Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Friends SS/SC MISFIRE *SOLVED*

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends SS/SC MISFIRE *SOLVED*

Just thought i would share this , others might find this helpful.

I have a friend with an 05 SS/SC (airbox mod , ingalls ETD rest stock) 40,000 miles... that has had a random misfire across all cylinders . He took it to two different dealerships and the first one couldn't help him , the 2nd proclaimed that the issue was fixed because there wasn't a light on and no codes were thrown . When he got it back it ran nice and smooth till about 5K rpm ...from there up it had dead spots all the way to redline, it felt like it just flattened out and stopped pulling .

He brings it over and i happened to have my stock injectors (practically new) from my 06 SS/SC so i decided i would try that first . What i found in the injectors was unreal ..... all the injectors were plugged solid with a redish silt that looks like RUST . Where the top of the injector insert's into the fuel rail..... had large deposits of the stuff that i had to scrap out of the rail itself . So with all the injector's out I decide to pull the fuel rail completely and flush it with carb cleaner . I used 2 can's of that before i stopped getting crap out of it .

So we decide to put the fuel pump fuse back in and run some gas out of the open line to flush that as well. When he turned the key on.... it push a big slug of rust out of the fuel line .... we had to do it 3 times before it cleared up ( the pump will only run so long before it shut's down, then you have to reset the computer and do it again) . We put it all back together and it run's like new, has more power than it has had in a long time according to him.

He says it's only had 93 oc gas from good stations and that the fuel filter was just changed a couple thousand miles ago. SO I'm wondering if the fuel lines are rusting from the inside ?? I'm sure if his car is like this that at 40K miles...... there are people here with the same issue . It's amazing the car ran at all , and that it didn't lean it self out with the fuel restrictions that it had . If you feel like the your car is flattening out and not pulling as hard as it used to in the higher RPM range ......this is an hour job ( basically free) that only cost's you a couple can's of cleaner. Even if you don't have a spare set of injectors , you can still clean them out pretty decent .

Sorry for the essay . I wish i would have thought to grab a camera ......you guy's would have been amazed.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i keep getting misfire on one cylinder that moves when i switch the injector to a different cylinder.

i have flowmatched Seimens 60#/hr injectors, i have had this once before a few months ago and i took it out and blew it out with an air hose, worked for a while
Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
holy crap thats weird...wonder if anyone else has seen this when they change injectors or check it now?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the price of premium gas the only ones that buy it are those that have to.

I cant belive that the fuel lines would be rusting from the inside but could be a possibility.

Does he add any kind of additives to his fuel ?Octane boost etc.

Or maybe some one added something to his tank with out his knowledge.

But I wish you had kept a sample and took it to the dealer to get it analiyzed so we knew for sure.
I hope its a one of thing because I dont think you will ever see a recall for fuel line replacement.

I wonder if you could remove his fuel filter and cut it open and post pics and to see if its coming from the tank or developing after it.

Does he store his car in the winter if so gas does become acidic over time thats why fuel stabilizer is recommended.

Great find and I will Remeber this .Thanks rukkee
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Coblasts
With the price of premium gas the only ones that buy it are those that have to.

I cant belive that the fuel lines would be rusting from the inside but could be a possibility.

Does he add any kind of additives to his fuel ?Octane boost etc.

Or maybe some one added something to his tank with out his knowledge.

But I wish you had kept a sample and took it to the dealer to get it analiyzed so we knew for sure.
I hope its a one of thing because I dont think you will ever see a recall for fuel line replacement.

I wonder if you could remove his fuel filter and cut it open and post pics and to see if its coming from the tank or developing after it.

Does he store his car in the winter if so gas does become acidic over time thats why fuel stabilizer is recommended.

Great find and I will Remeber this .Thanks rukkee
No problem +...Good post yourself Coblasts , good questions . This is what i know ...as far as what you asked .

The Car is stored for the winter , It sit's in a barn for at least 4 months a year that i know of .

He doesn't use any additives as far as i know cause i asked him the same thing.

I do have a sample..... now that i think about it , I used a small gas can to catch the gas from the fuel line flushing . It was a clean can but now the bottom is full of the "sediment" .

Some of the crap is pretty big , bigger than your average coffee grinds so i'm wondering if that could get by a new filter or not? Thats why i was thinking it could be the lines ....but I really have no idea . To be honest I'm not sure how much of the line is actually metal, I havent checked them out for any reason .

There is always a possibility that someone dumped the **** in his gas tank , but the way some of it looked ....It looked like it's been slowly plugging stuff up over a longer period of time . There were different layers of it that would pop off as i was scraping the outlets on the fuel rail .

Sorry for another essay lol ,
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
I dont live to far from CObb Tuning, they will clean injectors on a bench and re flowmatch them.

I might give that a try
Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the fuel tank is plastic and to my knowledge the metal parts of the fuel lines are stainless steel to prevent rusting, i dont think thats your issue. now if the old filter got plugged enough, well, i have seen fuel filters fail.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Sharkey
the fuel tank is plastic and to my knowledge the metal parts of the fuel lines are stainless steel to prevent rusting, i dont think thats your issue. now if the old filter got plugged enough, well, i have seen fuel filters fail.
I thought the tank was plastic , thanks for confirming it. The fuel filter going bad is a definite possibility , the dealer changed it for him before i saw the car. I'll get some pic's of the crap left over tomorrow .
Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I would like to see a good closeup of the crap that came out.

Could you filter some onto a white cloth or paper and post a pic.

also whats the texture or feel of this stuff(like rubber ,silicone,plastic etc...)

I would check his filter like I mentioned before maybe its whats breaking done (cut it open and take alook)
Because if it is the filter you will be doing the whole procedure over again shortly.For the price I would change it.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM

subscribed
Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

wow very interesting
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

I forgot about this .......I will get some pics of the stuff . I still have it in a sealed gas can so i will strain it out in a paper towel or something .
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 PM

wow, could this have been from the 4 months it sits in storage?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by importkiller
wow, could this have been from the 4 months it sits in storage?
I'm not sure honestly. He has been driving the car for the last 5-6 months .....so i would have guessed it would have had problems earlier . It's really hard to say for sure thou.