Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Engine Rattle: How to reproduce?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rattle: How to reproduce?

Hey guys, I've been reading and posting about my engine rattle for the past year (suspected timing chain tensioner). However, everytime I take it to the dealer, it decides not to do it (FML).

Does anyone else have this issue still, and if so, have you narrowed down how to reproduce it?

Here is a video of what mine sounds like (actual video):

Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Lol!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...r-help-232309/

Call GM Customer Support. 1-866-790-5700. Open a case with them, ask that a representative contact you regarding a consistent issue you are trying to replicate and have been to the dealership numerous time over. Every time I went to the dealership, they wouldn't give me documented proof that I was there. So I wasn't helping myself much. Every time you go, you will call your representative and leave them a message or speak with the directly. This will tally your visits and it will be on record, they WILL call the dealer and verify you were there.

I think I have the same exact issue as you. SAME EXACT!
I had been to the dealership at least AT LEAST 16 times trying to prove it to them. I sometimes when to a different dealership to see if maybe a 40 miles drive would cause it. Nope.

One day, I found out my backup lights weren't working and I was getting a strange noise over bumps (car is pulling left on highway). I took the service manager out for a ride, couldn't replicate the bumps but after we idled around a parking lot a bit and came to a stop, the chatter happened.

I popped the hood and he heard it plain as day. They took my car and determined it to be the exhaust cam position sensor and housing to be causing the sound. I am getting the part put in this Friday, as well as my reverse switch. We'll see if it fixes it. I will call my agent regardless.

Good luck man. I found it happens more predictably after you drove it, got it warm, let it set 10-15 and cool off a bit THEN took it out for a ride and let the car cruise at idle a couple times while coming to stops.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Now that I got home and am able to view the video, I can make a better assumption. If that noise is coming from the front of your engine, it would seem to be a chain tensioner.

If its toward the rear of the engine, it may be but I have. Open my thread and view my video.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Yeah I was just looking at your video. Odd, they sound similar, but mine is louder on the passenger side of the engine, yours seems louder on the drivers side. (correct?)
(My video is backwards)

I left the car there overnight since they already got me a rental, and I am going there in the morning to do a cold start with the mechanic. We're going to take a ride then. Good point on letting it get hot with a drive, rest for 20 minutes and then idle. I've noticed that too, but it seems so erratic sometimes.

Did you try showing them that video? I've loaded mine on my phone to show them tomorrow, though it probably won't make a difference to them.

Thanks for replying!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 PM

I did show them the video. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. And yes, I noticed that you video was flipped ;p