Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine removal

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the engine from a 2006 cobalt ss? I have access to a lift in my shop. i would rather not remove the entire subframe with engine and transmission because it will take up too much of my bay at work. Or is it just wayyyyy easier to remove from the bottom with the subframe and tranny all together?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by badboylb32
Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the engine from a 2006 cobalt ss? I have access to a lift in my shop. i would rather not remove the entire subframe with engine and transmission because it will take up too much of my bay at work. Or is it just wayyyyy easier to remove from the bottom with the subframe and tranny all together?
Easiest way is to remove the cradle through the bottom.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM

disconnect everything and drop the cradle out of the bottom.
GM performance division put out a build book so to speak here is part 1 and 2 showing how to remove the engine.

http://gmperformancedivision.com/con...J_Chap_1&2.pdf
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

It's easier to lift out from the top if you don't mind discharging the a/c and disconnecting the line that runs over the trans to the a/c compressor. You can do it with the line still connected from the top, but it's no walk in the park. Pulling it from underneath on the cradle still leaves it attached to the cradle and if the car needs to be moved at all, you have no front wheels.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Ok im a technician but pretty inexperienced. I do automatic transmissions. But anyway, So with the struts still on and rotors and everything still intact, you dont think i can put the wheels back on and roll it out? because thats a huge delimma right now being able to roll the car out of my work bay.

I appreciate all your advice
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Yeah you can reattach everything and roll it back out. I've done it both ways. It's by far easier to just yank the engine from the top ESPECIALLY if you need to have a rolling chassis. The only difficult part is, like I said, the a/c line that runs over top of the transmission. It's much easier to discharge the a/c and remove the line if possible.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by StreetDreamz
It's easier to lift out from the top if you don't mind discharging the a/c and disconnecting the line that runs over the trans to the a/c compressor. You can do it with the line still connected from the top, but it's no walk in the park. Pulling it from underneath on the cradle still leaves it attached to the cradle and if the car needs to be moved at all, you have no front wheels.

was this done on a super charged cobalt ? if so what all had to come off on engine and will the tranny come out with it its a 5 speed
thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
remove fuse box. disconnect i shaft and shift cables. remove ac lines and heater core hoses. take three nuts off each strut. take calipers off. take mounts off. cradle bolts. and there you have everything sitting there in front of you on the ground
Old 11-03-2015, 11:50 AM

I understand that but I really don't have the room or knowledge or gear to do It that way hope to get in contact with some one that has done it up top to give me some help
Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dropped my 09 out the bottom in May this year, set in on a couple of furniture dollies and rolled it out from under the car.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Its a royal pain in the ass to go out the top with the trans attached and next to impossible to do it leaving the trans in the car.

It has to go out the bottom and is the easiest way to do it. It saves you from having to remove a bunch of crap and since you have a lift it makes things so easy. Also going out the bottom you can leave a lot of things on the engine such as the header, ac compressor, and other stuff and take it all off when the engines out. And then for reassemvly you can literally stick nearly everything back on and stick it olin. If you have the technicle ability to go out the top you can go out the bottom. Its not as hard as you think.

The only specialty tools you need that some beginner mechanica dont have is a 21mm socket for the cradle bolts, a socket for the axle nuts(forgot the size), a impact gun, fuel line disconnect tool and thats really about it. The rest you need is your basic sockets wrenches pliers, picks and thats really about it.

The fact that you have doubts about taking the engine out the easiest way makes me think you should consult help or have s professional do it.

I can write up a rough how to later but it wont have pics and it will be for an lnf since thats what i have but an lsj isnt much different.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 AM

Ok great thanks
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
If you PM me your email address I can send you a book that tells you exactly how to remove the engine using a lift. Also, you can just borrow the axle nut socket from Autozone. The rest of the tools you should buy anyways since they would be universally useful.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:09 AM

PDF sent. The fact that you can remove the engine without disconnecting the a/c lines makes it that much easier to drop it out of the bottom. I did it in my garage without a lift. It's how they assembled the car, so it just makes sense to do it that way.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
I love how its "next to impossible" to remove the engine from the top with the trans still in the car. Yet i did it fine and reinstalled it the same way. Was my first time swapping an engine too. All you have to do its remove the harmonic balancer and leave the trans right where it is, angle the front of the motor up and it comes right out, yes its tight, but very doable.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
I love how its "next to impossible" to remove the engine from the top with the trans still in the car. Yet i did it fine and reinstalled it the same way. Was my first time swapping an engine too. All you have to do its remove the harmonic balancer and leave the trans right where it is, angle the front of the motor up and it comes right out, yes its tight, but very doable.
So you took trans out with motor or left it in? Was it a 5 speed or auto. Supercharged?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
It saves you from having to remove a bunch of crap and since you have a lift it makes things so easy.
Beaker do you have access to a lift? If so, this is a non-issue. Easier out the bottom hands-down. Without a lift it's easier.

Here are reasons:
Leave accessories intact
Leave a/c lines intact
No cherrypicker needed
Leave transmission intact
Leave wire harness intact
It's just easier
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 AM

do have a lift borrowed a cheery picker going to try and take it out the top that's how I have the job set up to do im in a small garage/barn with gravel floor

looks like the only thin I have left to do is remove the plastic clutch line have to figure that out never seen what like this before
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
your right its not impossible but i dont think its the easiest way espcially when someone admits their lack of experience. Its extremely tight and i find it a lot harder to line up the trans like that.

Going out the bottom is a 100 times simpilar. So what you have to take out the axle nuts 1and pull the axle from the hub, disconnect the steering rack from the column and hub, and sway bar end links. In the end when it comes time to disassemble everything its right in front of your face and when you put the trans on its less of a hassle to line it up. For some reason guys have issues lining up the f35. Not linig it up right leads to 90% of the tob failures here. I worked on these cars everyday and going out the bottom is by far the easiest way

Originally Posted by beaker555
So you took trans out with motor or left it in? Was it a 5 speed or auto. Supercharged?
He has a 2.2 with a lot less bs to take off but im not sure if he had a supercharger at the time or not.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
your right its not impossible but i dont think its the easiest way espcially when someone admits their lack of experience. Its extremely tight and i find it a lot harder to line up the trans like that.

Going out the bottom is a 100 times simpilar. So what you have to take out the axle nuts 1and pull the axle from the hub, disconnect the steering rack from the column and hub, and sway bar end links. In the end when it comes time to disassemble everything its right in front of your face and when you put the trans on its less of a hassle to line it up. For some reason guys have issues lining up the f35. Not linig it up right leads to 90% of the tob failures here. I worked on these cars everyday and going out the bottom is by far the easiest way

He has a 2.2 with a lot less bs to take off but im not sure if he had a supercharger at the time or not.
That's true, I had a ridiculous time mating it and I had it out of the car.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

I left the trans in, my car doesnt have AC so i never thought about having to disconnect that.
I have a 5 speed, and my car is turbo, which made it fun to put back in from the top but it went.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

do have a lift borrowed a cheery picker going to try and take it out the top that's how I have the job set up to do im in a small garage/barn with gravel floor

looks like the only thin I have left to do is remove the plastic clutch line have to figure that out never seen what like this before
On mine with the f23 theres just a little metal c clip that holds the clutch lines on.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM

On the f35 there is 2 c clips. One on top where the house meets the distrubution block and one where the distribution block meets the clutch pipe which you cant see because its in the trans but you can see the clip outside.

Take a tiny flat head and push the clip up or down depending on how its installed and grab it. Then pull the lins out. Take the distrubution block off as well because it make ls it easier to get the top bolt.

Just a note. Replace the distrubution block and clutch pipe and throw out bearing unless they wear done super recently.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:21 PM

hey everyone got the engine out and in here is a quick write up of how I did it out the top hope this will help someone else out

remove hood
jack up car and remove front wheels,ball joints and alxes both sides
removed S/C and belt
removed alternator and ac compressor
removed crank pulley bolt
removed all coolant hoses front and rear of engine
removed fuse panel and flopped out of way
removed harness from all sensors(don't forget the ones on top of tranny)
removed shift cables and clutch line from tranny
installed chain on engine
removed from engine mount and rear engine mount
removed exhaust from manifold
removed exhaust manifold
removed side tranny mount and side engine mount
motor came out top no problem with help from wife pumping up cherry picker

put motor in the same way took about 10hrs with lunch and supper break a few beer and smoke breaks too lol

it wasn't that bad to do out the top

thanks too all that helped me out
Old 09-15-2019, 05:18 PM

I know this post is old as hell but i just pulled my 2.0 lsj from my 07 cobalt yesterday out the top. Just a little tip for anyone looking to do this. it helps alot if you take off the crank pulley and the timing cover. Took us forever to get enough room to do it with it on. woulda been alot easier with it off.

Quick Reply: Engine removal