Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dealing with GM... Anyone did this before??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dealing with GM... Anyone did this before??

I bought my car almost a month ago. It was a nightmare for the most part. They gave me a free tank of gas for my troubles. (the car was delivered late, very late) there were paperwork issues, the dash has 2 holes in it, the wrong car was delivered, they made me comeback and resign a new contract 3 weeks later with a higher intrest rate with almost 2000 miles on it, threatned to repo if I didnt sign it then) anyways, I get my survey from GM , and a letter from the dealership stating that they want me to be COMPLETLY SATIFIED. BS! They are getting a bad review. I wrote a 3 page letter expaling the details of the purchase and I am sending a copy to the dealer and GM customer service. What will most likely happen? I am happy with the car, its what we expected, but as far as buying from that dealership again- forget it. I am worried the dealership will null and void the contract and ask for the car back....AGAIN! I am thinking of purchising a full size truck for work, and i told them in the letter, are they going to try and smooze me over with somthing or will my complaint be filed in a cabinet in some corner for use as a statistic for later? I am interested if anyone has done the same thing. To be honest, the only thing they could do for me to make me hppy is give me the car (I know this is'nt going to happen) or let me trade in for a new one.. which I would obviously get an SS/SC. Tell me whats up guys..

Old 08-14-2006, 06:18 PM

When I bought the vibe, I had issues with last dealership (dueck) ****** suck, trying to get my windows fixed,and then when I wanted the G5 Gt they tried to take me.So I phoned Gm canada a number of times complaining, eventually they sent me a coupon for 2 grand and told me to go to Barnes wheaton for a deal, went to that dealership and they took off even more money and I walked away happy, morale of this...it is sometimes worth it to whine a little.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 PM

When I got my letter I through it away. I wish I'd have taken the time to fill it out and tell them what I think of GM and the crap they hand out.

Last edited by bignugly; 08-14-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM

Big mistake, throwing the letter away...its how the dealerships get graded, to a large extent...you want to screw the dealer, you give him a scorching review...

How did they get you to sign a new contract? I would have held them to the old one, if it were to your advantage....

And the squeaky wheel does get the grease...complain a lot to GM. Be polite, and include accurate details/times/people.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Forseti
Big mistake, throwing the letter away...its how the dealerships get graded, to a large extent...you want to screw the dealer, you give him a scorching review...

How did they get you to sign a new contract? I would have held them to the old one, if it were to your advantage....

And the squeaky wheel does get the grease...complain a lot to GM. Be polite, and include accurate details/times/people.
Exactly, you can get free oil changes and other crap
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 PM

this just in your letter just got trashed
Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Well, basically I am not a latagious person. I dont go and whine for fun. I rarely do it. I have a hard time sending food back at the restraunt, ya know? I do think I got it hard though. The dealer (I dont know if I can say, or if it would be wise to) acted like it was nothing and were your best friend. I know it is typical BUT THEY WERE GOOD AT IT. They quoted me a finance charge and rate, I signed the contract and went on my way, then they renig'd on it two weeks later and said no bank would finance me. I knew it was crap, it was my 2nd purchase and my credit aint bad. They called and said come in. I did. I get there, they say sign the new contract, (1500 miles on the car now) or we take the car. No chance to go to my bank and get it financed for much less. They said they will call the police on me if I leave with the car. They claim they tried calling and left messages. NOT. They calim they sent me leteers (certified mail) saying to come in, I live in a gated community and we have mailboxes. I get really really pissed and yell. They counter and lower the price of the vehicle 800 bucks. I reluctantly sign. This is just the start of it. Well I called other dealerships and they said sometimes that happens. There are clauses in the contract that include they can at any time void your contract.

The two holes in the dash board and wires hanging. I posted on this earlier.

Not returnning phone calls from the General Manager of the dealership after the 2nd contract issue.

I think becouse I am a white boy and young they thought I was rich. Really. They acted like it. Not to be racial or anything.

They basically redated the contract, and changed the price and finance charge. They didnt compensate for the mileage now on the car, or the warrenty miles. I bought the 75,000 package.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM

Well...next time, READ the contract, even though it is a big pain.

Don't sign if you don't like...

Usually better to get financing through a bank, or subsidized financing from GM as part of an incentive with a ridiculously low interest rate...not through the dealership's choice of partners....

Heck, when I buy a car, I even jot down the VIN of the car I'm buying and make sure all the paperwork has the same one....I've heard stories of the vehicle you *think* you're buying not being the same one as on the paperwork....
Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 PM

I would fight with them tooth and nail, hell if you paying $20,000k for a car you should be the one calling the shots not them.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Its been a good 2 months. I have heard nothing. Where it was built, in OH, the plant called to see if I had any questions. The dealer has never contacted me. Just thought I would update you....
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

first off if there were holes in the dash i would have never accepted delivery!! second if it were the wrong car i would have never accepted delivery!! third if they asked me to come back in and sign a new note with a higher interest reate i would have told them to go **** themselves!! once the contract is signed my you and the rep at the dealership it is leagally binding. as long as you are holding up to your end of the contract they have no legal grounds to repo your car. i would have let them repo the car and then sued their asses!!! my friend that is bullshit! i would CALL GM and register this complaint to make sure it gets the proper attention! at the very least i would have made the dealership lower the price on the car enough to compensat you for the additional interest you were going to be charged because of the higher interest rate on the loan
Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Yeah, thats what I thought. Once you sign, it has a clause saying that it is the dealerships INTENTION to get you the intrest rate on the contract. No guarntees. There is also a clause the dealer can end the contract anytime. Sounds stupid but its the truth. In CA, there are other laws, like the consumer can end the contract within like 10 days of purchase.. Anyways, I thought that they would try to make things right, funnything is that I wrote them a 500 check, and it was returned.....they never called or said anything to me.. So I guess I got them there, or that was their "Im sorry". I was more pumped than you, but I ended up refinancing anyways..

2 mths. after having it, it got smashed by some drunk sitting in the parking lot of Dennys. No one seen it. Took the WHOLE drivers side door, .25 panel and wheel and tire. 3500 bucks in damage. I had the body shop take off that stupid ricer wing for an extra 200 bucks. Get it back tommorrow.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Banned

man that sucks about your car!!! atleast you are getting it fixed the way you want it though! the dealerships are rat bastards!!!! what rate did you get initally and end up with if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:39 PM

Those surveys are the dealerships report cards and i've always been told not to fill it out if u are not completely satisfied and call the dealership up and see what they can do to make u fill it out completely satisfied... I'd say **** 'em. Fill the whole thing out not satisfied at all and write what u feel.. that's terrible.. whats the worst that can happen?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 PM

well first off all you should have never singed the contact till you see the car thats what i did they wanted me to sign the contract and they will diliver that car i tiold mario No and i'll walk out two days later he calls and tells me thay have the car so i go over and it's not supercahged and red i wanted black with superchared he told me that i had no choice but to take the car i told him to go f*(&# your self and left any ways you can take the car to an other dealer and have them work on it only the factory can void the warrenty not the dealer Gm tells them yes or no
Old 10-27-2006, 03:47 PM

the dealer that i went to sucked as well, i was financed thru gmac, the money was there and everything, they call me an try to tell me that gmac wouldnt finance me, and that they want to go thru a local bank, so i called gmac, and they tell me that the dealership is lying, if you are pre approved then then your approved, the dealer was trying to save some money by trying to make me go thru the bank that they get to finance the vehicles that they put on their lot, this way the more business they give the bank, the better the rates they pay to the bank for the cars on there lot until they are sold
Old 10-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Funny (sad really) that my dealer pulled the same crap with the interest rate. I had a rate of 6.9% thru GMAC. A week later they call me and ask me to come back in to resign some paperwork. They said that they gave me a rate on a 06, and that the 07 was 8.9%. And to top it off, my payment was due on Oct. 19, and I still have not received any paperwork from GMAC for me to start making payments.

On a side note, I’m starting to here that this is a common practice for stealerships now.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

when I bought my sedan I was signed into a 4.9% interest rate and they tried changing it to 5.9 and make me re-sign the contract. Needless to say when I went there and read it I told them to **** themselves and I am NOT signing for a higher rate. They said we will call local authorities for non-compliance. I said you know what?? let me do you the favor and call them. Well in the midst of calling they got nervous and asked me to hang up and I said no.

Cops showed and I explained what kind of pratice they were doing.. needless to say cops said I was in the right.. I left and I got home that afternoon and was asked to give the car back in voicemails from the dealerships. I called GMAC Financing and explained the pratice they were trying. The calls quickly stopped and my contract was honored. When I had to go in and get service I was told they will not service my car because I didn't agree to the inital contract set forward. That's fine I will go to another place to service my car , well they followed me out to my car and said "FINE! we will work on your car..." like hell you will! I said. I left and haven't looked back since.

Moral of the story. Don't screw around with the customer. We are all mighty and powerful.

NEVER sign anything without

1. Legal Representation
2. Calling GMAC
3. Getting original copy of contract to show

This is how they make there extra money.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 AM

yeah i had a laugh when i got my my car too.. while sighning papers i was told that id receive a survey in the mail, mark it completely satisfied and if im not happy with anything tell them and they'll make whatevers wrong right.. my wife works at the place that i bought my car so i know the people there and the dealer i went thru personally and they were very good to me and gave me one hell of a trade in value for my old car but how can they call it a survey if they tell you how to fill it out.. just funny...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM

a contract cannot be voided just cause they have a clause saying it can or else it wouldn't be a CONTRACT. They also can't just decide to renegotiate the contract especially if you have made any payment. if so you could almost pay the entire car off, have fifty bucks to pay left and they tell you the contract is voided. I don't think so. you are already the owner of that car. they do the finance check before you ever leave the dealer. Otherwise they would give cars to people who couldn't afford to even make one payment. also they would never see some of those cars again
Old 10-30-2006, 09:57 AM

Dealing With GM and Dealer

I've had my share of conversations with GM and Carfagno Chevrolet. The service manager at Carfagno has done everything in his power to keep me happy except walk on fire. (I'm working on that. ) GM sent me a check for $500 to compensate me for my trouble. Started as Trans problem which manifested into a shift pin problem, (twice), and now my shifter has to be replaced because the plastic cap with the shift numbers on it fell off and GM completely changed to design. Probably a good thing.

At this point I'm still planning to keep the Cobalt dispite new problems showing up but only because the dealer and GM seem to want to keep me happy. If they stop showing concern for my problems with my car, then I stop being concerned with avoiding legal solutions.

Problems fixed so far: 1.) Shifting fork fell off, 2.) Shift pin (twice), 3.) Front wheel bearing and hub.

Over all I am pleased with my dealer so far.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Well, Heres my deal. i signed my contract and the very next day wrecked my car. A few days later they call me and say they have to have me resign at a higher rate. Heres the deal though. If I have the resign that means the original contract in Null and void. Its not your car. It their car. So you play hard ball. They told me that and I was like sure....Just give me my old car back and you can have your wrecked car. Granted insurance companys would be fighting but I could do that because It was not my car. I refused to sign the contract. Low and behold guess what. I got financed at the interest rate I initially signed for. Thus negating me getting my old car back. They cannot force you to sign a new contact. You just give them their car back and go back on your way.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 AM

When I purchased mine I wanted a 5 speed and they didn't have it on the lot and they checked a couple more dealerships and I called all of the ones that I knew of in a 100 mile radius and came up with nothing. When I finished signing the salesman told me that they were going to send me a survey and if I filled it out completely satisfied to bring the Tahoe back and they would fill it up. It's still sitting here, after reading this I think I will fill it out accurately and send it in. Besides not having the 5 speed my experience was great.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
when I bought my sedan I was signed into a 4.9% interest rate and they tried changing it to 5.9 and make me re-sign the contract. Needless to say when I went there and read it I told them to **** themselves and I am NOT signing for a higher rate. They said we will call local authorities for non-compliance. I said you know what?? let me do you the favor and call them. Well in the midst of calling they got nervous and asked me to hang up and I said no.

Cops showed and I explained what kind of pratice they were doing.. needless to say cops said I was in the right.. I left and I got home that afternoon and was asked to give the car back in voicemails from the dealerships. I called GMAC Financing and explained the pratice they were trying. The calls quickly stopped and my contract was honored. When I had to go in and get service I was told they will not service my car because I didn't agree to the inital contract set forward. That's fine I will go to another place to service my car , well they followed me out to my car and said "FINE! we will work on your car..." like hell you will! I said. I left and haven't looked back since.

Moral of the story. Don't screw around with the customer. We are all mighty and powerful.

NEVER sign anything without

1. Legal Representation
2. Calling GMAC
3. Getting original copy of contract to show

This is how they make there extra money.
I think you are my hero now
Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 AM

Heres my story. I love my ride but........ the dealership I bought from sucks. I drove an hour to buy the car. No SS's on the lots up here. Why? Dont know. Needless to say I signed for VIN etching and did not get it. This dealership had a "closer" come in on me after I told the cool salesman I was dealing with I wanted only GAP ins. I get home I look it all over and whalaaaa, Sneaky **** slid an extra $497 for the etching. I got the survey and a reminder card so I called the dealership to complain. First I complain about the closing salesman and how he would not take no for an answer. THen they offer the missing key fob I did not get and to come in so they can do my ethcing. Why didn't they tell me when I left it was not on there? They did not give an IOU or anything. If this a-hole would of disclosed this to me, I would have said NO. I havent called back cuz the dealership MGR left me a voice mail leaving the same scumbag closer as my point of contact when I come in. Why didn't they disclose this to me? I was there for 3 1/2 hours. Anyways, I am sending off my survey with a letter complaining about that dealership. I just wonder if It will get my tires for life voided the more fuss I make. I also wonder if they have voided something legal if the VIN etching is not on the car. I paid for something I do not have.

OH yeah, the mgr said they were only helping me leave quickly that day cuz of my 3 yr old son getting rammy. More like they took advantage of me.
I figure the only thing they are obligated to do is to put the etching on and then harrass me when I come in for service. I signed for it so I see myself as phuct.

Last edited by budz1065; 11-05-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealing with GM... Anyone did this before??