Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car not starting, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car not starting, no spark

Hey everyone, my car took a s*** on me while driving it the other day and I am at a loss of what to check. It's an 05 SS 148k miles and basically stock except for CAI. The car started running rough Monday night at a stop sign, and upon taking off and making it to the next stop sign, it died. Car would crank but would not start. No CEL was on either. Eventually I got it towed home. For the hell of it I tried starting it again and it fired up and was running fine. The next morning I took it to a shop for some unrelated work and after they were done working on it, it once again would not fire. It has not been able to start since then. They were closing so I was unable to have them look at it but I took it home and tinkered with it for a bit. Here's what I have come up with so far:

-Changed the camshaft sensor (still cranks but no spark)

-Tested all of the relays and fuses in both fuse boxes, all relays clicked and showed 0 resistance

-Checked that all wires were plugged in, could not find anything loose

-Checked fuel pressure, seems to be fine

-Changed plugs (I knew this wasnt the fix but it was time anyway)

-Tested spark on the outside cylinders, both no spark. I assume all 4 arent firing but please correct me if this is incorrect thinking

I am now at a loss for what to do. I called a few shopsshops and they said they could start working on it mid next week. Instead of sitting around waiting, I'd like to try to fix it over the weekend. I searched through the forums and found similar issues but none of the solutions are helping me. I thought it could be the ICM but some memebers say I have an ICM and others say I do not so I have no idea which it is. Has anyone else had a similar issue or any ideas of what/how to do additional tests?
Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
LSJ is coil on Plug not ICM. Car throwing any codes?

If multiple coils aren't firing then you know it's a power issue.

Make sure your battery is good and putting out proper voltage. Make sure all of your grounding wires are attached properly. Trace the coil pack wire back and make sure they are in good condition.

Sounds to me like a loose ground or something, but who knows without more tests.

Also you might try a compression test to see if the motor is still good.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
No spark on an LSJ is usually a faulty CKP, crank position sensor. They fail intermittently, when hot, and don't always set codes, although you will get a P0335 from time to time if you're lucky.

Just replace it, they are only about $40 and if it's original it's on borrowed time anyway.