Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cobalt SS Trans bad for third time HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt SS Trans bad for third time HELP!

My 2008 cobalt SS has had the trans replaced twice under warranty once around 50k miles then at 95k miles back in June of 2013, now after this replacement trans had a minor leak and a bolt that did not seem to be a proper bolt where it was leaking. my brother has been driving this car since October 2013, December of 2013 is when leak was noticed at Spirit Ford Service department where I work as a Ford Technician, I checked the level and added the proper GM fluid I had bought when the last trans had a bad bearing. Back in May the vehicle was taken into Heritage Chevrolet in Battle Creek MI for the ignition recall, and to check for a fluid leak of the trans, my brother says they topped it off under its warranty, since he could not leave the vehicle for the week they requested do to no loaner car available. Then about 15 days ago he took it back to the dealer for an oil change and to check the trans fluid level at 111,808 miles, on the repair order it states change oil, and check all fluids, when specifically asked for trans only, they reported on the multi-point inspection under fluids trans was not checked. now the car is at DeNooyer Chevrolet in Kalamazoo near where the car broke down with 112,829 miles. the technician there reported there was no fluid in the trans period. They have charged us so far $700 to tear down the trans, found a bearing had over heated and seized. Note this is the same bearing that had went bad with last trans that had all the fluid in it. My brother has contacted the service manager at Heritage and he has told us to contact GM. Also want to state that the clutch is all in need of replacement, was told that it looks as if it slipped and burned up the fly wheel and pressure plate, I think this was caused by the fact the vehicle would not move when the bearing had gone bad. I have know of several forum treads reporting to these transmissions having problems, and have had two go bad with full fluid.

I have emailed GM with no response this car has been down for 3 weeks now, and id like some answers. I cant believe GM re-manufactured transmissions would be this crappy, that's two transmissions that were re-mans gone bad the first was original with a bad syncro that the tech broke.

Please GM rep on here respond

Thank you
Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
The trans isn't crappy; you ran the thing out of fluid. It's just a coincidence that the same bearing failed.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24
The trans isn't crappy; you ran the thing out of fluid. It's just a coincidence that the same bearing failed.
And it sounds like a driver mod is needed. Generally the trans breaks a gear, not throw a bearing or syncor
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I did not run it out of fluid, the dealer didn't top it off when asked to.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
And it sounds like a driver mod is needed. Generally the trans breaks a gear, not throw a bearing or syncor
oh wow we got a wise guy here, cars been driven as a daily unmoded for its entire life, never raced, and you think a driver mod is needed, ive had two manuals before the SS with no trans problems, the SS has been garbage since I bought it.