Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

engine power reduced/engine disabled/car won't start! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magnetic
I would also just double check your battery connections, make sure your terminals are corrosion free ect.. trunk area can collect moisture pretty bad and cause some weird car problems.
I had a similar experience and this was the fix. get a battery post cleaner for less than 10$ and clean both the posts and the connections as well as the bolt where the ground is connected to the trunk floor. Mine pulled similar codes when this happened
Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 06 cobalt ls thats acting stranger by the min. The check engine light came on with a warning of engine pwr reduced. The car shut off while i was driving it. Well i replaced the throttle body. But the car still wont crank. The only code thats coming up i p0122. Now something is preventing the fuel from getting to the engine. I also replaced the fuel pump. Please help
The following users liked this post:
KiNGHoTWheelR (11-03-2023)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 PM

im frustrated to the max with this

I was driving to work car over heated an then when I got to a red light an went to a dead stop my car shut off an was locked in gear. An I couldn't get key out so it drained battery. Had to slam it in natural to get it out of intersection. An now my shifter slides without applying brakes. An I got it towed I jumped battery an it clicks when I try starting it. An gave me the engine reduce power light an I unplugged the ecu an all it said was power steering. An I never got a code. I even disconnected the ground an nothing has worked. An when I crank it over it has the check engine light click an the security light clicks also. An iv asked everyone I know to ask. Can someone please help me an tell me what I can do besides pay dealership more than ehat its worth to find out
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM

Ok so I have the 2.4 and just replaced it with the same motor and I'm having some trouble at first I couldn't get it to turn over or get spark so I figured it was security locked but it wasn't now it will turn over like every one and three try's but I'm still not getting spark and it won't allow me to turn it over every time any advice would help first time switching a cobalt motor out
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 cobalt ss/sc 2.0
Ive also had somewhat of the same issues, ive been having boost issues but i dont think this was a boost issue, got gas, made it about 20 miles, the car stalled to a stop, idled rough and then engine shut off on its own, cranked but would not turn over, had a friend rescue me from the side of the highway to go grab a SCIP/BARO sensor since ive been needing one, thought maybe that was the issue, car started after about 3 times of trying and all it would do was crank, the tow truck was already on the way s i just got it towed home, tried to start it to park it correctly in my driveway and it wouldnt start, the tow guy said it sounded like it wasnt getting gas, so he opened the gas cap and it started right up.... Vapor lock?! or something else? im attempting to fix it on my own so i need every single possible solution so i can trouble shoot. Thanks!!

i feel i should say i just got an engine swap and the guy who did it, didn't bolt the fuse box down so the fuse box along with the ECU are jiggling around when i drive among many other things he didnt connect correctly or at all, getting endless DTC codes popping up, most are related to the manifold absolute pressure, mass air flow, throttle body position correlation, Barometric pressure, engine control module, and intake air temperature. so if that helps... lol

Last edited by Ashlen Satori Morgan; 09-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Engine power reduced

I own a 2005 Cobalt the engine power reduced has happened to me many times I have so far figure it out it is originating from the air intake mine is an aftermarket cooler intake once it shows engine power reduced and you get the loud revving but the reduced speed put the car in park shut it off pop your hood unplug the cooler and take wait a couple seconds plug it back in and once you start the car up the issue should be resolved temporarily until it happens again and if you are using the AC in the vehicle this engine power reduced problem will happen more frequently because it is trying to suck in more 02 for the cooling of the AC. So if this problem happens to you often try driving with the AC off and when it happens make sure to unplug the cooler intake plug it back in after a few seconds and the problem should be resolved like I said until I happens again the car is sucking too much O2 for the engine to handle causing an engine power reduced message everybody saying it's wire harnesses or this and that when the problem is simply coming from the air intake just unplugging it fixes the issue without ever touching the battery meaning this is the source of the problem I have not yet fixed it I just unplug it when it happens I'm going to look further into the intake issue with the air and I will post an update on whether or not the problem was fixed
Old 10-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Engine power reduced (2)

Sorry I just reread what I had posted and my auto correct really messed with my spelling and grammar. But yes try unplugging your cool air intake next time u read engine power reduced. Wait a few seconds and plug it back in. The problem should stop temp. To get you driving again. I have noticed it happen more frequent when the a\c is on and or it is cold or rainy out side. But I'm not sure if the engine needs reprogramming for the airintke I just know it is the cool air intake causing the issue. Possibly from sucking too much o2 in the engine causing it to try and reducing the engine power due to too much o2. But as soon as the engine power reduce happens i put it in park and poo the hood I unplug the air intake wait a couple of seconds plug ut back in and the loud revving and vibrations stop as soon as I restart the car. I have to do this sometime multipal times in one trip where I may be driving to but it does stop the problem immediately. I just have to figure out if I need to reset the engine codes or replace the air intake on the car back to stock. But if anyone else trys and replaces their intake or a reprogramming before I am able to try myself please contact me at Charlieradlofff@gmail.com and inform on if it fixed the problem permanently hope this helps so your nit messing with your battery and wire harness when the problem is coming from cool air intake.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:48 PM

Engine power reduced (2)

Sorry I just reread what I had posted and my auto correct really messed with my spelling and grammar. But yes try unplugging your cool air intake next time u read engine power reduced. Wait a few seconds and plug it back in. The problem should stop temp. To get you driving again. I have noticed it happen more frequent when the a\c is on and or it is cold or rainy out side. But I'm not sure if the engine needs reprogramming for the airintke I just know it is the cool air intake causing the issue. Possibly from sucking too much o2 in the engine causing it to try and reducing the engine power due to too much o2. But as soon as the engine power reduce happens i put it in park and poo the hood I unplug the air intake wait a couple of seconds plug ut back in and the loud revving and vibrations stop as soon as I restart the car. I have to do this sometime multipal times in one trip where I may be driving to but it does stop the problem immediately. I just have to figure out if I need to reset the engine codes or replace the air intake on the car back to stock. But if anyone else trys and replaces their intake or a reprogramming before I am able to try myself please contact me at Charlieradlofff@gmail.com and inform on if it fixed the problem permanently hope this helps so your nit messing with your battery and wire harness when the problem is coming from cool air intake.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Mass air flow sensore

And also When u go to start it and it turns over rev the gas and it will bypass this likely a bad mass air flow sensor or bad plugs
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by classact
Im haveing the same problem.. I turn the key ive got a tick tick tick and car will not even crank.. ive done the battery and the computer and still nothing.. anyone know what wrong??
it's definitely your starter.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:04 PM

What ended up happening ?

Originally Posted by candygirl32
I have an 06 cobalt ls thats acting stranger by the min. The check engine light came on with a warning of engine pwr reduced. The car shut off while i was driving it. Well i replaced the throttle body. But the car still wont crank. The only code thats coming up i p0122. Now something is preventing the fuel from getting to the engine. I also replaced the fuel pump. Please help
What ended up happening ?