Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Won't Start

Car wouldn't start yesterday morning. Drove home from work the previous evening and everything was just fine, then wouldn't start Tuesday morning, as well as last night and this afternoon after trying some basic things. Got my interceptor to come on...it's not the battery and there are no codes either. Checked all wires/wiring to sensors to see if I'd get lucky and find something loose, of course that would be too easy lol found nothing abnormal looking. Tried checking some fuses, but the ones I feel that could be an issue of something related are the bigger "fat" fuses, so idk how to check to see if these are blown. When I try to start the car it attempts to crank several times, just like it does on a normal startup, except it obviously doesn't turn over so it continues to crank a few times and then nothing...the only thing I have yet to check that is basic are the plugs because I don't have a driver extension at my house where I live for school. My tuner thinks it's possibly a sensor issue; thoughts on what the problem is or could be?

For reference, it's an 06 SS/SC
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM

Bump
Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 PM

It's the heat, we're having the same issue with our Blazer. All we were told is that instead of letting it crank over and over just try to turn it over in short spurts. But if it continued it was possibly the fuel pump. Good Luck
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM

I'm not "manually" cranking it, flick the key and let go like usual and let it go through its own "cycle" which usually is a car start, but now it's just helplessly cranking and nothing
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think its the fuel pump you could try banging the gas tank in that area.its worked for me on older cars to get me home(like hitting a starter when the brushes go to start the car).
Do you here the fuel pump when the key is first turned on and the car is not started?

If its not the fuel pump you should smell gas fumes pretty good from the exhaust after numerous tries.

Remove your plugs and clean them as well ,could be fouled.

Cam or crank sensor could of went on it.

Last edited by Coblasts; 07-21-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM

a checklist
1-fuel in tank
2-battery terminal connections loose or corroded
3-leaking fuel(injectors, pump, regulator), fuel pressure
4-worn, fulty or incorrect spark plug gap
5-wires loose or disconnected at the ignition coil or faulty coils
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 AM

^ this.

if you drove it home, shut it off and now it wont start it is something simple.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by JimmiLS05
It's the heat, we're having the same issue with our Blazer. All we were told is that instead of letting it crank over and over just try to turn it over in short spurts. But if it continued it was possibly the fuel pump. Good Luck
I highly doubt it's from heat

Originally Posted by ben_gary
a checklist
1-fuel in tank
This.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 AM

vtac solenoid .

real talk, do a load test on your battery. fully charge the battery overnight and then do a load test on it.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 06arrivalSC
Car wouldn't start yesterday morning. Drove home from work the previous evening and everything was just fine, then wouldn't start Tuesday morning, as well as last night and this afternoon after trying some basic things. Got my interceptor to come on...it's not the battery and there are no codes either. Checked all wires/wiring to sensors to see if I'd get lucky and find something loose, of course that would be too easy lol found nothing abnormal looking. Tried checking some fuses, but the ones I feel that could be an issue of something related are the bigger "fat" fuses, so idk how to check to see if these are blown. When I try to start the car it attempts to crank several times, just like it does on a normal startup, except it obviously doesn't turn over so it continues to crank a few times and then nothing...the only thing I have yet to check that is basic are the plugs because I don't have a driver extension at my house where I live for school. My tuner thinks it's possibly a sensor issue; thoughts on what the problem is or could be?
What work was done? Was it electrical, mechanical, or tuning? If the battery has enough juice to turn the engine over I wouldn't expect it to be battery. (I mean, still check it.). I would actually start with the fuel pump fuse and make sure it's fine. It should be a 15amp fuse under the hood.

(someone correct me here if I'm wrong, this is off the top of my head and I'm at work.)
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ben_gary
a checklist
1-fuel in tank

Originally Posted by LS6Rally

if you drove it home, shut it off and now it wont start it is something simple.
Number 1 is a given, had checked number 2; already know my plugs are fine and are correctly gapped because I gapped them, checked number 5, checked part of 3, injectors were fine, but I'm not exactly sure how I would check fuel pressure. Banged the fuel tank some in case it was the fuel pump, hoping I would get lucky and rattle something and be able to maybe get it started temporarily...

Being that this is my daily driver and I work everyday, I didn't have time to mess around with it day after day aka I needed my car back ASAP, especially as it's getting dark after I get home from work and I don't have a garage or all of the tools I might need. I didn't have time to wait to find a time for my buddies to come help with stuff. Had it flatbedded away, it was the fuel pump.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM

This sounds very similar to an issue I had a little over a year ago, check the engine to chassis ground wire at the block. Mine had somehow come loose and was causing intermitent starting issues. As soon as I tightened it up the problem was gone. Very simple, but very annoying and hard to diagnose.