Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Exhaust Leak Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Leak Sound

Well today i revd at someone. Around 6 grand. when I left off and started going it soundsed weird. Kind of like marbles rattling. No not from supercharger. It is coming what seems like from the back of the engine and kind of sounds like ticking or slight pinging at idle. We get under the car and it sounds louder. I cant feel a leak but does this sound like an exhaust leak to anyone. Performance still seems to be there. Just hear this metal rattling sound now from undercar or near back of engine.
thnaks
Jake

I have appointment at dealer tomorrow hopefully it will be exhaust leak and covered under warranty

any help would be great
Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 AM

well ok first they thought it was the gasket after my cat, at that flange. the replaced that and the noise didnt go away yet they let the car sit all day and when i picked it up at night tried to tell me they couldnt hear it and let me drive away. Being the pain I am and the stealership these guys are. And yes im going to say these guys gve a bad name to all dealerships and service departments around the country.
But anyway.

Now they say its the flex pipe so he ordered the cat and flex assembly and that will be replaced on thursday. Although they had a few guys there trying to tal him out of it and blame the torque damper. Oh well. In my book its going under warranty, i didnt sign anything and they will not be charging me.

ill keep ya guys updated although it seems like no one cares
Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Mine sometimes makes a noise like that. I'm thinking of taking mine in at some point. I thought I would run some 93 octane in it for a few tanks and see if I still have the sound. I'm looking forward to see what you find out.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 AM

I care... I have the same issue, Flex Pipe eh? Hmm... Could very well be..!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there have been a few occasions with members on here where the flex pipe cracks.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Well i just took it to my guys at the muffler shop since they dont bullshit me and also to get a second opinion. Basically we couldnt find a leak, no black residue or anything but it is coming from near flex and cat area. He said let the dealer replace it this week like they were going to and see then. He told me it kind of sounds like a baffle or soming loose in there that just vibrates and gives that tinging or metal rattle sound. Basically we know its the exhaust and we are pretty sure that it is in that region. Well we will see how it goes when the cat and flex are replaced on thursday. Ill keep everyone updated.

Till then, im going to go take down some more ricers. This nice weather has given them high hopes. Its time to bring them back to earth and have them go ask thier mommies to buy them bigger turbos

later guys. Ill keep ya posted
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid 06
Well i just took it to my guys at the muffler shop since they dont bullshit me and also to get a second opinion. Basically we couldnt find a leak, no black residue or anything but it is coming from near flex and cat area. He said let the dealer replace it this week like they were going to and see then. He told me it kind of sounds like a baffle or soming loose in there that just vibrates and gives that tinging or metal rattle sound. Basically we know its the exhaust and we are pretty sure that it is in that region. Well we will see how it goes when the cat and flex are replaced on thursday. Ill keep everyone updated.

Till then, im going to go take down some more ricers. This nice weather has given them high hopes. Its time to bring them back to earth and have them go ask thier mommies to buy them bigger wings and stickars@!@@

later guys. Ill keep ya posted
fixed
Old 05-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

I had this SAME issue after revving mine to 6k RPM. I know it is exhaust related but it only makes the sound in gear (cant be in neutral and hear it since it is too smooth) and when it is in gear it starts when i shift at lower than 2k and try to pull it out to 3k. Thats when it is most pronounced. Sounded like the exhaust vibrating against something but had a higher pitched flange sound (from the rattle like a loose marble).
Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 AM

I had the same problem, it was my resonator... get them to check that.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 PM

yeah thats how mine started on a high rev. the resonator is after market, the muffler shop put that on so if the cat and flex dont fix it the shop will have to replace the resonator, or just take it out.
thanks for fixing that post too
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM

ok well they replaced my resonator. It wasnt that. Still makes the noise. Man I hope it isnt the engie. Im pretty sure i hear it sill around the cat. So hopefully the dealer gets it in soona dn swaps that out and I can update you guys further.

Im very paranoid and constantly think something is wrong with my car. I really hope its not the engine but the noise just sounds like a fine metal rattling fast as the air rushes through the flex and cat. Im not sure what sound the engine could make to sound like that. Also the performance is still there. some 325 i Beemer found that out tonight when he challenged me.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 PM

well fellas

CLOGGED CAT.

Thats what is was, the sound is now gone.

Only question is now, did i loose some power since it was tuned clogged qand some manifold pressure was loss.

In my opinion I should have gained a few back.

Well its fixed now you all know what to look for