run my system. Thanks for all the input. I will let you know what the dealership says.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the battery terminals. It's commonplace for them to corrode and go bad in our cars. It's a poor design.

I believe there is also a TSB out on it so you can bring it in for warranty repair
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM

lol its kinda funny but this guy said he has chasis light? What are chasis lights? Underglow? and he won't say how its wired up but he knows thats not the problem? I think those light are killing it and he just don't want to admit that he wired them up wrong...
Old 08-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Check for a loose connection around the alternator. My car started sluggishly about a month ago and then completely died on me at 80mph in traffic, there was a loose connection between the starter the dealership claimed and it wasnt charging my battery. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
lol its kinda funny but this guy said he has chasis light? What are chasis lights? Underglow? and he won't say how its wired up but he knows thats not the problem? I think those light are killing it and he just don't want to admit that he wired them up wrong...
Sounds like some good old fashion neon (or led). Still...it might just be a bunk battery.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 AM

No i wired them all correct Thanks, I have had them on for over a year now. That is not the problem.