Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cold Start - Engine Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cold Start - Engine Hesitation

I have an odd problem, that has been plaguing my car for a while now (almost a year I would say)

It started when I made the switch to e85, but I have not seen much posted on this so I can not think that the problem lies only in that.

When it is cold outside, it originally would take me 3+ tries to start (the colder the longer), had Tim @ ZZP adjust cold start fueling and that problem was fixed.

The problem that hasn't been fixed still though, is massive hesitation once any amount of gas is applied. If i "Flick" the gas pedal quickly, the rpm's drop and then catch themselves.

If I try to drive extremely easy at this point, i can use first gear, once i switch to second gear, the car feels like it will die, lurching in a similar manner to when someone stalls the car getting out of first. If i then push the clutch back in and slowly release it again, it gets into second gear and drives normal.

Once i warm the car up until it shows a coolant temperature over 70*, then it will drive normally.

The only other thing I can think is the injectors were installed at the same time as all this started with the e85, but I have re-installed them with no luck on anything changing.

Modifications That could relate to this issue:
- 1 Step colder NGK Coppers (Changed multiple times since this started, also tried stock heat range)
- e85 Tune (Dyno Tune done @ ZZP in Michigan)
-Smaller pully (i think 2.7?)
-ZZP Cat Back
-ZZP Downpipe w/high-flow cat
-80# Injectors
-New Fuel Filter

If you need to know anything else just ask, any other mods I have that may be related also ask.

I will try and remember to post a video of this in the morning, it only does it on cold starts from sitting overnight below 70*
Old 04-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Welcome to cold starts on corn... Fairly common. A lot of people will switch back to normal gas during the winter around here. I store my car so I don't have to deal with that.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM

From what I have read though, the issue is truly only cold starting on e85, this is massive hesitation when driving once the car is started and not warmed up for at least a few minutes. This still applies with outside temperatures of 60*
Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by guess1
From what I have read though, the issue is truly only cold starting on e85, this is massive hesitation when driving once the car is started and not warmed up for at least a few minutes. This still applies with outside temperatures of 60*
That's pretty standard too. Corn is really picky. You learn to let it warm up for a minute or two, and it's good to go.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 AM

Grrr...why cant things be wrong so they can be fixed...im sick of this "normal"

One last problem...occasionally when the car is warm, I will give it say 1/2 - 3/4 gas in 2nd gear to make a stop light or something (in mexico), it goes no-power...no-power...lurch with full power. Any ideas?

If I should make a new thread let me know
Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitnith
That's pretty standard too. Corn is really picky. You learn to let it warm up for a minute or two, and it's good to go.
this. If the fuel is cold it doesn't evaporate at the same rate. You might look into a e47 tune for the winter
Old 04-27-2014, 02:47 PM

No way! Once the car warms its fine, I'll take a 2-3 minute warmup over using multiple pumps at a pre-pay only station -- Ain't nobody got time for that!

I'll make a new thread about my other issue, thank you.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by guess1
No way! Once the car warms its fine, I'll take a 2-3 minute warmup over using multiple pumps at a pre-pay only station -- Ain't nobody got time for that!

I'll make a new thread about my other issue, thank you.

Like I said, I don't know many people who will run on straight E85 during the winter in Chicago. The blend changes, and it's not true E85. You're better off just going back to normal 93 for winter.

Also, check your pump out where you fill up. It seems a lot of the "E85" pumps are switching to "Flexpumps" and it says right on them they are only 53% ethanol minimum, when it used to say 81%. Since the flexfuel cars can re-tune on the fly, they are getting sloppy with how much ethanol is in the blend.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 PM

Ran fine with no throttle hesitation first 1/2 of the winter (past the coldest month of 0* temps). Only been a past couple of month problem since its warmed up more.

Running e85 in the winter isn't all that bad, switch cold crank fueling to 190% and let her warm up, just stuck on this throttle hesitation now.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Try running stock heat range plugs. I no longer have issues on cold starts.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by lsjion
Try running stock heat range plugs. I no longer have issues on cold starts.
Its in the first post, already tried going back to stock heat range. End up much worse for me, misfire after full throttle runs almost guaranteed then